OGXbox.com

1.4 board in 1.6 case

coldasijs

So I want to build my ultimate XBOX, I already managed to get my hands on a 14.ghz 128 mb ram xbox (1.4 revision), planning to install stellar. But I also want to put it in a nice case. Luckily I can get my hands on a crystal xbox fairly cheap. But this is a 1.6 revision. I know there are issues putting a 1.6 in a 1.0-1.4 case with grounding, how about the other way around?

And is there a fix for the grounding issue? Reason I’m asking is that I would probably put the 1.6 board in the 1.4 case to recoup some of my money. I briefly considered putting in a modchip, but sadly the marked for modded xbox in NL is rather slim. With chip, hdd, sata2ide connector and IDE cable I wouldn’t be able to recoup my money 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coldasijs said:

So I want to build my ultimate XBOX, I already managed to get my hands on a 14.ghz 128 mb ram xbox (1.4 revision), planning to install stellar. But I also want to put it in a nice case. Luckily I can get my hands on a crystal xbox fairly cheap. But this is a 1.6 revision. I know there are issues putting a 1.6 in a 1.0-1.4 case with grounding, how about the other way around?

And is there a fix for the grounding issue? Reason I’m asking is that I would probably put the 1.6 board in the 1.4 case to recoup some of my money. I briefly considered putting in a modchip, but sadly the marked for modded xbox in NL is rather slim. With chip, hdd, sata2ide connector and IDE cable I wouldn’t be able to recoup my money 

I think it will be fine. You will have a screwhole in the upper-middle of the board that will not have a standoff to screw to. This is the standoff that shorts against a transistor on the 1.6 board, since the transistor is sitting right where the screwhole on a 1.4 would be. As long as that screwhole doesn't actually need to be hooked up to the shared ground via the RF shield (which I don't think it does) you should have nothing to worry about.

I think the 1.6 A/V port standoffs will be lower than the 1.4, so you might not be able to thread in the two screws on the A/V port. But I think your mobo will still be plenty secure with the other screws holding it in.

Can somebody tell me what the proper term is for the grounded holes in the mobo that the screws go into? I don't wanna' keep saying "screwhole." I sound like a fuckin' idiot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Can somebody tell me what the proper term is for the grounded holes in the mobo that the screws go into?

Grounding mounting holes. 

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I don't wanna' keep saying "screwhole." I sound like a fuckin' idiot.

And I can tell you why. It's "screw hole" instead of "screwhole". You're welcome. :D;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Grounding mounting holes. 

And I can tell you why. It's "screw hole" instead of "screwhole". You're welcome. :D;)

Grounded mounting holes? Jesus Christ. That's five syllables long. That takes way too God-damn long to say. I should just keep saying "screw holes." It sounds funnier, if nothing else.

I admit that "screw holes" does look better than when written as one word. Although, written as two words it actually seems more obscene... In fact, written both ways, it definitely looks like juvenile innuendo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Don't try to figure me out. I'm görman and twisted in a very special way. :D 

I respect that very much and I hope one day to be German and weird with you. America is going down in flames and Germany seems like a nice place to live. Plus my family line originated there, so I technically have lots of family there.

Your edited quotes crack me up.

image.thumb.png.5ae341fb6814e98134ebfe36d4473b9e.png

Managed to score this beauty for a decent price. It's a 1.4 crystal XBOX which is already TSOP'ed and with a 200GB drive. I think I made a good deal paying 90 euro incl shipping. Will clean it up, transplant the internals into my black case and install the 1.4 Ghz board in this one.

Suspect I can sell off the rest for the same price if I load it with enough games. It also has the original HD AV pack, not sure what I will do with that one. It is mainly popular in the US I expect.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, coldasijs said:

405315A1-E77C-4E07-B7DD-489AE6A7D1D0.thumb.jpeg.f95c7dfba0ffcf24e9e62778c84dfb29.jpeg

first time I see it in real life, but guess the clock cap has been leaking or was somebody to generous with soldering flux when applying the TSOP?

I can easily remove it with IPA and no sign of rust on the RF shield 

Wow.Not a single bit of metal visible on those transistors. All corrosion, baby. My second Halo edition looks like that. I still have to jump the traces responsible for the power leds because they don't work. Lol.

forgot to take an after picture. Cleaned everything with cotton swaps and paper with IPA. It looks much better now. At least the transistors connections show oxidation. Didn't see any trace damage. The XBOX also boots up fine. Suspect the clock cap bursted not too long ago, it sounded like the person who I bought it from was clearing his attic or something. He only tested it recently.

My plan is to sell off this console, so have no real plans to do more then a bit of cleaning, removing the clock cap and installing modern dash & bios. I wouldn't mind replacing all the caps and installing bigger HDD, but at least in Europe it means I will loose a lot of money to make somebody else happy. And I have no plans to collect XBOX consoles :D

3 minutes ago, coldasijs said:

I wouldn't mind replacing all the caps and installing bigger HDD, but at least in Europe it means I will loose a lot of money to make somebody else happy. And I have no plans to collect XBOX consoles :D

If you are fine with a long sale ~ 4 weeks, just do it.

This is what came in ~ 1 hour ago from a guy from PSXTools.de. He send it to me so I can see if I can fix it.

First I though "hey, just a bit trace rot" : https://imgur.com/a/qGHmJgc

Then I found this : https://imgur.com/a/gNiH74S

The PCB seems to have burned off on that via. Will take more work as expectet.....I should have kept my mouth shut. :D

• Like 1