OGXbox.com

Does my modchip need to be replaced

SuperWolf73

Hello to anyone reading this. My probably is I'm a noob who found an already chipped Xbox at a thrift store, an I'm trying to figure out if the modchip is going bad or if I'm doing something wrong I think it's a Xecuter 2 lite from my research. When I found this Xbox it was in working order, but the hard drive failed not long after I bought it that was back in 2020, so I set it a side for when I had the time to fix it. So now I've been trying to flash the new bios on the chip, but every time I get a "not writeable error" on it. I've tried the Slayer disc and Hexen 2018 and 2021 but nothing is working. also if I disable the chip something called gentoox pop ups. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20221106_122233_kindlephoto-516157479.jpg

IMG_20221106_120946_kindlephoto-516072716.jpg

@KaosEngineer Thanks for replying. I was was able to get the hard drive setup, but I still can't flash the chip and can't take full advantage of my 320GB drive. Also I messed up an meant that even with the chip disable that when I try to power on the Xbox anytime with the unprotected switch off it goes to Gentoox, but with the protected switch on it loads to the new dashboard and engineering disc menu. So could that be why I can't flash the chip. Also sorry I meant to public message not direct

2 hours ago, SuperWolf73 said:

@KaosEngineer Thanks for replying. I was was able to get the hard drive setup, but I still can't flash the chip and can't take full advantage of my 320GB drive. Also I messed up an meant that even with the chip disable that when I try to power on the Xbox anytime with the unprotected switch off it goes to Gentoox, but with the protected switch on it loads to the new dashboard and engineering disc menu. So could that be why I can't flash the chip. Also sorry I meant to public message not direct

The labeling on the external PCB may not match the operations as labeled.  That board usually connects to a different revision of the modchip than the one you have in your Xbox.  You can simply place jumpers across the pins to select the function of each jumper:

xs-dia02.gif (600×419) (archive.org)

JP3 - Flash Protect - IIRC, these are the settings:

(Note: The X2.0Pro info I found says the opposite for it; however, the X2.0 Lite is a different modchip.)

• Jumper on - flash is write protected
  • Jumper off - flash is writeable

JP2 - Modchip on (enabled) / off (disabled)

• Jumper on - modchip on 
  • Jumper off - modchip off

JP1 - BIOS Bank Select

• Jumper on - bank 1 or 2
  • Jumper off - bank 2 or 1

For JP1, I'm not sure which setting selects the first 512 KB bank or second 512 KB bank of the modchip's 1 MB flash memory chip.

Here's what I wrote in an old reddit.com post:

For :: X-ecuter2.0 Lite/ Configure jumpers before you insert the modchip.

Modchip is flash-protected if jumper is on modchip

Modchip is enabled if jumper is on modchip.

Bios switch: Selects one of the two 512KB BIOS banks on the modchip. Not sure which configuration of the jumper, on or off, selects bank 1 or bank 2. It doesn't really matter if you know which BIOS you've flashed for a particular jumper configuration.

5 hours ago, SuperWolf73 said:

@KaosEngineer Thank you thank you thank you, I rotated the switch wires an was able to flash the chip and get access to the F partition. Also I used a 256KB bios should I go back and do a 512KB. But once thank you again for the chip info.

No need to reflash. Most flashing software auto-sizes a BIOS (2 copies of a 256KB BIOS flashed one after the other to fill the 512KB bank).  Gentoox Loader is one of the only flashing tools that does NOT auto-resize a BIOS to fill the bank size.