OGXbox.com

MakeMHZ project stellar

ShinGoutetsu

2 hours ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Yes upto 16TB I believe.  256mb has no updates as far I know.  I believe it’s going to be custom made chips from what I’ve read… but no updates yet 

Okay. Are you able to point to where it said custom chips may be used? I'm just curious about this is all. If you just read it in passing then I'll take your word for it for now. :)

29 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Okay. Are you able to point to where it said custom chips may be used? I'm just curious about this is all. If you just read it in passing then I'll take your word for it for now. :)

I've been on the discord a while. There was one or 2 small references about something being developed for it, but otherwise it has been very tight lipped.  Other comments inferred that it was not going to be inexpensive either.  We'll all have to wait and see. Right now the project's focus has been getting things working.  What i'd like to see is the legacy bios support (via sd card) in concert with at least XISO's being enabled (even if CISO is further down the line).  Then at least the chip would provide a means of testing the main stellar patched bios compared to other legacy bios' if there happens to be any games with issues (M8, Ind, cerb which are all xiso ready if you will). As of now testing cross projects is a matter of chip swapping, and that isn't idea. Be great to just leave the stellar on there and do it all from there.    Legacy format support was the first real major hurdle (for me) that is now working properly.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Incursion64 said:

I've been on the discord a while. There was one or 2 small references about something being developed for it, but otherwise it has been very tight lipped.  Other comments inferred that it was not going to be inexpensive either.  We'll all have to wait and see. Right now the project's focus has been getting things working.  What i'd like to see is the legacy bios support (via sd card) in concert with at least XISO's being enabled (even if CISO is further down the line).  Then at least the chip would provide a means of testing the main stellar patched bios compared to other legacy bios' if there happens to be any games with issues (M8, Ind, cerb which are all xiso ready if you will). As of now testing cross projects is a matter of chip swapping, and that isn't idea. Be great to just leave the stellar on there and do it all from there.    Legacy format support was the first real major hurdle (for me) that is now working properly.  

All good info, thanks. The legacy format support doesn't include Cerbios formatted drives tho.... Unless you have found differently??

• Like 1

From what I've read, I can't help but believe that supporting other BIOSes on a microSD card is nothing more than a gimmick at the moment. There hasn't been much effort in supporting anything else previously with MakeMHz... And if it does go ahead, I can't imagine it'll be a priority at all or that any competitive/preferable modern BIOSes or patches will even be supported anyway.

I've been interested in the native ATA TRIM support for SSDs as well, but it's not something that I've really seen discussed since its announcement... Sure, it's not actually all that big of a deal, but I'm keen to see it play out if it's actually a thing.

All of the kernel-level patching on-the-fly is the most attractive thing about it all to me at the moment, and also the integrated modern controller support that I haven't seen or heard anything about yet either...

There's a lot of promises and undelivered features, but also a lot of drama and refusals to support desired features that are provided elsewhere. I think I'll be on the fence about Project Stellar for a while, patiently seeing how it all plays out and what it has to offer in the long-run...

I think that a bit of competition for an internal HDMI output mod (not analogue-digital external converters) could be a good thing for the project overall - I recently saw some mention of PixelFX developing one?

In the meantime, an OpenXenium with freedom for my own choice of BIOSes/patches will be good enough for me, at least until something "Stellar" finally happens with this...

Edited by COO-589
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

what exactly does a legacy participation format change?

I'm new to Xbox modding. i have had a stellar chip since day 1. I was in the first preorder batch. never modded a og Xbox console before so I can't relate to y'all that have been doing it for 20 years and cerbios not being supported. when I upgraded my HDD I used fatxplorer.

i installed the chip in my 1.6 console.

Edited by lopenator

34 minutes ago, lopenator said:

what exactly does a legacy participation format change?

I'm new to Xbox modding. i have had a stellar chip since day 1. I was in the first preorder batch. never modded a og Xbox console before so I can't relate to y'all that have been doing it for 20 years and cerbios not being supported. when I upgraded my HDD I used fatxplorer.

i installed the chip in my 1.6 console.

Legacy partioning was the original LBA48 implementation. This meant that block sizes of data could be expanded and thus larger disk sizes were possible. The original xbox LBA didn’t allow larger disc sizes then 137 GB. The LBA48, which wasn’t full LBA48, enabled disk sizes till 2TB (max partition size of 1 TB). Cerbios partioning enbled disk size till 16 TB and max partition size of 2 TB.

Not sure why it’s not working, maybe enabling it on stellar is more work and couldn’t be delivered in time for the 1.10 release. Or maybe he will never deliver.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2023 at 11:17 AM, Bowlsnapper said:

Sorry.  Late….  Found this that refers to what I saw… not sure where I seen it though

IMG_6690.jpeg

I've been lurking Project Stellar discussions on various forums, etc. but haven't seen anything definitive about this yet...

Has anyone seen or heard if there's any way we're going to be able to have their HDMI kit (either old or new) and use a BIOS other than StellarOS, even if it's potentially one on a microSD card on the Stellar board?

There seems to be speculation/doubt as to the advertised feature of loading other BIOS on the microSD card actually being something that will be supported/released (and they definitely seem against CERBIOS especially)...

If it does come through that we can run another BIOS from a microSD card on the Stellar board (CERBIOS or otherwise), the consensus is that it will be expected that most or all of Project Stellar's additional features will not be available.

Surely if the ability to run another BIOS is a feature that gets added to Project Stellar, then there would also have to be some form of support on the Stellar board to still allow you to use their HDMI board (even if only the new one) as well, right??

I'm definitely now sceptical that support for other BIOS will be added (or apparently at least not for CERBIOS), or that we'd even be able to use their HDMI kit with another BIOS on Stellar, and pretty disappointed if this will be the case. StellarOS will have to meet or exceed what CERBIOS has to offer if they're going to run with such a proprietary product range...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, COO-589 said:

I've been lurking Project Stellar discussions on various forums, etc. but haven't seen anything definitive about this yet...

Has anyone seen or heard if there's any way we're going to be able to have their HDMI kit (either old or new) and use a BIOS other than StellarOS, even if it's potentially one on a microSD card on the Stellar board?

There seems to be speculation/doubt as to the advertised feature of loading other BIOS on the microSD card actually being something that will be supported/released (and they definitely seem against CERBIOS especially)...

If it does come through that we can run another BIOS from a microSD card on the Stellar board (CERBIOS or otherwise), the consensus is that it will be expected that most or all of Project Stellar's additional features will not be available.

Surely if the ability to run another BIOS is a feature that gets added to Project Stellar, then there would also have to be some form of support on the Stellar board to still allow you to use their HDMI board (even if only the new one) as well, right??

I'm definitely now sceptical that support for other BIOS will be added (or apparently at least not for CERBIOS), or that we'd even be able to use their HDMI kit with another BIOS on Stellar, and pretty disappointed if this will be the case. StellarOS will have to meet or exceed what CERBIOS has to offer if they're going to run with such a proprietary product range...

I feel that having your digital-to-digital HDMI mod connected to and dependant on the modchip is a bit of a reckless decision on Dustin's part.

• Thanks 1

It seems more and more people are starting to wake up to the fact that a LOT of the new wonderful "Exclusive" features are little more than vapourware with Stellar right now. 

It's a real shame because as I and other here have said, there is a LOT of potential with this chip. It's a shame that the fact its creator seems to be a bit of an asshat is what's going to hold it back.

If there is ANYONE ELSE out there that has the ability to create a competitor for Stellar (and isn't an asshat) then please do so. I for one will back you on Kickstarter, Patreon or wherever!! Competition would force a rethink on the Stellar creator's part. 

Edited by nikeymikey
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

It seems more and more people are starting to wake up to the fact that a LOT of the new wonderful "Exclusive" features are little more than vapourware with Stellar right now. 

It's a real shame because as I and other here have said, there is a LOT of potential with this chip. It's a shame that the fact its creator seems to be a bit of an asshat is what's going to hold it back.

If there is ANYONE ELSE out there that has the ability to create a competitor for Stellar (and isn't an asshat) then please do so. I for one will back you on Kickstarter, Patreon or wherever!! Competition would force a rethink on the Stellar creator's part. 

I would love for there to be some competition on the"new chip" front instead of a monopoly.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

I bet @KaosEngineer could whip something up in his sleep. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to chime in and say so far my experience with Stellar has been positive, but I was expecting a bit more when I first installed it. I think the StellarOS is nice and modern, and for it being the first iteration I think it's going to be exciting seeing where it is a few months from now, seeing as how useful it is so far.

I was a bit disappointed to find out how many features on the Stellar website were actually "coming soon" features. Not having ISO loading over SMB was a surprise, as was a few other features that were listed under Features. Anyways, the 1.4ghz CPU support has been interesting and appreciated on my part. Patching each XBE is a chore and so far it's been solid on the games I've tried, but I realize I'm in a minority there.

I've also seen updates and bugfixes so far, and that's encouraging that more progress will be made.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:56 AM, COO-589 said:

On-the-fly is the most attractive thing about it all to me at the moment, and also the integrated modern controller support that I haven't seen or heard anything about yet either...

I second this idea. Patching the kernel of the fly leads to some very interesting possibilities, if properly utilized. And it has a RaspberryPi based CPU able to act as a co-processor to do other tasks in the background, separate from the Xbox's CPU. It has potential to be something unique, beyond what other modchips have offered so far. My mind thinks back to how modded PlayStation Portable had plugins that could run in the background, taking screenshots and playing music and such. It would be cool to have a Stellar kernel module that acted as a DLNA client, for example, receiving music played from a phone or whatever. But things like that become possible, which is interesting.

But, it is still under development. At a reasonable pace so far, but people buying need to be aware that there's still "more to come". When I first got it, I played around with it and immediately went back to Cerbios for a few weeks until 1.4ghz support was released. Now I'm finding more use in it.

Also, I have to rebuild my Cerbios drive and use Titan now... which isn't terrible, but unfortunate. Plus, convert all my ISOs to CISO (instead of CCI). It would be great if Stellar supported these too, but at least it's a one time process to adapt the changes.

Edited by GoTeamScotch
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, GoTeamScotch said:

Just wanted to chime in and say so far my experience with Stellar has been positive, but I was expecting a bit more when I first installed it. I think the StellarOS is nice and modern, and for it being the first iteration I think it's going to be exciting seeing where it is a few months from now, seeing as how useful it is so far.

I was a bit disappointed to find out how many features on the Stellar website were actually "coming soon" features. Not having ISO loading over SMB was a surprise, as was a few other features that were listed under Features. Anyways, the 1.4ghz CPU support has been interesting and appreciated on my part. Patching each XBE is a chore and so far it's been solid on the games I've tried, but I realize I'm in a minority there.

I've also seen updates and bugfixes so far, and that's encouraging that more progress will be made.

I second this idea. Patching the kernel of the fly leads to some very interesting possibilities, if properly utilized. And it has a RaspberryPi based CPU able to act as a co-processor to do other tasks in the background, separate from the Xbox's CPU. It has potential to be something unique, beyond what other modchips have offered so far. My mind thinks back to how modded PlayStation Portable had plugins that could run in the background, taking screenshots and playing music and such. It would be cool to have a Stellar kernel module that acted as a DLNA client, for example, receiving music played from a phone or whatever. But things like that become possible, which is interesting.

But, it is still under development. At a reasonable pace so far, but people buying need to be aware that there's still "more to come". When I first got it, I played around with it and immediately went back to Cerbios for a few weeks until 1.4ghz support was released. Now I'm finding more use in it.

Also, I have to rebuild my Cerbios drive and use Titan now... which isn't terrible, but unfortunate. Plus, convert all my ISOs to CISO (instead of CCI). It would be great if Stellar supported these too, but at least it's a one time process to adapt the changes.

I think some people who have ALREADY PURCHASED it should realize that this isn't just a product. Ethics, morals and intentions have a massive part to play in this episode... I mean have you actually read more than a few posts of this thread and read the criticisms that have been presented? There is fair reasoning behind them. It's really not JUST a difference of opinion... Not on this one.

... And it's a cruel fate that such a capable product has been borne from such shady-ass roots. It SUCKS.

• Like 3

On 6/6/2023 at 8:34 AM, nikeymikey said:

I approve of the term "asshat" in this instance.

Couldn't edit my previous post to include another quote for some reason hence the extra post...