OGXbox.com

Accessing Original Microsoft Dashboard on Chipped XBOX for Insignia (black screen?)

hastings298

Hello all!

I've been tinkering around with my X3 OG Xbox to get it ready for Insignia, and the main issue I'm having is that every time I try to access the original MS Dashboard - I can hear the astronaut/space background sound, so I know it's *there*, but it's a black screen.

I believe this has SOMETHING to do with the resolution my xbox is running in: I am using an XOSVP/component cable and the xbox is set to 480p/720p+1080i disabled.

IIRC the MS Dashboard is... 480i? Could that be why I only get a black screen when trying to access the Xbox Live account settings?

I managed to get it to appear after messing around with a bunch of settings and hauling a scart TV out and connecting it via a scart connector, but as this is a huge hassle, is there some way to access this dashboard without screwing up all my resolution settings?

I see a "Modded Microsoft Dashboard 5960" available for download via XBMC4GAMERS but I'm afraid to download that in case it screws up xbmc4gamers.

Anyone able to help please?

Making some progress here. Downloaded the V2 MS dashboard via xbmc4gamers, launched it in 480p, set the DNS to Insignia.

Realised that on re-entering xbmc4gamers, that it was rewriting over the DNS settings. I changed it from Automatic to Dashboard, which seems to have resolved this issue and it is now storing the correct settings stored in the MS Dashboard.

The only remaining issue is that Insignia's troubleshooting section says my BIOS is blocking XBL, so that may be the reason why I'm unable to complete the Insignia registration process when i'm in MS Dashboard.

Will have to figure that out somehow, progress though! Thank you

After flashing EvoX M8 and initially getting a black screen, I realised I wasn't using the LBA 48 compatible version of EvoX M8, after flashing that to a bank on my X3 I managed to successfully boot up, run the Insignia XBL setup successfully (without it warning about my BIOS blocking XBL). Then I set my bank BIOS back to Cerbios and now I boot up into XBMC4Gamers as normal and get the "Connected to Xbox Live" green light when I launch the MS Dashboard and perform a connection test! Looks like everything is working now. Woohooo!!!

Thanks again

Edited by hastings298
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, hastings298 said:

After flashing EvoX M8 and initially getting a black screen, I realised I wasn't using the LBA 48 compatible version of EvoX M8, after flashing that to a bank on my X3 I managed to successfully boot up, run the Insignia XBL setup successfully (without it warning about my BIOS blocking XBL). Then I set my bank BIOS back to Cerbios and now I boot up into XBMC4Gamers as normal and get the "Connected to Xbox Live" green light when I launch the MS Dashboard and perform a connection test! Looks like everything is working now. Woohooo!!!

Thanks again

You can use the X3 BIOS. Me and another guy just got it working at the same time. Just disable "Disable auto XBL login" in X3 ConfigLive and it'll communicate with the insignia servers.

Unless you're set on CerBIOS. :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

You can use the X3 BIOS. Me and another guy just got it working at the same time. Just disable "Disable auto XBL login" in X3 ConfigLive and it'll communicate with the insignia servers.

Unless you're set on CerBIOS. :)

Thanks Bowlsnapper, I'm really liking Cerbios because of how insanely fast boot up is and I have a feeling my SSD likes UDMA5 mode that only Cerbios offers, so I'll leave X3 1024kb on the 1234 bank and stick with Cerbios 256kb in bank 8 :) X3 definitely has some unique options I like to check out from time to time but the speed is unbeatable on Cerbios.

Only slightly odd thing to add, is that although I saw "Disable auto XBL login" in my X3 ConfigLive, IIRC it was actually disabled already (or not enabled, however you want to put it) so AFAIK it shouldn't have been blocking XBL in theory but I guess it must have been.

So great to see 4 green lights after all these years!

4 hours ago, hastings298 said:

Thanks Bowlsnapper, I'm really liking Cerbios because of how insanely fast boot up is and I have a feeling my SSD likes UDMA5 mode that only Cerbios offers, so I'll leave X3 1024kb on the 1234 bank and stick with Cerbios 256kb in bank 8 :) X3 definitely has some unique options I like to check out from time to time but the speed is unbeatable on Cerbios.

Only slightly odd thing to add, is that although I saw "Disable auto XBL login" in my X3 ConfigLive, IIRC it was actually disabled already (or not enabled, however you want to put it) so AFAIK it shouldn't have been blocking XBL in theory but I guess it must have been.

So great to see 4 green lights after all these years!

Yeah, I think the XBL blocking could be better labeled in CL. Disabling something that disables something is a bit confusing for a second or two.

I mentioned in the other insignia thread that it was odd to see the "Insignia User Agreement" in the MS Dashboard. Pretty damn cool.

• Like 1