OGXbox.com

[General Topic] LCD HD44780 2004 Display

Since I didn't have found a topic for this I createt this one just to talk and show of some things.

So, we all know that the HD44780 2004 version is a little big. Little me read a lot and found some ppl. cuting the bottom of. Yeah, I also did one of those and removed the controller ports 3&4 (Who has 3 frinds anyway?).  I like the look with the 2 ports removed ( Picture : Click me softly ) but no one ever has cut of the top or at least, I didn't found any infos about that. So brave how I am I grabed my mighty cuting tool and wuschhhhh, 1 finger gone cut of the top. Soldered some cables to the vias and what can I say, You can totaly do that:

Some of the pictures which I have taken incl some notes : https://imgur.com/a/SxdDdcA

Full Picture Pack DL (31.46 MB) : https://1fichier.com/?uiz9bwiv6xdiwq1ylog9

And some thing else. How it looks, the green displays are slightly better as the blue ones.

How ever, maybe some search the info and this one can help him a little.

EDIT: And excude the horrible trace soldering. It was just to see if it would wörk at the end so didn't want to win a price with it. ;)

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Since I didn't have found a topic for this I createt this one just to talk and show of some things.

So, we all know that the HD44780 2004 version is a little big. Little me read a lot and found some ppl. cuting the bottom of. Yeah, I also did one of those and removed the controller ports 3&4 (Who has 3 frinds anyway?).  I like the look with the 2 ports removed ( Picture : Click me softly ) but no one ever has cut of the top or at least, I didn't found any infos about that. So brave how I am I grabed my mighty cuting tool and wuschhhhh, 1 finger gone cut of the top. Soldered some cables to the vias and what can I say, You can totaly do that:

Some of the pictures which I have taken incl some notes : https://imgur.com/a/SxdDdcA

Full Picture Pack DL (31.46 MB) : https://1fichier.com/?uiz9bwiv6xdiwq1ylog9

And some thing else. How it looks, the green displays are slightly better as the blue ones.

How ever, maybe some search the info and this one can help him a little.

EDIT: And excude the horrible trace soldering. It was just to see if it would wörk at the end so didn't want to win a price with it. ;)

I didn't even know green was an option. Did you swap out the LED backlighting/sidelighting? Nice work. I need your advice on cutting a hole in the back for an optical audio output. I don't want it to look like shit.

Oh. You'll be happy to know that I DID click your link softly. It responded affectionately by tenderly displaying a beautiful image of your work.

5 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I didn't even know green was an option. Did you swap out the LED backlighting/sidelighting? 

You can buy the displays in differnt colors:

Sadly I was not able to find a 4x20 red/black or red/white one. 

Nice work.

Thanks but it' not as nice as it could be. But, it was just a quick try to see if it will work when cuting off the top or if there something you dont see and it will break. 

If you put some more love and time into it, it could turn out pretty nice. There are some little things I would do different next time. 

I need your advice on cutting a hole in the back for an optical audio output. I don't want it to look like shit.

Never done that but I would start with drilling a hole and then do the rest a small file. Before that I would practice. 

Oh. You'll be happy to know that I DID click your link softly. It responded affectionately by tenderly displaying a beautiful image of your work.

Hopefully you didn't touch the image? Forgot to put a warning on the image not to touch it. :D 

removed some "before coffee" typos.
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

And here are some pictures of the XBox which I finished today with the display (v2) from above. 

SmartXX, 128MB, Recap, HDMI, SATA, Controller port LED's, Black Jewel & Buttons .....

Pictures : https://imgur.com/a/WkyGqon

VERY nice work, sweet. Your shell cuts are friggin' SUPER clean. Why does it look like the HDMI port is literally a part of the case? How the hell did you do that? All blue lighting looks nice combined with the black jewel. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Quote censored by the FCC. 

Thanks. :)

You mean this  https://imgur.com/a/zFonWo2 ? :D Well thats easy, just * Censored * and a bit of paint and tata it looks like it was made this way. 

I try my best on the cuts for the LCD. Thank god, I had enough front panels to train on. ;) I already ordered some more displays but still need some Xblast Lite modchips. 

And one little thing crossed my mind. Since Ryzee has made this Aladdin LCD thing for TSOP'ed xboxes, a simple PCB which contains just the Lattice LC4032v or LC4064v in addition with a header for the LPC and connection for the display would be a pretty cool thing. This way you could make these for a couple of dollars/euros. To bad that I have no experience designing a PCB.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Thanks. :)

You mean this  https://imgur.com/a/zFonWo2 ? :D Well thats easy, just * Censored * and a bit of paint and tata it looks like it was made this way. 

I try my best on the cuts for the LCD. Thank god, I had enough front panels to train on. ;) I already ordered some more displays but still need some Xblast Lite modchips. 

And one little thing crossed my mind. Since Ryzee has made this Aladdin LCD thing for TSOP'ed xboxes, a simple PCB which contains just the Lattice LC4032v or LC4064v in addition with a header for the LPC and connection for the display would be a pretty cool thing. This way you could make these for a couple of dollars/euros. To bad that I have no experience designing a PCB.

Ah, gonna keep it a secret, huh? Well... damn. How are you cutting, anyway? Are you doing some serious, tedious, artistic sanding as well? 

...Christ in a CAN, that HDMI cut is clean. Astounding.

56 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Ah, gonna keep it a secret, huh? Well... damn. How are you cutting, anyway? Are you doing some serious, tedious, artistic sanding as well? 

...Christ in a CAN, that HDMI cut is clean. Astounding.

Basicly I don't cut out anything for the HDMI port. How ever, it's also not realy a secret. You just to have to look at some "things" differently and if you know it, it is super easy because it is so obvious. Maybe someone has send you a PM how it is done. And yes, sanding is involved and I hate it but I love how it turns out at the end. :D

E: And for the display I simply use a cheap dremel tool and some sand paper. Nothing to fancy. ;)

• Like 1

And some additional info. 

No need  to cut and rebuild the traces (like shown in the picuters). If you cut right above the first trace and revove the 3 "standoffs" and the little bit of metal shilding from the upper shell, the display fits pretty well. Less fiddely work for those who don't like trace repair and such (Just the 7 vias, the 2 pads for 5v + GND and 3.3v (A) +  VCC (K)). Simple as eating pie. ;) 

And if someone has a SmartXX v1 / v2, the sweet spot for the dimmer is around 1650 and 1750 ohm (Default they are ~ 4500 ohm). 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...