OGXbox.com

Cerbios Dual HDD support?

Bowlsnapper

I picked this one up from Nemisis when I got my last XeniumICE package from him. I haven't asked him yet if he would share the file for the caddy after purchase. I'm probably going to spend some time with Blender and some calipers if he doesn't want to share 😉.

It also came with an adapter for the DVD drive plug to fix the eject issue on non-Cerbios no-dvd fixes. I don't regret the purchase.

1 hour ago, zatchbot said:

I picked this one up from Nemisis when I got my last XeniumICE package from him. I haven't asked him yet if he would share the file for the caddy after purchase. I'm probably going to spend some time with Blender and some calipers if he doesn't want to share 😉.

It also came with an adapter for the DVD drive plug to fix the eject issue on non-Cerbios no-dvd fixes. I don't regret the purchase.

Calipers... aren't there like, 3d scanners? That's money, though. Calipers are cheap.

Eject issue? Adapter goes on the yellow molex cable?

Question is: what can you even do with 32tb or storage on an OG? Much beyond 4tb is incredibly hard to fill. Not knocking it though, nature abhors a vacuum and hopefully people will find ways of utilising the storage.

Hopefully it kicks off a renaissance in using the OG as a media player; I managed to watch a few downscaled blu-rays after carefully tweaking their encoding but it was kind of a headache. Great picture and sound quality though. If someone could make the process of encoding stuff easier, I could see more people using this kind of storage.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Calipers... aren't there like, 3d scanners? That's money, though. Calipers are cheap.

Eject issue? Adapter goes on the yellow molex cable?

Yeah, I have calipers already and only really need the dementions of the post holes and can then remix one of the free files already out there. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel lol.

Yes to the adapter on the molex. Technically this kit is designed to relocate your HDD over the mobo to allow fans to be installed over the PSU. Thats cool and all, but 32tb of storage is cooler. (It may, in fact, be hotter once im done 😂)

2 hours ago, hastings298 said:

Question is: what can you even do with 32tb or storage on an OG? Much beyond 4tb is incredibly hard to fill. Not knocking it though, nature abhors a vacuum and hopefully people will find ways of utilising the storage.

Hopefully it kicks off a renaissance in using the OG as a media player; I managed to watch a few downscaled blu-rays after carefully tweaking their encoding but it was kind of a headache. Great picture and sound quality though. If someone could make the process of encoding stuff easier, I could see more people using this kind of storage.

If you run the entire unique library of around 1045 games as full ~7gb as full ISO you need a 8-10tb HDD just to hold the OX library. I personally have another 1.2tb of retro roms and emulators in my build. I plan to use the rest of the space as onsite backup for my media server. All my important stuff has a cloud backup, but I can't justify payimg to stire ~5tb of movies and music. I haven't been able to justify purchasing another large storage solution recently and this will be a great option. I have seen others share ffmpeg downscaling solutions that they claim have worked but haven't tried any myself yet.

Edited by zatchbot
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, zatchbot said:

Yeah, I have calipers already and only really need the dementions of the post holes and can then remix on of the free files already out there. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel lol.

Yes to the adapter on the molex. Technically this kit is designed to relocate yours HDD over the mobo to allow fans to be installed over the PSU. Thats cool and all, but 32tb of storage is cooler. (It may, in fact, be hotter once im done 😂)

If you run the entire unique library of around 1045 games as full ~7gb as full ISO you need a 8-10tb HDD just to hold the OX library. I personally have another 1.2tb of retro roms and emulators in my build. I plan to use the rest of the space as onsite backup for my media server. All my important stuff has a cloud backup, but I can't justify payimg to stire ~5tb of movies and music. I haven't been able to justify purchasing another large storage solution recently and this will be a great option. I have seen others share ffmpeg downscaling solutions that they claim have worked but haven't tried any myself yet.

Thanks for reminding me, that was the approach I stumbled upon; ffmpeg downscaling worked extremely well. Excellent picture quality on the OG.

3 hours ago, hastings298 said:

I've been saying this for years now. I listen to Hi-Res music because I hear the difference and I hate data compression in audio. It would be nice to use the Xbox for this purpose. High bitrate audio just uses a lot of space, so high capacity would be useful in this regard. I've also been wishing for years that somebody would code an automatic encoder for video to make that process as painless as possible, the only variables being the amount of RAM installed and processor speed, to maximize the quality of the video relative to what kind of performance your system is capable of. If I could code, I would have done it already.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2022 at 5:03 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

I've been saying this for years now. I listen to Hi-Res music because I hear the difference and I hate data compression in audio. It would be nice to use the Xbox for this purpose. High bitrate audio just uses a lot of space, so high capacity would be useful in this regard. I've also been wishing for years that somebody would code an automatic encoder for video to make that process as painless as possible, the only variables being the amount of RAM installed and processor speed, to maximize the quality of the video relative to what kind of performance your system is capable of. If I could code, I would have done it already.

What is the best ffmpeg command to convert modern H.264/H.265/HEVC videos in the format that Xbox can handle? While making my streaming app I was using some command from XBMC4Xbox forum from BuZZ, but quality wasn't so good in dark areas. Can you share some info on how to get best quality for OG Xbox?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, antonic901 said:

What is the best ffmpeg command to convert modern H.264/H.265/HEVC videos in the format that Xbox can handle? While making my streaming app I was using some command from XBMC4Xbox forum from BuZZ, but quality wasn't so good in dark areas. Can you share some info on how to get best quality for OG Xbox?

Seconded... although I'm assuming that stock processor speeds and tragically low RAM necessitate some serious compression to avoid memory crashes and frame drops. Compression which will result in a loss of dynamic range,which will, in turn, manifest itself in things like washed out darks... or artifacting that is more noticeable in dark areas.

• 1 month later...

This is a bit late but here's some testing I did a while back on a stock 64MB Xbox in regards to video encoding and what the og can handle. The link below goes to my Google drive spreadsheet which you can use to see the methods I went through. There was a lot more to it than what you see

Xbox video encoding test

TL;DR

720x480 MPEG-4 2Mbps 60fps runs well (basically DVD quality)

1280x720 XMV 8Mbps 30fps is the highest resolution the Xbox can reasonably handle without running like poopoo

Edited by Jay Yardley

On 11/8/2022 at 1:20 AM, Bowlsnapper said:

Seconded... although I'm assuming that stock processor speeds and tragically low RAM necessitate some serious compression to avoid memory crashes and frame drops. Compression which will result in a loss of dynamic range,which will, in turn, manifest itself in things like washed out darks... or artifacting that is more noticeable in dark areas.

With Stellar’s upgraded RAM, this may be something to look into now. Possibly supports higher bit rates?

Edited by MadMartigan

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 2:53 PM, MadMartigan said:

With Stellar’s upgraded RAM, this may be something to look into now. Possibly supports higher bit rates?

Will the CPU bottleneck?

On 1/7/2023 at 1:30 PM, Jay Yardley said:

This is a bit late but here's some testing I did a while back on a stock 64MB Xbox in regards to video encoding and what the og can handle. The link below goes to my Google drive spreadsheet which you can use to see the methods I went through. There was a lot more to it than what you see

Xbox video encoding test

TL;DR

720x480 MPEG-4 2Mbps 60fps runs well (basically DVD quality)

1280x720 XMV 8Mbps 30fps is the highest resolution the Xbox can reasonably handle without running like poopoo

You got 720p to run at a consistent 30fps?