OGXbox.com

please help me with my xbox

mouse

Hi everyone I'm new here to this forum. I'm going to make this short and sweet. I was given an original Xbox by an older friend of mines. It was his sons, he knows nothing about it. I start it up and I get this screen. ( smartxx ) screen, the picture below. when I click on the ( x2 evox 2005 ) it takes me to the photo with the error code 6. I removed the mod chip and then started the Xbox again. the screen went black with some green lettering and a code error 6 on the top left of the screen. is there anyway I can completely remove this chip and have it back to factory settings. or do I need to keep this mod chip in the Xbox? is there something I can do to make this thing work? there's no games anywhere in this chip. idk what to do. if you need more pictures of the menu please let me know so i can post them, thank you for your help 

xbox 2.jpg

xbox 1.jpg

xbox.jpg

1 hour ago, zatchbot said:

It looks like hard drive is no good. If you have a USB to IDE converter try to plug it in and read it with fatxplorer.

Edit: have you tried booting into all the different bios options on the chip?

when you say bios do you mean the smartxx menu screen when I turn on the Xbox? if so a lot of them menu selections take me to that black screen and error code 6

20 minutes ago, zatchbot said:

Yes that is what I mean. Try fatxplorer and see if it can recognize the drive. https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/

Sounds like the drive has failed.

okay so I have an update, I have a second og Xbox and last week I had tried that hdd in my modded Xbox, (the Xbox I'm posting about). I forgot to swap that hdd out and install the hdd that came with the modded xbox and now I'm getting error code 5 with the correct hdd in it now. I'm sure of this because I have a photo in my phone of the modded Xbox with this hdd in it. the hdd that shows error code 5. so that's what I'm dealing with currently. I'm not sure what error code 5 is or how to fix this 

The evidence suggests the HDD is locked but to another Xbox.

It would surely explain why you're getting error 6 both with the chip on and without it. If the HDD is unlocked you'll get error 5 when trying to boot using the original BIOS but it should boot using the chip/BIOS options.

As suggested earlier, it could be a HDD fault, so the obvious thing to suggest is try installing a new, clean HDD.

You'll need need either a working DVD drive and an installer disc or to pre-prepare the HDD for chipped Xbox use on PC with FATXplorer. If the chip is working correctly it should boot or, in the case of an empty HDD and installer disc, allow you to format the HDD and install a dashboard.

Looking at the first pic: with that Slayers SmartXX menu option available you will probably be able to avoid the need for an installer disc when fitting a new HDD. If you can launch Slayers in any case it might give you other possible solutions too (File Manager and FTP access?).  

They are up and running now. Hit the daily post cap for a new account and messaged me directly. There doesn't seem to be a custom dash mapped but it is booting to MS dash just fine. I didn't think of booting Slayers for FTP but told him to boot to Hexen or the Flasher disk to get the Evolution FTP server.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Looking at the first pic: with that Slayers SmartXX menu option available you will probably be able to avoid the need for an installer disc when fitting a new HDD. If you can launch Slayers in any case it might give you other possible solutions too (File Manager and FTP access?). 

Slayers can't be launched from that menu. It's just a bios selction screen. I assume it's the Slayers EvoX bios with Slayers boot logo (EvoX m2.7 but not to sure here).

So I would get a new HDD, IDE or SATA+Adapter and set up a new HDD using OGXBox Installer or FatXplorer. After that you should consider to flash a more up to date bios. For that you can use the remote flasher software or more simple the SmartXX HDD flasher option in the Smart menu. For that you just have to have the bios.bin somewhere on your HDD.

• Like 1

OP stated they had another xbox that sounded virgin. I was going to recommend building that one out first before playing with a legacy modchip that is technically functional. Once they have an idea of how to get a custom dash working the task of modernizing someone else's 15+ year old build should be easier to navigate.

41 minutes ago, zatchbot said:

OP stated they had another xbox that sounded virgin. I was going to recommend building that one out first before playing with a legacy modchip that is technically functional. Once they have an idea of how to get a custom dash working the task of modernizing someone else's 15+ year old build should be easier to navigate.

Let's sum that up.

Modding his virgin xbox.

1. Solder a modchip to it or TSOP flash it. Both involve bios flashing.
  2. Update HDD (IDE/SATA).
  3. Setup the HDD (Installer/FatXplorer).

Updating the SmartXX xbox.

1. Update the HDD (IDE/SATA)
  2. Setup the HDD (Installer/FatXplorer).
  3. Flash a bios which is super easy with the samrtxx and less risky than TSOP flashing or flashing a different modchip (some exception here are Xecuter/XBlast/OpenXenium ect).

So the easyer task by far is just to update the smartxx xbox. No soldering needed, less to no risk of breaking the xbox by flashing a wrong bios (thx o the smartxx).

I seriously recomend to go with the smartxx first before building up something from scratch.

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

1 hour ago, zatchbot said:

Did they get two xboxes from the friend? 

If so, maybe the sons mixed up which hard drive went with which Xbox.  Try swapping drives.  

With the modchip booting a modified BIOS (e.g., x2 Evox 2005), the hard drive does not have to be locked; however, with error 06 showing up, it is locked but with the password computed for a different xbox's HDDKey than the one it is currently installed in.

8 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Slayers can't be launched from that menu. It's just a bios selction screen. I assume it's the Slayers EvoX bios with Slayers boot logo (EvoX m2.7 but not to sure here).

Thanks for the info.

But wouldn't it be useful if the chip (any chip) menu did include an installer?

1 hour ago, HDShadow said:

But wouldn't it be useful if the chip (any chip) menu did include an installer?

Useful? Hmmm.... Maybe, some times if you have one chip you use to set up xbox'es. You would also need a memory chip (~256MB up to 4GB) for it on the mod chip which can also be updated by the user. Maybe it could be done using an USB interface on the modchip so you could run apps of a usb stick strait from the chip. 

But you would need someone like Ryzee or kekule to tell 100% for sure if thats possible and what it would cost to build those chips. I would guess $100.00 + - X for one if someone would do a limeted run with ~ 500 - 1000 chips as some spcial thing as pre order only so they can be sure to sell all of them. 

okay so after 24 hours I can post again. sorry I hit my limit as I'm new to this forum,. okay just to clear up a few things. the HDD is after market. I learned today. I will post a picture of it below. it is the hdd that came with this Xbox when it was given to me, to clear a few more things up, when I'm in the main menu and click on "x2 evox 2005" it takes me to the screen that says memory, music, Xbox live, settings. when I click on " slayers" it takes me to that same screen that says memory, music, Xbox live, settings. When I click on original bios it takes me to a black green with green lettering with a 5 at the top left of the screen. now I'm completely lost when it comes to burning one of them programs to a dvd-r cd. how would I do that? I can go by the disks tomorrow and do that. do I need some type of IDE too usb connector? please help me understand. after typing in the model number of this HDD its a 30gb. here's a few photos. now the the picture with the big blue X appears when i click slayers, the green x is when i click x2 evox 2005

67.jpg

768r678.jpg

890.jpg

3445.jpg

325425.jpg

456357347.jpg

It looks like everything is working as it should - what you're missing is a mod dashboard at least in the locations the BIOS is set up to boot from.

In the absence of such a dashboard all(?) BIOS are set to revert to launch C:\xboxdash.xbe as the last resort. This is the original MS dash XBE. With softmods this is not the case, the name is reused for other purposes but in the case of a chipped machine the C:\ drive is basically in original retail state but with an added dashboard XBE which is launched by the BIOS in preference.

If that is not there that MS dash XBE is used - this is exactly what is happening here.

The error 5, if you try to use the original BIOS, is also exactly what you'd expect if the HDD is not locked. That is the norm when using a chip.

So all that is necessary is to install a new dashboard using an installer disk: typically that will add C:\evoxdash.xbe as all(?) BIOS, unless modified, are set to boot that name XBE as the primary dashboard.  Just make sure when you use an installer disk you use the hardmod dash install option, not the softmod one.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

It looks like everything is working as it should - what you're missing is a mod dashboard at least in the locations the BIOS is set up to boot from.

In the absence of such a dashboard all(?) BIOS are set to revert to launch C:\xboxdash.xbe as the last resort. This is the original MS dash XBE. With softmods this is not the case, the name is reused for other purposes but in the case of a chipped machine the C:\ drive is basically in original retail state but with an added dashboard XBE which is launched by the BIOS in preference.

If that is not there that MS dash XBE is used - this is exactly what is happening here.

The error 5, if you try to use the original BIOS, is also exactly what you'd expect if the HDD is not locked. That is the norm when using a chip.

So all that is necessary is to install a new dashboard using an installer disk: typically that will add C:\evoxdash.xbe as all(?) BIOS, unless modified, are set to boot that name XBE as the primary dashboard.  Just make sure when you use an installer disk you use the hardmod dash install option, not the softmod one.

okay great thank you. I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm super new to this, its all like gibberish to me. so about this installer disk, what do I need in order to complete this. do I go and buy dvd-r blank disks? is there a link I can download this modded dash board from? when i have the disk do i just put it into the Xbox and then what? I'm in these threads on this forum but I don't even know where to begin because I'm so lost.  

10 hours ago, mouse said:

okay so after 24 hours I can post again. sorry I hit my limit as I'm new to this forum,. okay just to clear up a few things. the HDD is after market. I learned today. I will post a picture of it below. it is the hdd that came with this Xbox when it was given to me, to clear a few more things up, when I'm in the main menu and click on "x2 evox 2005" it takes me to the screen that says memory, music, Xbox live, settings. when I click on " slayers" it takes me to that same screen that says memory, music, Xbox live, settings. When I click on original bios it takes me to a black green with green lettering with a 5 at the top left of the screen. now I'm completely lost when it comes to burning one of them programs to a dvd-r cd. how would I do that? I can go by the disks tomorrow and do that. do I need some type of IDE too usb connector? please help me understand. after typing in the model number of this HDD its a 30gb. here's a few photos. now the the picture with the big blue X appears when i click slayers, the green x is when i click x2 evox 2005

Booting the Original BIOS requires the hard drive to be locked which it isn't; therefore, the error 05 screen appears.

Booting one of the modified BIOSes and it loading the stock dashboard that has the Memory, Music, Xbox Live, Settings menu options means the previous owner removed the replacement dashboard from the hard drive.  The BIOS fails loading any of the replacement dashboards in its boot order list and ends up loading the stock dashboard's Xbox executable file - C:\xboxdash.xbe - from the hard drive.

Have you opened the console to see which SmartXX modchip is installed? 

There are several different versions of it.

See the SmartXX.com archived Products web page on archive.org's Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060815162553/http://www.smartxx.com/specs/specs_01.php

Manuals for all of the SmartXX modchip versions are available there too:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060815163051/http://www.smartxx.com/manuals/manuals_00.php

6 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Booting the Original BIOS requires the hard drive to be locked which it isn't; therefore, the error 05 screen appears.

Booting one of the modified BIOSes and it loading the stock dashboard that has the Memory, Music, Xbox Live, Settings menu options means the previous owner removed the replacement dashboard from the hard drive.  The BIOS fails loading any of the replacement dashboards in its boot order list and ends up loading the stock dashboard's Xbox executable file - C:\xboxdash.xbe - from the hard drive.

Have you opened the console to see which SmartXX modchip is installed? 

There are several different versions of it.

See the SmartXX.com archived Products web page on archive.org's Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060815162553/http://www.smartxx.com/specs/specs_01.php

Manuals for all of the SmartXX modchip versions are available there too:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060815163051/http://www.smartxx.com/manuals/manuals_00.php

here is a photo of the chip i have, is there specifix bios any can recommend to me? 

sdfgeds.jpg

Are you trying to upgrade or add a new bios to the modchip or just install a custom dashboard? You do not necessarily need to change one while changing the other.

If you are trying to update the bios, I recommend the updated version of EvoX. You may need to use one of the patched versions depending on what you plan to do (HDD bigger than 2tb, HD+, UDMA4/5, ect.) but it should do everything you want. Make sure to read the Smart chip manual and understand the flashing process before you start. Use one of the "FREE" banks if you do go this route.

Dashboard selection is a bit more personal based on what you want to do IMO. Pretty much all of them have benefits and drawbacks. I personally started with EvolutionX and learned there. Since then have settled on XBMC4Gamers for most of my builds now. 

52 minutes ago, zatchbot said:

Are you trying to upgrade or add a new bios to the modchip or just install a custom dashboard? You do not necessarily need to change one while changing the other.

If you are trying to update the bios, I recommend the updated version of EvoX. You may need to use one of the patched versions depending on what you plan to do (HDD bigger than 2tb, HD+, UDMA4/5, ect.) but it should do everything you want. Make sure to read the Smart chip manual and understand the flashing process before you start. Use one of the "FREE" banks if you do go this route.

Dashboard selection is a bit more personal based on what you want to do IMO. Pretty much all of them have benefits and drawbacks. I personally started with EvolutionX and learned there. Since then have settled on XBMC4Gamers for most of my builds now. 

I just want this xbox functional. I dont care what I use for a dashboard and I'm not upgrading the chip or the hdd. I just want to be able to install disks and play the xbox. Or install games till the hdd is full then install disks when I want to play different games. Very simple. Thank you man you guys have been a great help to me

Download, extract and burn to a quality DVD-R disc the OGXbox Installer 2021 v1.5.4 disc image.

https://1fichier.com/?cmclnzvvd4gufvt90j4d

Load this Xbox installer disc into the Xbox's DVD drive, then start the X2 Evox 2005 BIOS.  The Xbox should boot the installer disc.  Use its replacement dashboard's File Manager or FTP to the console to obtain a listing of the files present on the C drive.  Post your findings in a reply.

• Like 1