OGXbox.com

Cannot load discs after dash has loaded.

zono

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone could help or test themselves maybe if they have a similar setup.

I am running an EVOX dashboard (the latest i think), and form there can load Unleashx aswell.

Everything else is working OK but cannot load discs (even originals) after the dash has loaded,

I have the same problem when trying with unleashx,

The status says checking after inserting a disc, then after a few secs says unknown.

The discs will load if inserted then the console is rebooted.

Here are a few key lines from the ini -

AutoLaunchGames	= Yes
AutoLaunchDVD	= No
DVDPlayer	= "e:\Apps\dvdx2\default.xbe"
AutoLaunchAudio	= No

Current		= 0xBEC9F026E59B170EF24142B7A71A8A3C

Section "Root"
{
	Item "Launch DVD Movie",ID_Launch_DVD

Should these settings allow booting of a disc when inserting after the dash has loaded ?

Any ideas ?

The autolaunch is set and theoretically should launch a game when insterted.

The DVDPlayer value there is often just the original dashboard dvd player app, the one for playing DVD movies and such.

Here is the same lines from Rocky5 EvolutionX evox.ini

AutoLaunchGames = No
AutoLaunchDVD = No
DVDPlayer = "c:\xboxdash.xbe"
AutoLaunchAudio = No

I think most likely you are having an issue with the physical DVD drive itself. Perhaps try putting a disc in and powering down, then powering up and see if it auto-launches. You might need to take it apart and clean it. Or get another one, these are often the first things to go on the old consoles.

Edited by Natetronn

The question is why the games, which will boot on Xbox start up, do not launch from the EvoX dash zono is using?

Whether the games are auto or manually launched from the dash it should not make any difference.  The DVD drive is, obviously, working.

Does launching a dashboard actually lower the power to the DVD drive and weaken an ageing laser to the point it can't read the disc? That's not something I've read about being a possibility or come across myself.

Still, cleaning the laser lens and the whole DVD drive in general is good advice anyway and it might work. Its certainly shouldn't exacerbate the problem if done with care.

Hello Natetronn and HDShadow,

Thank you for the replies,  have done some more investigating and .....

After changing to DVDPlayer = "c:\xboxdash.xbe" in the EVOX ini

game discs inserted after boot randomly will autoboot like 2 times out of 10, else drive status says unknown.

The strange thing is if the disc is left in the tray when the console is turned on success rate is 100% ?

It's probably the laser but maybe something else not sure what though.

I may look to get a new DVD drive.

Thank you for your replies.

6 hours ago, zono said:

Hello Natetronn and HDShadow,

Thank you for the replies,  have done some more investigating and .....

After changing to DVDPlayer = "c:\xboxdash.xbe" in the EVOX ini

game discs inserted after boot randomly will autoboot like 2 times out of 10, else drive status says unknown.

The strange thing is if the disc is left in the tray when the console is turned on success rate is 100% ?

It's probably the laser but maybe something else not sure what though.

I may look to get a new DVD drive.

Thank you for your replies.

Yeah, if it's working intermittently, then I would say it's dying. May be able to get it to work, by increasing the laser intensity with the pots.

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2022 at 2:48 PM, zono said:

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone could help or test themselves maybe if they have a similar setup.

I am running an EVOX dashboard (the latest i think), and form there can load Unleashx aswell.

Everything else is working OK but cannot load discs (even originals) after the dash has loaded,

I have the same problem when trying with unleashx,

The status says checking after inserting a disc, then after a few secs says unknown.

The discs will load if inserted then the console is rebooted.

Here are a few key lines from the ini -

AutoLaunchGames	= Yes
AutoLaunchDVD	= No
DVDPlayer	= "e:\Apps\dvdx2\default.xbe"
AutoLaunchAudio	= No

Current		= 0xBEC9F026E59B170EF24142B7A71A8A3C

Section "Root"
{
	Item "Launch DVD Movie",ID_Launch_DVD

Should these settings allow booting of a disc when inserting after the dash has loaded ?

Any ideas ?

I had very similar issues after placing a new hdd with a sata2ide2 startech adapter and an 80-wire ide cable and the problem was exactly the ide cable. But if you haven't changed anything recently then the problem is something else