OGXbox.com

Halo 2 DVD2Xbox Mystery

hastings298

Hi all!

I've got a hold of an OSSC and put the scanlines on, everything looks great. So I was playing Halo 2 direct from the disc, everything works great. Decided I'd like to rip it to the HDD using DVD2Xbox. 2 Files failed to copy... ok weird, DVD is pretty much pristine but w/e.

Get a second copy of Halo 2, same files fail to copy a second time. From a completely different disc. They seemed to be the map files for New Mombasa and High Charity.

This is very strange, anyone encountered this error before? I thought my disc was damaged but after trying a second copy I'm stumped.

Name length of those files, perhaps? Have you tried copying them direct from the original disc using either the XBMC or UnleashX file manger? If they still won't copy then I suspect it was something like that.

What I can confirm is that (PAL) Halo 2 Classic version (original disc) installed, without any problem as far as I can remember, on my chipped Xbox which uses a Hitachi DVD drive. There's no specific ACL patch for it either AFAIK.

Are you using an original disc or 'backup' ones? If the latter I'd think the original download might be at fault. There's a good chance that if you tried using 'different' download sources that they were actually all originally from the same archive so the fault would repeat for all of them.

EDIT

I'm currently retrying the install with DVD2Xbox on the same machine and just as I started posting this the 03b_newmombasa.map copied without issue and................just now the 07a_highcharity.map finished copying too. So it is not an unsupported character or path length matter.

Finished copying: 14 mins 37secs and no files failed to copy.

Just read your last reply and it is an odd problem but if you have them installed now OK that's the most important thing.

I cannot see any reason why those particular maps wouldn't copy using DVD2Xbox, they're large map files but not the largest ones and the names do not include any unusual characters. Using a particular disc drive should not cause a problem with those two but not with other maps.

BTW meant to ask about Halo 2 maps but having uninstalled the game and Halo as well to save space on the 160GB HDD I was using I've never got around to them. Thanks to your problem I now have Halo 2 installed again on a 1TB HDD so I wondered how they are used. I assume they're just multiplayer but I don't recall there being a multiplayer option in the main menu.

Enlighten me. :)

Edited by HDShadow
  • Thanks 1

I ended up searching for the precise map files which I found https://haloce3.com/xmf/ then copying them over via FTP. Works flawlessly and I was able to continue my Halo 2 campaign :) I really can't explain it. I'm using XBMC4Gamers and I tried 'manually' copy/pasting those exact two map files over from the disk to the drive and XBMC threw the exact same (equivalent) error saying that they just can't be read/copied whatever. I can only think this is maybe something very obscure related to the flashed DVD drive i'm using (which as far as I can tell has had no issues running any other Xbox game I've thrown at it). I did try adding a few more via DVD2Xbox and some completed flawlessly (Cold Fear) and others (Lord of the Rings) threw similar errors where 1-2 files couldn't be copied over.

I thought the disks were just scratched or old but they're all in pretty great condition. So I don't know what causes random very specific files to not read.

PS these are all 100% official discs that I own and am trying to rip, not burned discs. 

15 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Name length of those files, perhaps? Have you tried copying them direct from the original disc using either the XBMC or UnleashX file manger? If they still won't copy then I suspect it was something like that.

What I can confirm is that (PAL) Halo 2 Classic version (original disc) installed, without any problem as far as I can remember, on my chipped Xbox which uses a Hitachi DVD drive. There's no specific ACL patch for it either AFAIK.

Are you using an original disc or 'backup' ones? If the latter I'd think the original download might be at fault. There's a good chance that if you tried using 'different' download sources that they were actually all originally from the same archive so the fault would repeat for all of them.

EDIT

I'm currently retrying the install with DVD2Xbox on the same machine and just as I started posting this the 03b_newmombasa.map copied without issue and................just now the 07a_highcharity.map finished copying too. So it is not an unsupported character or path length matter.

Finished copying: 14 mins 37secs and no files failed to copy.

Just read your last reply and it is an odd problem but if you have them installed now OK that's the most important thing.

I cannot see any reason why those particular maps wouldn't copy using DVD2Xbox, they're large map files but not the largest ones and the names do not include any unusual characters. Using a particular disc drive should not cause a problem with those two but not with other maps.

BTW meant to ask about Halo 2 maps but having uninstalled the game and Halo as well to save space on the 160GB HDD I was using I've never got around to them. Thanks to your problem I now have Halo 2 installed again on a 1TB HDD so I wondered how they are used. I assume they're just multiplayer but I don't recall there being a multiplayer option in the main menu.

Enlighten me. :)

So those specific maps are actually part of the Halo 2 campaign rather than being multiplayer maps. I do have the multiplayer map pack that was released as part of the Halo Triple Pack but I'm not really sure how installing those to the HDD would work exactly (do they overwrite part of Halo 2? do I have to run it from the disc? honestly never even thought about it).

Re: Multiple Halo 2 discs refusing to rip those 2 map files via DVD2Xbox, I may drag out my Xbox 360 and try ripping a Halo 2 disc or two to that machine and see if its DVD drive manages to read them correctly. Not sure what the weak link is here; far as I can tell the drive functions fine for the most part, most games rip fine to the HDD, just seems like a weird failure. A similar issue happened with GTA San Andreas but I only have 1 copy of that unfortunately.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hastings298 said:

Ok I tried 4 different copies (I know, it's weird to have that many copies of Halo 2) and DVD2Xbox fails to read the exact same 2 files every time. Only thing that's unusual about my Xbox DVD drive is that it's a HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8164b made by LG that was flashed to be able to read xbox discs.

Timesplitters 2 is another that will fail on specific files. I never got to the bottom of it 😂 just used my normal drive and it worked first time. 
(also using the PC drive sounded like my Xbox was going to take off 😂)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rocky5 said:

Timesplitters 2 is another that will fail on specific files. I never got to the bottom of it 😂 just used my normal drive and it worked first time. 
(also using the PC drive sounded like my Xbox was going to take off 😂)

YES I naively assumed that the PC drive being as loud as a jet engine would read discs more effectively... and it does, sort of, sometimes, I mean loading times when playing off the disc are faster (i think?). So I take it this is just a quirk of using a PC drive, then? Some games have issues ripping? I guess i'll have to fall back on FTP when this happens then.