OGXbox.com

MS Dashboard Resolution

amak79

Is the MS dashboard capable of displaying at higher than 480 resolution? For me it always displays at 480 no matter what resolutions are enabled in the MS dashboard.

I have switched my console region from PAL to NTSC and enabled the Widescreen, 480p and 720p options in the MS dashboard. I have an Xbox2HDMI adapter and games supporting 720p display correctly. UnleashX also displays at 720p although with an incorrect aspect ratio but that is a known problem with that dashboard.

I also have Cerbios 2.0.3R flashed to an Aladdin Advance and I get a 720p boot screen but after the Xbox logo with Cerbios text is displayed, the screen goes black and then briefly displays Xbox logo with Cerbios text again but at what looks to be 480 resolution.

I know the MS dashboard is mostly useless on a modded console except for changing the video settings, but I was curious to know if there is a problem with my setup.

Edited by amak79

49 minutes ago, amak79 said:

Is the MS dashboard capable of displaying at higher than 480 resolution? For me it always displays at 480 no matter what resolutions are enabled in the MS dashboard.

I have switched my console region from PAL to NTSC and enabled the Widescreen, 480p and 720p options in the MS dashboard. I have an Xbox2HDMI adapter and games supporting 720p display correctly. UnleashX also displays at 720p although with an incorrect aspect ratio but that is a known problem with that dashboard.

I also have Cerbios 2.0.3R flashed to an Aladdin Advance and I get a 720p boot screen but after the Xbox logo with Cerbios text is displayed, the screen goes black and then briefly displays Xbox logo with Cerbios text again but at what looks to be 480 resolution.

I know the MS dashboard is mostly useless on a modded console except for changing the video settings, but I was curious to know if there is a problem with my setup.

I've never been able to get it to run higher than 720x480 either (probably anamorphic). It bugs the shit out of me.

3 hours ago, amak79 said:

I was able to fix this by disabling 720p in the UnleashX display settings. This also disabled 720p in the MS dashboard settings so I had to re-enable it there. Now Cerbios boots with a 720p boot screen without dropping to 480. UnleashX displays in 480p but at least it has the correct aspect ratio now.

1 hour ago, amak79 said:

I was able to fix this by disabling 720p in the UnleashX display settings. This also disabled 720p in the MS dashboard settings so I had to re-enable it there. Now Cerbios boots with a 720p boot screen without dropping to 480. UnleashX displays in 480p but at least it has the correct aspect ratio now.

That's... weird. How on earth did that result in a fix? Glad it worked, though.

12 hours ago, amak79 said:

The Xbox dashboard just always runs in 480p regardless of what your A/V settings are. Getting it to run in 720p would require hex editing the dashboard XBE (or making a new build...).

The CerBios team released a modified boot animation XBE that was altered to run in 720p, but that does not affect the Xbox dashboard that loads after.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GoTeamScotch said:

The Xbox dashboard just always runs in 480p regardless of what your A/V settings are. Getting it to run in 720p would require hex editing the dashboard XBE (or making a new build...).

The CerBios team released a modified boot animation XBE that was altered to run in 720p, but that does not affect the Xbox dashboard that loads after.

Thanks for the info. I suspected that was the case but I wasn't sure since I only recently got my Xbox2HDMI adapter, and I thought I may have had an error in my setup.

On 10/12/2022 at 2:55 PM, GoTeamScotch said:

Has anyone actually edited a MS dash xbe for 720p and had it work? The theory makes sense but how hard is it to accomplish?

1 hour ago, zatchbot said:

Has anyone actually edited a MS dash xbe for 720p and had it work? The theory makes sense but how hard is it to accomplish?

I wonder if you could just use OGXHD without any custom hex editing? I never even thought of that, but it's still an .xbe just like any other.

I'm not in a place where I could try it, or I would right now.

2 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I wonder if you could just use OGXHD without any custom hex editing? I never even thought of that, but it's still an .xbe just like any other.

I'm not in a place where I could try it, or I would right now.

That's that I was thinking too, but haven't started playing with OGXHD yet to know any of the limitations.

It will be cool if it just patches like anything else!

• 2 weeks later...

I recently learnt that the MS dashboard will run in 480i even with 480p enabled. You can force it to run in 480p by pressing LT+RT+L3+R3. The screen will flash and it will now be in 480p. I can definitely notice the difference as previously it looked blurry and the colors were washed out. You can press the button combo again to return to 480i.

Edited by amak79
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, amak79 said:

I recently learnt that the MS dashboard will run in 480i even with 480p enabled. You can force it to run in 480p but pressing LT+RT+L3+R3. The screen will flash and it will now be in 480p. I can definitely notice the difference as previously it looked blurry and the colors were all washed out. You can press the button combo again to return to 480i.

Cool, that worked!

Note: that's both triggers and pushing in the joysticks at the same time, for those unaware.

• 2 weeks later...