OGXbox.com

Capacitor replacement help

xert13

Hello, I was changing out all the capacitors on the OGXbox. The Xbox is a working one. I didn't check for continuity before starting the work. After half way through, I started checking for continuity and saw that there is continuity on capacitors C7E2 and C7F1, circled in the picture. There is no continuity on the other caps, just these two. They show continuity to each other and to ground. I removed the capacitors, but the holes still show continuity, but the capacitors by themselves do not. I am a noob, so I do not know if the continuity is meant to be or not. I held the wires on there for a while to see if it will go away after filling up some caps, but nope. It also shows short to one side of all other caps as well. So, is it supposed to be or not? Please help, I do not want to ruin the board. (Ver. 1.4/1.5)

Caps.jpeg

Edited by xert13

Those capacitors are in parallel ( the 2 positives are linked and the 2 negatives are linked) so if you really wanted you could fit 1 capacitor that twice the capacity as the original (eg 1 X 200uf = 2 X 100uf )  the same with the main CPU/GPU filter caps.

As for the continuity to ground I get 19.5 ohm from the cap+ to ground on a salvage board

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Those capacitors are in parallel ( the 2 positives are linked and the 2 negatives are linked) so if you really wanted you could fit 1 capacitor that twice the capacity as the original (eg 1 X 200uf = 2 X 100uf )  the same with the main CPU/GPU filter caps.

As for the continuity to ground I get 19.5 ohm from the cap+ to ground on a salvage board

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Oh thank you, but I get a constant short between the + and - of cap1.

I tried to replace those exact 2 caps on the weekend as they were leaking, took 2 non leaking ones from another Xbox. Worked for a few hours, came back today and the Xbox is fragging.

I've had such a bad time replacing caps on old Xboxes i went out and bought this KATSU Tools 140W Desoldering Rework Station https://amzn.eu/d/3s2vfJS

I find half the time caps come out smooth as butter, and the other half they get stuck in like concrete or I can't get one of the legs through.

Will this help do you think? 

Ps I'm pretty sure i just botched the 2nd one, couldn't get the leg of the original cap out so soldered the replacement jankily on top of it. I'm dumb I know but hope i can rescue this.

Edited by hastings298

On 11/7/2022 at 8:42 AM, xert13 said:

Oh thank you, but I get a constant short between the + and - of cap1.

Don't use the diode test mode as it will report a short at 19.5ohm depending on your meter set it to 1k scale

Cheers

SS Dave