OGXbox.com

Introducing my new project: ArdPromSD

dtomcat

Name is subject to change.  This uses the LPC port (no rebuild or soldering necessary). Current state, it can backup your eeprom (eeprom.bin) to SD and/or write an eeprom.bin to your eeprom. 

hoping to have it decrypt the eeprom and give you plain text Xbox keys (for insignia registration when manual registration is released) or to just keep as a backup in case a corruption or hdd failure

POC Video

thoughts?

7FD5C8C9-888A-4D1F-80D5-4FEF9FE97139.png

Edited by Dtomcat18
  • Like 6

They did….  But I don’t want to hardmod it yet and no exploitable games so can’t do it softmod way.    Eeprom duties is the main reason for the build… but figured if it can give you what you need to register it… why not.  With this.  You don’t have to rebuild LPC (1.6)… remove solder (1.0) or add a pin header.  It will function with a pin header though… and no need to mod in any way 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

They did….  But I don’t want to hardmod it yet and no exploitable games so can’t do it softmod way.    Eeprom duties is the main reason for the build… but figured if it can give you what you need to register it… why not.  With this.  You don’t have to rebuild LPC (1.6)… remove solder (1.0) or add a pin header.  It will function with a pin header though… and no need to mod in any way 

Cool, man! Nice work! :) I'm spoiled and I forget that not everybody's modded.

Ok... so I have the code done (minus commenting code).  That's the good news.  I like how it functions... easy and to the point... and fast!.   The bad news... my other code with decrypting the eeprom, is too large.  There just isn't enough memory to decrypt it the eeprom and have SD writing.   Even my code with serial output is give the error of low memory... possible instability.  I am, unfortunately, scraping the decrypting side of my idea.    There will be two firmwares.  First is down and dirty... does what it's intended to do, reliably (no feedback other than LEDs).  The Second... has serial active and writes to the serial console.  It gives details above errors and tells what it's doing.  This will help with troubleshooting any issues.  I have these as separate firmwares only due to the possibility of instability due to low memory.

Rundown of steps.

Plug into LPC (or use pogo pins ...4 pins needed)
the Red and Green LEDs light up
the arduino tries to initialize the SD card
then tries to find the "epbackup" folder. <--- Where it will save the eeprom backup (backs up the eeprom every time it's powered up... no action needed)
if folder doesn't exist... it makes it
next, it tries to talk to the EEPROM
if successful, it creates the EEPROM.BIN file, reads the eeprom, and writes it to the .bin file.
if successful, closes the file and extinguishes the Red LED.

If anytime any step above fails, the Green LED is extinguished and program halts.

The above happens at every power up with no actions.

After the above is done, it looks for an eeprom.bin file in the "writeep" folder   (these steps have to happen... on purpose to prevent accidentally writing your eeprom)
if found, the green LED will flash rapidly letting you know it's ready to write...  You then have to press the button on the board.

The arduino will attempt to write the eeprom data.  if successful, LEDs will act as above and the eeprom.bin file will be erased from the writeep folder (only this folder).  This is to prevent accidental write the next time the board is plugged into xbox.

Thoughts?   seem simple? and decent protection from accidental writes?

Too bad about the decrypt feature.

Another idea, instead of deleting the "write" eeprom, just rename it to something unique. This way if someone used "Moved" instead of "Copy" by mistake, they'll still have a copy on their SD. Perhaps just rename it to eeprom.bin.bak. Then if there's another with the same name, eeprom.bin.bak1, eeprom.bin.bak2 etc. (or something.)

I know this is a silly minor request, but could you just name the folders write and backup? Or maybe better, have a main eeprom (or EEPROM) folder with write and backup folders inside? Or perhaps ArdProm folder (or ArdPromSD) with write/backup inside. I'm thinking about times where people maybe have other files on the SD and finding a way to distinguish.

Edited by Natetronn

1 hour ago, Natetronn said:

Too bad about the decrypt feature.

Another idea, instead of deleting the "write" eeprom, just rename it to something unique. This way if someone used "Moved" instead of "Copy" by mistake, they'll still have a copy on their SD. Perhaps just rename it to eeprom.bin.bak. Then if there's another with the same name, eeprom.bin.bak1, eeprom.bin.bak2 etc. (or something.)

I know this is a silly minor request, but could you just name the folders write and backup? Or maybe better, have a main eeprom (or EEPROM) folder with write and backup folders inside? Or perhaps ArdProm folder (or ArdPromSD) with write/backup inside. I'm thinking about times where people maybe have other files on the SD and finding a way to distinguish.

I considered the nested folder, but with the serial output, it gets too large with the all the folder checking which is why I have unique’ish folder names

Initial order is in 🤞

I'll be making 10 initially (if first one is to my liking of course).  If you are interested in the initial batch, let me know... I'll be selling at cost rounded up (~$20+shipping)... this isn't selling per se yet... just a heads up.  I'll post in the "For Sale" section once they are built and tested.  If you want on a list, just let me know.  After the initial builds are tested and verified working (I can only test on a 1.6, but don't foresee any issues as it only uses 5V, GND, SDA, SCL from xbox that is present on every xbox revision), I'll post the Hardware on my github and you would be able to build yourselves.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 4:38 AM, Dtomcat18 said:

Initial order is in 🤞

I'll be making 10 initially (if first one is to my liking of course).  If you are interested in the initial batch, let me know... I'll be selling at cost rounded up (~$20+shipping)... this isn't selling per se yet... just a heads up.  I'll post in the "For Sale" section once they are built and tested.  If you want on a list, just let me know.  After the initial builds are tested and verified working (I can only test on a 1.6, but don't foresee any issues as it only uses 5V, GND, SDA, SCL from xbox that is present on every xbox revision), I'll post the Hardware on my github and you would be able to build yourselves.

I would definitely like to be added to a list when they go up for sale. I bricked my Xbox and need to get the EEPROM to fix it. Thanks!