OGXbox.com

Pretty Sure I Bricked My Xbox (Softmod)

TheGatekeeper24

I was attempting to update the version of Rocky on the hard drive by using an extras disk. I guess the update corrupted itself because it refuses to load to the dashboard anymore and won't boot up any games, including regular xbox games that I own. I've done some research on this but I just feel lost. I know to say that I don't have the EEPROM nor did I null the EEPROM key. I don't know how that changes my options to repair this softmod. It was running fine before I attempted to perform the update via the extras disk.

I would prefer a solution that lets me keep the xbox softmodded if possible.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

50 minutes ago, TheGatekeeper24 said:

I was attempting to update the version of Rocky on the hard drive by using an extras disk. I guess the update corrupted itself because it refuses to load to the dashboard anymore and won't boot up any games, including regular xbox games that I own. I've done some research on this but I just feel lost. I know to say that I don't have the EEPROM nor did I null the EEPROM key. I don't know how that changes my options to repair this softmod. It was running fine before I attempted to perform the update via the extras disk.

I would prefer a solution that lets me keep the xbox softmodded if possible.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for asking this, but is there any particular reason why you would prefer to go with softmodding as opposed to just chipping? Trying to maintain a useful softmod tends to result in headaches like this.

8 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Sorry for asking this, but is there any particular reason why you would prefer to go with softmodding as opposed to just chipping? Trying to maintain a useful softmod tends to result in headaches like this.

There's two reasons: (1) I've had bad luck with soldering in attempts to mod previous consoles; and (2) I'm trying to build a small group of Xbox's for old school fighting game tournaments, and buying decent mod chips, where I'm taking a chance on frying a motherboard is potentially going to get very costly. At least with a softmod, it can be a hassle to maintain at times, but I'm not having to buy extra pieces for the console and I'm not taking a chance on ruining a console permanently.

Unless you tell me there's a modchip that doesn't require soldering, then I would be way more interested lol.

Edited by TheGatekeeper24

Softmods, particularly ones like Rocky5's, are almost as safe to use as any other modding method as long as you know what not to touch and don't let anyone else (kids and 'mates') mess with the console. 

There are tools built into Rocky5's softmod that might allow you to recover it, whatever has happened in this case but you'll need advice from someone who knows its ins and outs better than I do.

But I will say this: updating should be considered very carefully before doing it and backing up everything should be mandatory. That used to be stressed on Xbox forums when softmodding. Not so much now as softmods are better protected and chips are cheap and widely available users have become complacent. 

I'd argue that with a softmod you should set up a backup mirror softmodded HDD as part of the process. I've long recommended using the original HDD for that purpose. Once softmodded, clone it to a bigger HDD. Replacing the HDD with a bigger one is a primary reason for modding anyway. You then store that original softmodded HDD for last ditch recovery use in a case like this.   

2 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Softmods, particularly ones like Rocky5's, are almost as safe to use as any other modding method as long as you know what not to touch and don't let anyone else (kids and 'mates') mess with the console. 

There are tools built into Rocky5's softmod that might allow you to recover it, whatever has happened in this case but you'll need advice from someone who knows its ins and outs better than I do.

But I will say this: updating should be considered very carefully before doing it and backing up everything should be mandatory. That used to be stressed on Xbox forums when softmodding. Not so much now as softmods are better protected and chips are cheap and widely available users have become complacent. 

I'd argue that with a softmod you should set up a backup mirror softmodded HDD as part of the process. I've long recommended using the original HDD for that purpose. Once softmodded, clone it to a bigger HDD. Replacing the HDD with a bigger one is a primary reason for modding anyway. You then store that original softmodded HDD for last ditch recovery use in a case like this.   

Yeah, what I also should have done was nulled the hard drive before updating it. Can't change what happened, im just hoping it's a fixable event. 

• Like 1

Does the front LED change to orange? if so home start + Y to see if it does anything. 

I suspect it doesn’t since you can’t load any games/discs but that would only have happened if you took the power cable out the Xbox and the softmod install was botched. (So it’s trying to error16 and load the MSDash to set the clock, but it’s loading a corrupt dash)

If you can’t load a disc and the start + y doesn’t work you will need to hotswap the drive to a PC with IDE or using a USB to IDE adaptor. 

for future reference always use the quick update or upgrade zips to update the softmod, as disc drive are only going to get worse and make reading discs harder. (More chance of corruption, misreads etc…)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rocky5 said:

Does the front LED change to orange? if so home start + Y to see if it does anything. 

I suspect it doesn’t since you can’t load any games/discs but that would only have happened if you took the power cable out the Xbox and the softmod install was botched. (So it’s trying to error16 and load the MSDash to set the clock, but it’s loading a corrupt dash)

If you can’t load a disc and the start + y doesn’t work you will need to hotswap the drive to a PC with IDE or using a USB to IDE adaptor. 

for future reference always use the quick update or upgrade zips to update the softmod, as disc drive are only going to get worse and make reading discs harder. (More chance of corruption, misreads etc…)

Yeah, pressing start + Y isn't working. Stupid question but how do you recommend going about hotswapping the drive? I do have an EEPROM tool being shipped in so I can pull my key at a minimum, and I purchased an IDE to USB adapter for my pc to work on the drive. 

Thanks again for all your help. 

15 hours ago, TheGatekeeper24 said:

Yeah, pressing start + Y isn't working. Stupid question but how do you recommend going about hotswapping the drive? I do have an EEPROM tool being shipped in so I can pull my key at a minimum, and I purchased an IDE to USB adapter for my pc to work on the drive. 

Thanks again for all your help. 

Holy monkey. Are you going to do the TSOP flash? Are you just trying to pull your data so you can have your gamesaves and games and then just wipe out C, put it back in and use an installer disc to put a regular dash on there? That's what I would do. 

14 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Holy monkey. Are you going to do the TSOP flash? Are you just trying to pull your data so you can have your gamesaves and games and then just wipe out C, put it back in and use an installer disc to put a regular dash on there? That's what I would do. 

I was actually smart enough to save my games onto the usb drive I used to initially perform the softmod, so its not a big deal, even if I had to completely wipe the drive without backing up the data. So that much makes it easier.

But yes, I do plan on wiping it and reinstalling everything properly.

Edited by TheGatekeeper24
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update: I got an EEPROM reader courtesy of Dtomcat18. Worked like a charm. I'm currently on my pc with FATXplorer and was able to unlock my hard drive. But now I'm at a loss for what to do to get the harddrive working. I've done some searching via Google and haven't found anything definitive. Definitely looking for some guidance, because I know I'm close to being done with working on this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

51 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

Previous Message deleted. 

If you’ve successfully unlocked the drive and have access from FatXplorer, it’s now just a matter of adding the files back to the drive in order to get a proper boot. Is the drive currently wiped?

Yep, its currently wiped. Sorry for the delay, got busy on my end. I formatted it with FATXplorer as well using their Original Xbox HDD formatting tool.