OGXbox.com

Cooling fan upgrades?

RazorStoJ

On 11/11/2022 at 2:06 AM, RazorStoJ said:

What's the most efficient cooling fan that does a bloody good job for the OGXbox, I'm running the stock fan and it's not the noise that bothers me but is there something more efficient that could keep everything cooler?

Usually my temps are around 40-50c with the stock fan at 100%

Is it a version 1.6 by any chance.

This is my 1.6 after power on for the 1st time in days I took the 1st pic a few seconds after the dash loaded and the other pic was about 20 seconds later.

It has the stock fan running at 40% 

PXL-20221109-100951161.jpg

The HDD temp is more realistic 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I bought a used 1.0 box with noisy fans. I lubricated both the gpu and system fans with deoxit and left them to dry for a few days. The fans are quiet now and the hdd is now noticeably loud. 

You could use a either a 12v 60mm noctua fan or a nexxus 70mm fan and 3d print the fan mount brackets. These are two most popular fan mods for the Xbox.

Edited by Nier
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
28 minutes ago, Halo_2 said:

Is the noctua fan mod worth it believe it runs quieter but also hotter ???

I’ve never actually used one but I’d be interested to hear people’s experiences with it. From everything I’ve read you either have the people that love it because it’s quiet or the people that hate it because while quieter it’s also smaller than the stock and has to run faster to move a sufficient amount of air to work as well. Additionally they say, as you mentioned, that the Xbox still seems to run hotter than with the stock fan. I’d love to know what someone with hands on with it experienced though. I’ve always just replaced stock with other stock fans from parts Xboxes but eventually that’ll run out. If it’s a viable alternative that would be cool (no pun intended lol). 

Has anyone tried graphite thermal pads? I'm curious to know their effectiveness. I bought some earlier this year but seeing them start to flake with handling scared the hell out of me, lol. They'd need to conduct heat VERY well for me to consider risking using one. Let me pose the question here rather than start a new thread or necrobump one.

• 1 month later...

Looking at this again as I recently replaced the stock fan with a quieter one, but even with faster speeds my temps are still higher. It's a 70mm fan but looks to be only half the thickness of the stock fan so presumably the stock is shifting way more air per revolution. My temps were creeping over 60 with it so I've ended reverting back to the original that keeps temps mid 50s and below. Is there any better performing quiet fan than the original?

^ Degrees Centigrade or Fahrenheit?

My experience with replacing the thermal paste is that it made little difference to the reported temperatures in °C.

You risk damaging the CPU/GPU chip getting the heat sink off and plenty of people have broken the irreplaceable plastic heat sink retainers too. So all in all you have to have extraordinarily high temperatures, you're certain is caused by ageing thermal paste, to make it worth the risk.

Some people suggest that the hardened, bubblegum-like consistency of the paste MS used in the Xbox is an indication it is old and needs replacing. They're wrong - the thermal paste used is a "phase change" type which is behaving just as intended ie. hard and glue like when at room temperature but softens with heating.

That is why you MUST only attempt to remove the heat sinks when they're warmed up.   

I’ve had a lot of luck with it personally and I was referring to a ten degree Celsius drop. That’s just my personal experience though. If you’re running with normal temps after playing a game for a while though there’s no reason to mess with it. 

Agreed on only removing after it’s warmed up. Definitely do not try and pry it off like many people on the internet suggest. Still can’t get over seeing people do that. The cpu heat sink  usually falls off but the gpu takes some heating up. Definitely take the heat sink retainers off the nice way rather than prying them off with a screwdriver on the clip. The nice way being putting a small amount of pressure on the non clip side so you can gingerly remove the clip from the other side with no tools. Since they’re old and plastic there’s always a risk of breaking but it is much reduced when removing them that way compared to using a spudger or screwdriver. That’s all just my opinion and personal experience doing a lot of original Xboxes. I know some people don’t bother with the thermal at all or think it’s necessary and that’s cool too. I know there are basically two camps on this subject from those of us that have worked with them a while. To each his own. :) 

Overall I definitely wouldn’t suggest for someone to attempt this  if you’ve never replaced thermal paste or removed retainers and heat sinks from anything before (like a pc) or feel uncomfortable in attempting it. As @HDShadow mentions it absolutely has to be done correctly or you can permanently damage your processors and board. Plus there’s always some risk to the retainers even when you know what you’re doing and much more risk if you don’t. Also, as mentioned before, if you’re within normal operating temps it’s probably fine just to leave it be.

• Like 1