OGXbox.com

MakeMHZ project stellar

ShinGoutetsu

I finely got around to setting up the Project Stella chip. After eventually getting it updated because his severs where running slow.

So far I am NOT Impressed, I fitted it in place of a Open Xenium in a version 1.1 and it constantly booted in to safe mode telling me I have pressed the eject button, It doesn't like not having the DVD drive attached and adding a link on the DVD power connector to tell the MB the DVD tray is closed fixed that, It will not boot to a 3Tb HDD ( formatted as a 2.2tb ) that boots with all other bios files even though it's not formatted with cerbios let alone look at the 4tb formatted with cerbios.

The 2tb HDD then has xbmc4gamers as the default dash will only boot to the M$ dash

So far it's a huge thumbs down from me.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

1.0.6 update will be coming later today supposedly. 1.0.7 later in the week with partition table support. Once fatxplorer's new beta is out, there should be less issues with harddrives and corrupt data. For now its only kind of usable with everything on F partition. Format with fatxplorer with cerbios option, disable g partition and max out the f partition. Either way you'll have issues with corrupt data once you start filling the drive up. I recommend waiting for the updates and then prepare the drive. stock dash goes on c partition. stellar looks for the dash first on e:\dashboard\default.xbe. 

7 hours ago, luvbuckets said:

1.0.6 update will be coming later today supposedly. 1.0.7 later in the week with partition table support. Once fatxplorer's new beta is out, there should be less issues with harddrives and corrupt data. For now its only kind of usable with everything on F partition. Format with fatxplorer with cerbios option, disable g partition and max out the f partition. Either way you'll have issues with corrupt data once you start filling the drive up. I recommend waiting for the updates and then prepare the drive. stock dash goes on c partition. stellar looks for the dash first on e:\dashboard\default.xbe. 

Nobody should be needing to reformat drives or anything just to use this chip. Its mad the partition table support isn't there from the get go, it's a pretty basic function of a modded xbox bios and has been for years. Same can said for F&G support, that's a necessity on any non stock bios. I am actually surprised it fails at these basics after being hyped as such a fantastic mod. 

Tbh, I trust @SS_Dave and his opinion on this. It will be interesting to see how things pan out and if true support for Cerbios drives is ever actually added. 

Edited by nikeymikey
Spelling :)
  • Like 3

"Not supporting legacy partitions at launch was a poor design decision I made and I'm working on sorting that out."

That's literally a quote from Dustin. People make mistakes. At least this one is easily fixable. It was common knowledge that this chip was rushed to the consumer and that support/features would come later. From what I understood, Dustin prioritized getting it into people's hands (because we waited so long for it). Because of the features this chip supports (and more importantly the ones it doesn't), I understand people are going to be eager to trash this product. Me personally, I don't feel cheated and I can wait until after the updates roll out. After all, this is a 20+ year old console. I'm not in a rush to get all my games on it, just to let it go back on a shelf collecting dust...

35 minutes ago, luvbuckets said:

"Not supporting legacy partitions at launch was a poor design decision I made and I'm working on sorting that out."

That's literally a quote from Dustin. People make mistakes. At least this one is easily fixable. It was common knowledge that this chip was rushed to the consumer and that support/features would come later. From what I understood, Dustin prioritized getting it into people's hands (because we waited so long for it). Because of the features this chip supports (and more importantly the ones it doesn't), I understand people are going to be eager to trash this product. Me personally, I don't feel cheated and I can wait until after the updates roll out. After all, this is a 20+ year old console. I'm not in a rush to get all my games on it, just to let it go back on a shelf collecting dust...

If that means he is going to support ALL legacy partitions inc Cerbios formatted drives then that is a big U-turn and a truly positive show from Dustin, however I fear he may just be talking about F&G partitions here and nothing Cerbios related will change. 

On your point about it being a 20 year old console, yeah it is but there is a whole community that have been playing and using these consoles over the years before Stellar was a thing.

The fact that Stellar does not support all existing formats and options is literally a step backwards for anyone who has kept their Xbox upto date with the latest options ie Cerbios and the actual advances it bought to the scene. There are many of us out there in this situation with Cerbios formatted drives that have been setup in the last 2 years or so and work perfectly fine, yet for us to use what has the potential to be the greatest xbox modchip ever (Stellar), we would currently have to wipe everything from our hdd and start from scratch all over again 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, luvbuckets said:

1.0.6 update will be coming later today supposedly. 1.0.7 later in the week with partition table support

Sounds like he didn't full test it before releasing the 4 or 5 updates already

9 hours ago, luvbuckets said:

Once fatxplorer's new beta is out

So I will need to format again.

I don't really see why he is trying to 3rd line enforce using only his software or has he been taking lessons from Crapple.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

I don't know if you'll have to wipe your Harddrive or not? This product definitely feels like it's still in it's beta stage. Half the features aren't even enabled on it. All you and I can do is wait and see what happens l. Worst case scenario is you'll have to wipe your drive and move your data back. It took a whopping 6 hours for me to move 2tb over a USB adapter, it's not a big deal...

Edited by luvbuckets

52 minutes ago, luvbuckets said:

So is he saying he doesn't have a team of independent beta testers to give feed back before he released a product??

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 3

These are questions you'd have to ask him. You're more than welcome to join his discord and ask. You do own the product and it looks like you need support. Best place to ask is on his discord. All I can tell you is what I heard from other people. The priority was to get this product to the consumer first and then worry about support/features. I'm not trying to boot lick here. I just think this chip has allot of potential and I'm fine waiting for it to get there.

1 minute ago, luvbuckets said:

These are questions you'd have to ask him. You're more than welcome to join his discord and ask. You do own the product and it looks like you need support. Best place to ask is on his discord. All I can tell you is what I heard from other people. The priority was to get this product to the consumer first and then worry about support/features. I'm not trying to boot lick here. I just think this chip has allot of potential and I'm fine waiting for it to get there.

Anybody questioning the product or the lack of features in any way on the Discord gets their comment deleted and are also being banned for re asking the question. 

The launch of Stellar has really been a balls up, if basic features were not ready then he should not have launched.

12 minutes ago, luvbuckets said:

I don't know if you'll have to wipe your Harddrive or not? This product definitely feels like it's still in it's beta stage. Half the features aren't even enabled on it. All you and I can do is wait and see what happens l. Worst case scenario is you'll have to wipe your drive and move your data back. It took a whopping 6 hours for me to move 2tb over a USB adapter, it's not a big deal...

Yes, if you have a hard drive with a G partition then you have to wipe (this is truly huge issue as pretty much everyone who has a hdd thats 500gb+ will have a G partition), Also if you have a large hdd 3tb+ and have used Cerbios to format it then you will also have to wipe and start again. 

It is a big deal if like I said before you have spent time and effort setting up your drive only for Dustin to not support the most recent advances in the scene that came before Stellar and basically force you into his way of doing things, just like Apple do :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

basically force you into his way of doing things, just like Apple do :) 

I believe he did the same with the Open Xenium update to some degree as well as I have had a couple of people have issues after updating the OS to his version. 

I have also seen some comments about people that have ordered a chip and he now is not replying to there contacts about why people that ordered a chip after them have already received there chip.

I think I will stick the Stella chip back in the box and wait 3 months and try again, I should have known you never buy version 1 of anything.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I believe he did the same with the Open Xenium update to some degree as well as I have had a couple of people have issues after updating the OS to his version. 

I have also seen some comments about people that have ordered a chip and he now is not replying to there contacts about why people that ordered a chip after them have already received there chip.

I think I will stick the Stella chip back in the box and wait 3 months and try again, I should have known you never buy version 1 of anything.

I honestly hope that all the missing features get added and Stellar can actually be the mod it has the potential to be, but so far its not being helped along by its sketchy launch and its creators attitude. 

1 hour ago, nikeymikey said:

I honestly hope that all the missing features get added and Stellar can actually be the mod it has the potential to be, but so far its not being helped along by its sketchy launch and its creators attitude. 

I agree and I do this the chip has a lot of potential so I will wait and let some of the bugs get sorted.

Cheers

SS Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 2:58 AM, nikeymikey said:

If that means he is going to support ALL legacy partitions inc Cerbios formatted drives then that is a big U-turn and a truly positive show from Dustin, however I fear he may just be talking about F&G partitions here and nothing Cerbios related will change. 

On your point about it being a 20 year old console, yeah it is but there is a whole community that have been playing and using these consoles over the years before Stellar was a thing.

The fact that Stellar does not support all existing formats and options is literally a step backwards for anyone who has kept their Xbox upto date with the latest options ie Cerbios and the actual advances it bought to the scene. There are many of us out there in this situation with Cerbios formatted drives that have been setup in the last 2 years or so and work perfectly fine, yet for us to use what has the potential to be the greatest xbox modchip ever (Stellar), we would currently have to wipe everything from our hdd and start from scratch all over again 

Facts. Dustin was tone-deaf, which is not easily forgivable considering how easy the current scene is to understand and how important it is to make sure that your BRAND NEW MODCHIP's market has been analyzed correctly... And if you have morals and actually give a shit about what's right.

...Who the hell is luvbuckets, anyway? Lol

I'm the guy who isn't acting like tommy tough-nuts on an internet forum... Like stated before, the mod chip is currently in beta. It's one of the reasons you don't see any YouTube reviews of the product yet. So why don't you wait 6 months and then start your bitching? It's obvious you're going to hate on this product no matter how good it is.

22 minutes ago, luvbuckets said:

I'm the guy who isn't acting like tommy tough-nuts on an internet forum... Like stated before, the mod chip is currently in beta. It's one of the reasons you don't see any YouTube reviews of the product yet. So why don't you wait 6 months and then start your bitching? It's obvious you're going to hate on this product no matter how good it is.

Haha. Tommy tough nuts. That's me alright.

You're right, I am hating on it. Smart prediction. The developer's actions so far have provoked it as the only fair or reasonable response I know of based on those conditions... and based on the logic surrounding it. Oh well. Wish he had done things differently. Now I've formed a pretty strong opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luvbuckets said:

Its out there, people have these chips...... there are a couple of videos on youtube but yes no actual reviews. That will probably change soon enough tho. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Its out there, people have these chips...... there are a couple of videos on youtube but yes no actual reviews. That will probably change soon enough tho. 

If the chip was in beta, I failed to see mention of that in the product descriptions... But okay. Lol. :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

If the chip was in beta, I failed to see mention of that in the product descriptions... But okay. Lol. :P

My understanding is that project stellar will be in Beta for the good part of 2023. Don’t remember where I saw that though to point you to it.  Sorry.   But I do remember something along those lines 

Edited by Dtomcat18

@Bowlsnapperis just being a pretentious fucktrumpet. There's allot of those people in the retro community. He mocks me for being nobody in this "scene". If these are the types of people who have clout here, I'm glad I'm not a well known part of it... I'm done posting on this forum. I'm not interested in communicating in a forum that tolerates behaviour like his. I know I won't be missed. Who gives a shit.

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, luvbuckets said:

@Bowlsnapperis just being a pretentious fucktrumpet. There's allot of those people in the retro community. He mocks me for being nobody in this "scene". If these are the types of people who have clout here, I'm glad I'm not a well known part of it... I'm done posting on this forum. I'm not interested in communicating in a forum that tolerates behaviour like his. I know I won't be missed. Who gives a shit.

Lol, be done then, already. Don't let the door hit your ass.

32 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

My understanding is that project stellar will be in Beta for the good part of 2023. Don’t remember where I saw that though to point you to it.  Sorry.   But I do remember something along those lines 

I hear you, I'm just saying as far as sales descriptions, but maybe I'm wrong... It didn't seem to be hyped as a "beta"product.