OGXbox.com

Where are all the modchips?

Bowlsnapper

Okay, what is going on these days? Where are all the modchips? We had the OpenXenium being mass produced and sold just a short while ago, but this chip can now be only found on eBay and what not. Stellar is coming, but it's a bit expensive. Why is the crap-ass Aladdin, which has some serious flashing issues and no bios management... OR more than 256k of storage, the ONLY chip that's still being mass produced? Am I missing something?

I think it's because your average Joe modder doesn't care or need the extra features fancy chips offer (Xenium OS), so they just kind of go with whatever Aladdin chips have on them, which tends to be Evox m8+. But yeah, seems like Xeniums in particular are a bit more scarce than usual. Likely due to the ongoing chip shortage.

There are a few options out there though.

https://modzvilleusa.com/products/xbox-xblast-aladdin-xt-plus-2-w-1mb-cpld-upgraded-chip-for-ogxbox

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194677210679

I see Xeniums pop up every now and then. Idk about a reliable source though, other than maybe Nemesis (linked above).

3 hours ago, GoTeamScotch said:

I think it's because your average Joe modder doesn't care or need the extra features fancy chips offer (Xenium OS), so they just kind of go with whatever Aladdin chips have on them, which tends to be Evox m8+. But yeah, seems like Xeniums in particular are a bit more scarce than usual. Likely due to the ongoing chip shortage.

There are a few options out there though.

https://modzvilleusa.com/products/xbox-xblast-aladdin-xt-plus-2-w-1mb-cpld-upgraded-chip-for-ogxbox

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194677210679

I see Xeniums pop up every now and then. Idk about a reliable source though, other than maybe Nemesis (linked above).

Nemesis seems to have a solid offering. It's a Xenium, that's for sure.

I have questions about the Aladdin, though. Where is Xblast stored? Is it in the one 256k flash? Is the flash on this version writable from the Xbox? If so, how do you select the correct bank?

• Like 1

I have one of his chips that I use to check my 128mb installs if they don't boot. I haven't tried flashing it personally but I know he uses a flasher to do it initially while he upgrades them. He has a youtube video that he covers how to do it DIY if you want. His listing isn't super clear but implies that the new chip has multiple banks to add what you want.

UPDATED TO SUPPORT THE NEW 1.6 RAM MOD

With the modern batches of Aladdin Modchips coming with SST chips that can't be flashed, an upgraded Xblast aladdin is much better option. 

With an Xblast Aladdin you'll have access to 3 different boot options

• 1x 512kb bank
  • 1x 256kb bank
  • The Xbox's onboard Tsop (Retail)

If I get mine installed in something running in the next few days I will try it out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I have questions about the Aladdin, though. Where is Xblast stored? Is it in the one 256k flash? Is the flash on this version writable from the Xbox? If so, how do you select the correct bank?

The Aladdin XBlast conversion of the basic Aladdin XT plus 2 modchip reprograms the CPLD to support a 1MB instead of 256KB flash memory chip.   The 1MB flash of the Aladdin XBlast modchip has two user programmable banks: 1 - 256KBs in size and 1 - 512KBs in size  You usually program the 1MB flash with an external programmer and a file that has 4 copies of the XBlastOS in a dot bin file.  IIRC, the copy of the XBlast OS BIOS stored in the last 256KBs of the flash memory chip is what the CPLD boots when powered on.

IIRC, when the XBlastOS boots, it allows you to select which USER bank to boot.

See psyko_chewbacca's XBlast OS manual for more details:

psyko_chewbacca / lpcmod_OS / wiki / mainmenu — Bitbucket

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Nemesis seems to have a solid offering. It's a Xenium, that's for sure.

You can flash xblast to an aladdin - I use an aladdin with xblast to test all my 128mb ram upgrades on 1.6s or chipped boxes.  1.0-1.5 non chipped I tsop xblast over.

Aladdin xt is what the chinese have decided to clone and most likely the cheapest ones to clone.

If you want some xeniums made let me know - I need a nudge in the right direction to get everything needed to make them.  Last time I checked some parts were scarce.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

The Aladdin XBlast conversion of the basic Aladdin XT plus 2 modchip reprograms the CPLD to support a 1MB instead of 256KB flash memory chip.   The 1MB flash of the Aladdin XBlast modchip has two user programmable banks: 1 - 256KBs in size and 1 - 512KBs in size  You usually program the 1MB flash with an external programmer and a file that has 4 copies of the XBlastOS in a dot bin file.  IIRC, the copy of the XBlast OS BIOS stored in the last 256KBs of the flash memory chip is what the CPLD boots when powered on.

Hi, I have made some me Jafar Chips with the 1MB OSSupport.

Is it possible to use 3 X 256kb Banks for Bios files in Xblast?

1 hour ago, Crossfader said:

Hi, I have made some me Jafar Chips with the 1MB OSSupport.

Is it possible to use 3 X 256kb Banks for Bios files in Xblast?

I'm assuming that one of the puposes of the CPLD is to decide how to section the flash space available,  in addition to defining how much flash space is actually available to write to (256k version and 1MB version have different CPLDs). The CPLD for the Jafar chip (I'm assuming) has been designed to offer spaces for a 256k bios and a 512k bios. Although the only 512k bios that I'm aware of is the X2, which kinda serves no purpose anymore, except maybe nostalgia. Although, utilities exist to fill a 512k .bin file with twin copies of a 256k bios, which will result in a successful boot.

Of course I could be completely fucking wrong about all of that, but that is my understanding thus far. Of course I'm posting this now instead of waiting for someone more educated to step in... Kaos?

8 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Oh DUH. I forgot about the 256k of space out of 1MB that isn't mentioned as a flashable bank (1x 256k and 1x 512k). I swear I can do basic math. 😛 Why are you required to fill the entire flash with identical bios files? Can't you just flash the one 256k bank with Xblast and flash to the other banks with XBlastOS? I wonder if XB can be configured to boot a bank automatically, and then let the user get back into Xblast by booting a certain way, like with certain power-on combos?... Like the Xenium, I guess. I'll have to read the manual. I REALLY hate the idea of relying on a programmer. If it's only once, then I guess it's okay, as long as I can do any future flashing with the box sealed up.

Edit: Okay. I see options in XBOS for bank booting with eject or power buttons... but how do you boot to Xblast on its own 256k bank?.. and how are those settings stored on the chip? Is it stored in the CPLD or something? I don't think that's possible... X3 had an EEPROM, but I don't understand this.

3 hours ago, Donnie-Burger said:

You can flash xblast to an aladdin - I use an aladdin with xblast to test all my 128mb ram upgrades on 1.6s or chipped boxes.  1.0-1.5 non chipped I tsop xblast over.

Aladdin xt is what the chinese have decided to clone and most likely the cheapest ones to clone.

If you want some xeniums made let me know - I need a nudge in the right direction to get everything needed to make them.  Last time I checked some parts were scarce.

I also have assumptions regarding simplicity, cost and profit when it comes to cloning. 

I actually would like some Xeniums. Especially if you can price match what's available out there. As long as it's worth your time of course :) I'd love to pay you for making some chips. That would be pretty tight, actually.

• Like 1

I would to have different Bios for testing, I think nobody needs a 512k bios. I only use M8+ with 256k.

Some with udma 4 and 5, some with titan support or with HD patch.

It's just an idea, but I'm not a coder.

In the lpcmod_v1.h is a part with the bank size, but I have no idea where I need edit it. https://github.com/einsteinx2/lpcmod_os

My goal is 256k(OS) 256k(bios1) 256k(bios2) 256k(bios3)

2 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Why are you required to fill the entire flash with identical bios files? Can't you just flash the one 256k bank with Xblast and flash to the other banks with XBlastOS?

Easier to do. 

Edit: IIRC, the software that controls external programmers doesn't allow you to pick the starting location of where you want to flash 256KBs of data on the chip.  It writes from address 0 to the last byte of the chip. 

Not to say that all external programmer applications don't allow you to select where to start writing the data to the chip.

So, you create a data file, dot bin file, that contains 4 copies of the 256KB BIOS to fill the entire 1MB flash chip that replaces the stock Aladdin XT plus 2 modchip's 256KB flash memory chip after reprogramming its Lattice LC4032V CPLD chip.

For example in a cmd.exe window isssue the following command once you have changed to the directory that holds the 256KB crcwell.bin file - the XBlastOS's binary data:

• copy /b crcwell.bin + crcwell.bin + crcwell.bin + crcwell.bin 1MB_crcwell.bin

3 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I wonder if XB can be configured to boot a bank automatically, and then let the user get back into Xblast by booting a certain way, like with certain power-on combos?

Yes, it has several configuration settings to control which BIOS boots when you power on the console.

See the available settings options on psyko_chewbacca's lpcmod_OS / wiki / xblast os manual / xblastsettings webpage.

Look at the Idle timeout, Quickboot, Power button boot and Eject button boot settings.

Edit: Okay. I see options in XBOS for bank booting with eject or power buttons... but how do you boot to Xblast on its own 256k bank?.. and how are those settings stored on the chip? Is it stored in the CPLD or something? I don't think that's possible... X3 had an EEPROM, but I don't understand this.

IIRC, the settings are stored in a small section of the flash memory chip.  The XBlastOS itself does not occupy  the entire last 256KBs of the flash memory chip.  Again easier to create a 256KB file with a prefilled/empty area where the settings are going to be stored than to create 252KB file that must be written at a specific starting offset to the flash memory chip. I believe it uses a small 4KB section of the last 256KBs of flash to store its settings.  I'm not exactly sure where the space for the settings is located in the 256KB bank that holds the XBlastOS.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crossfader said:

I would to have different Bios for testing, I think nobody needs a 512k bios. I only use M8+ with 256k.

Some with udma 4 and 5, some with titan support or with HD patch.

It's just an idea, but I'm not a coder.

In the lpcmod_v1.h is a part with the bank size, but I have no idea where I need edit it. https://github.com/einsteinx2/lpcmod_os

My goal is 256k(OS) 256k(bios1) 256k(bios2) 256k(bios3)

I believe doing so will require making changes to both the XBlastOS itself and the VHDL coding for the Lattice LC4032V CPLD chip.

4 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Easier to do. 

Edit: IIRC, the software that controls external programmers doesn't allow you to pick the starting location of where you want to flash 256KBs of data on the chip.  It writes from address 0 to the last byte of the chip. 

Not to say that all external programmer applications don't allow you to select where to start writing the data to the chip.

So, you create a data file, dot bin file, that contains 4 copies of the 256KB BIOS to fill the entire 1MB flash chip that replaces the stock Aladdin XT plus 2 modchip's 256KB flash memory chip after reprogramming its Lattice LC4032V CPLD chip.

For example in a cmd.exe window isssue the following command once you have changed to the directory that holds the 256KB crcwell.bin file - the XBlastOS's binary data:

• copy /b crcwell.bin + crcwell.bin + crcwell.bin + crcwell.bin 1MB_crcwell.bin

Okay. That's what I figured, is that it was just not something you could specify with any reliability.

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

IIRC, the settings are stored in a small section of the flash memory chip.  The XBlastOS itself does not occupy  the entire last 256KBs of the flash memory chip.  Again easier to create a 256KB file with a prefilled/empty area where the settings are going to be stored than to create 252KB file that must be written at a specific starting offset to the flash memory chip. I believe it uses a small 4KB section of the last 256KBs of flash to store its settings.  I'm not exactly sure where the space for the settings is located in the 256KB bank that holds the XBlastOS.

...🤨 Oh my GOD. That's POSSIBLE!? I thought that writing to the flash was something that had to be done either in 256k chunks or not at all. I didn't even know the flash was accessable by ANY bios in that way. Why hasn't this been used by bios/chip designers to develop an X3CL-type menu in all these years? It theoretically shouldn't be that hard to implement... You could just program a CPLD to make a 256k chunk inaccessable for flashing (in the conventional sense) and design a bios to use that space to store settings. Or at least, design the bios with some space in it set aside for storage of settings values.

WHY HAVE WE NOT DONE THIS?

9 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

WE have waited for you, so go a head! :D

Ha Ha. Very funny. I guess I should've asked, "Is this possible but nobody's done it yet?" The X3 left such a void when it was discontinued, I'm suprised somebody HASN'T done it. I wish I knew how to code (is the bios Assembly, or machine code?) or I would do so.

30 minutes ago, clueless said:

Also, given how trivial it is to tsop flash these days, this negates the need for the most part for a chip for most people

For some people I'm sure it works, but only in some cases for me. There are a lot of instances where I don't want to rely on a TSOP only flash storage. One bad flash and a chip's gotta go in there anyway. If you're planning to do a fully loaded m8 flash and do a 2TB origins HDD image and then NEVER modify the contents of the entire console again, then that's one thing. But I tinker too much. I'd rather just solder in a chip - one that's flashable from either a bios stored on the chip or from a dashboard. I'm attached to flexibility. Never want to open an xbox for flashing purposes... Maybe I was spoiled by the X3. :)

Also, I have a habit of having an overclocked bios in an adjacent slot, just for a little extra juice! 

Ha Ha. Very funny. I guess I should've asked, "Is this possible but nobody's done it yet?" The X3 left such a void when it was discontinued, I'm suprised somebody HASN'T done it. I wish I knew how to code (is the bios Assembly, or machine code?) or I would do so.

See, we görmans and can be funny. :D

If you want a X3/X3CE, Kekule, Ryzee & Co have made the R3dux which is a clone : https://github.com/ChimericSystems/R3DUX

Would say the bios is written in assembly / C/C++. 

32 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

For some people I'm sure it works, but only in some cases for me. There are a lot of instances where I don't want to rely on a TSOP only flash storage. One bad flash and a chip's gotta go in there anyway.

If you have a know good bios like a simple EvoX m8p noDVD or iND 5003 XISO (I prefere the iND because the EvoX CAN cause a error 16 out of the blue) it's a clever move to flash the TSOP even you have mod chip in your console. 

And when you tinker a lot, a external flasher could be a good investment. In case you flashed a PS5 bios to your XBox TSOP you can reflash your TSOP using the programmer. I personaly use a simple Aladdin and the flasher to test bioses in my TBOX. 

• Thanks 1