OGXbox.com

MakeMHZ project stellar

ShinGoutetsu

3 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

I still use those buttons on my X3 CP fairly regularly......swapping between overclocked bioses and the X3 bios etc, but I am probably an edge case :)

True most of us here have more than one box, those who were lucky enough to have bought the full fat X3 setup back in the day or go one prior to the “rare” tax being added to any that are sold probably do use the buttons.   
 I would still be up for printing an X3 style facia even if the buttons didn't work or were not there, just because they are cool and iconic.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 6:31 AM, big F said:

The buttons are probably less than needed these days as most of us just install a Bios and live with it some one updates it.  Its far from the old days of needing to test Bios and not brick your box or get it banned fro. Xboxlive.

I hear there is still bios testing going on in 2022. 

On 11/22/2022 at 12:51 PM, big F said:

True most of us here have more than one box, those who were lucky enough to have bought the full fat X3 setup back in the day or go one prior to the “rare” tax being added to any that are sold probably do use the buttons.   
 I would still be up for printing an X3 style facia even if the buttons didn't work or were not there, just because they are cool and iconic.

I do the same thing. I had an oc'd version and regular version of the x3 bios for compatibility reasons. Now I have cerbios and x3, both overclocked. Whatever. Lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 2:01 PM, Rocky5 said:

Won’t make cerbios redundant as it requires specific hardware at $70, folk want stuff for free if they can get it. 

it’s not a new bios, (per say) it’s essentially a softmod that patches the kernel (must be supplied) in memory dynamically. It uses custom libraries (like DLLs according to Dustin) to patch functions etc…

So it’s tied to hardware and there is no way to use stellar outside of the stellar modchip. (As it’s not a bios, it’s a set of library’s)

I had read that stellaros it's not an on the fly stock bios patcher but a completely legal FOSS reimplementation. The stock retail Microsoft bios reimplementation source code without mods will be released for free and will be compatible with tsop and all the modchips. This doesn't mean that the full stellaros will be released for all the modchips but only the stock unmodified ms bios will be but having a C code reimplementation will mean that bios developers could easily implement new and much more powerful mods and patches like the ones of stellaros because until now the only way to make modified bioses is thru asm hacking and it's very difficult. I just preordered one of these and I hope that even cerbios partitions will be supported along with titan.

• 3 months later...

Now that Stellars are in some peoples hands we will get to see what all the fuss is about. Personally I am well and truly on the fence as to whether its worth it at the moment or not. Right now I don't actually see what it brings to the table apart from possibly splitting the OG Xbox community, the absolute refusal to support CCI images is a big issue to me. I'd like to have one set of compressed images that will work on ALL my consoles, whether I have a Stellar or not. 

There really isn't any reason for anyone not using Cerbios in a modded Xbox right now UNLESS they have a Stellar. I am in the process of creating a full pack of CCI images based on the Repackinator database which I will upload for all when I am finished, this pack will be great for anyone who wants a full set or just an image or two for their Cerbios setup. But they will not work with Stellar OS. The Repackinator team have reached out to Dustin (I believe) about supporting it but he has his own ideas with CISO. An format first used back in the PSP days afaik... These will ONLY work with Stellar. 

There is also the fact that Stellar OS ONLY Supports Titan formatted large drives (2tb>) and NOT Cerbios formatted drives. 

Cerbios was a HUGE step forward for the OG Xbox and a lot of people use it, It's free, supports 2tb> hdds, ISO loading as standard, even compressed isos and doesn't require a £100+ modchip to use. It just seems mad to me for Stellar not to support ALL the existing options that are already out there. Had Stellar had these thing supported then I would of preordered one for all my consoles. The features that may arise from Stellar could be fantastic, but a HUGE part of the community are being left behind because...??? 

There is a possibility that these missing features get added to Stellar eventually, but I think its unlikely, given the attitude shown by Dustin previously and if it stays that way then this already small community will be divided and that is not a good thing.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

There is also the fact that Stellar OS ONLY Supports Titan formatted large drives (2tb>) and NOT Cerbios formatted drives. 

There is a possibility that these missing features get added to Stellar eventually, but I think its unlikely, given the attitude shown by Dustin previously ...

The only, more or less, valid point I gave Dustin is " we can't support it because of legeal reasons ". However, with this in mind, he should also not support TITAN/EvoX in anyway even TITAN is just a patch it could be considered as "warez" because it's for a hacked/non legal bios. So in my opinion, he would need to write a hole new bios from scatch (Not to sure about the US laws here) or use something like cromwell as base which than would mean no games can run on it. 

To me that all just sounds like excuses. If he cant do it/is not willing to do it, why not provide some infos to team cerbios so they can add support for his stella/hd+ in a gentleman's agreement way not to leak any shit ever (both of them are closed source right?)? And yeah I know, money makes the world go round and that probably the only real reason here. So even I repeat my self, I consider MakeMHz as new Xecuter and even they supportet all bioses. ^^ 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

The only, more or less, valid point I gave Dustin is " we can't support it because of legeal reasons ". However, with this in mind, he should also not support TITAN/EvoX in anyway even TITAN is just a patch it could be considered as "warez" because it's for a hacked/non legal bios. So in my opinion, he would need to write a hole new bios from scatch (Not to sure about the US laws here) or use something like cromwell as base which than would mean no games can run on it. 

To me that all just sounds like excuses. If he cant do it/is not willing to do it, why not provide some infos to team cerbios so they can add support for his stella/hd+ in a gentleman's agreement way not to leak any shit ever (both of them are closed source right?)? And yeah I know, money makes the world go round and that probably the only real reason here. So even I repeat my self, I consider MakeMHz as new Xecuter and even they supportet all bioses. ^^ 

Agreed, Xecuter made the absolute cream of modchips back in the day and supported everything else available as well as their new features. Sellar could of been the modern X3 but so far is looking like its just an overengineered fix for the HDMI boards. 

Edited by nikeymikey

On 12/7/2022 at 7:39 AM, Lisko said:

I had read that stellaros it's not an on the fly stock bios patcher but a completely legal FOSS reimplementation.

False. Stellar OS is not a legal reimplementation. LoveMHz has posted pictures of him working on Stellar OS source code on Twitter, and you can see the retail Xbox BIOS source code in the background. Looking at source code and rewriting it for a new OS is not a "legal reimplementation". It's all false claims to make the product look better because it's "legal". Also it's not FOSS.

Edited by netcaneneo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Now that Stellars are in some peoples hands we will get to see what all the fuss is about. Personally I am well and truly on the fence as to whether its worth it at the moment or not. Right now I don't actually see what it brings to the table apart from possibly splitting the OG Xbox community, the absolute refusal to support CCI images is a big issue to me. I'd like to have one set of compressed images that will work on ALL my consoles, whether I have a Stellar or not. 

There really isn't any reason for anyone not using Cerbios in a modded Xbox right now UNLESS they have a Stellar. I am in the process of creating a full pack of CCI images based on the Repackinator database which I will upload for all when I am finished, this pack will be great for anyone who wants a full set or just an image or two for their Cerbios setup. But they will not work with Stellar OS. The Repackinator team have reached out to Dustin (I believe) about supporting it but he has his own ideas with CISO. An format first used back in the PSP days afaik... These will ONLY work with Stellar. 

Cerbios was a HUGE step forward for the OG Xbox and a lot of people use it, It's free, supports 2tb> hdds, ISO loading as standard, even compressed isos and doesn't require a £100+ modchip to use. It just seems mad to me for Stellar not to support ALL the existing options that are already out there. Had Stellar had these thing supported then I would of preordered one for all my consoles. The features that may arise from Stellar could be fantastic, but a HUGE part of the community are being left behind because...??? 

There is a possibility that these missing features get added to Stellar eventually, but I think its unlikely, given the attitude shown by Dustin previously and if it stays that way then this already small community will be divided and that is not a good thing.

For whatever reason he has a very poor attitude to Cerbios and as you've mentioned chooses to outright not support it at all. So much to the point that apparently sometimes posts that are related to Cerbios on the OG Xbox subreddit have been downvoted so they get off the front page. Presumably it's him and his team doing so.

For someone who isn't too much involved in the "scene", I feel there is allot of hatred going around towards Dustin. Yeah I'm all for that we as a community should pull together and such, but I do like to remind you that he is sticking his neck out. He is not merely an anonymous coder of some at least say "gray area SW", no he is actually releasing new stuff and trying to do it via the legal way. Whether or not he is succeeding or he is actually being to paranoid I'll leave up for the judges. But at least cut him some slack and try to walk a mile in his shoes. Anyway from the 2nd hand info it does seem that he can be a bit arrogant from time to time. I honestly f***ing don't care, he is pushing the XBOX into new boundaries. 

Now for the whole CCI discussion I would like to remind them of the following 😁

https://xkcd.com/927/

PS and yes I bought a Stellar, so probably my opinion is extremely biased😆. on the other hand I also do own multiple other modchips 😇

2 hours ago, coldasijs said:

For someone who isn't too much involved in the "scene", I feel there is allot of hatred going around towards Dustin. Yeah I'm all for that we as a community should pull together and such, but I do like to remind you that he is sticking his neck out. He is not merely an anonymous coder of some at least say "gray area SW", no he is actually releasing new stuff and trying to do it via the legal way. Whether or not he is succeeding or he is actually being to paranoid I'll leave up for the judges. But at least cut him some slack and try to walk a mile in his shoes. Anyway from the 2nd hand info it does seem that he can be a bit arrogant from time to time. I honestly f***ing don't care, he is pushing the XBOX into new boundaries. 

Now for the whole CCI discussion I would like to remind them of the following 😁

https://xkcd.com/927/

PS and yes I bought a Stellar, so probably my opinion is extremely biased😆. on the other hand I also do own multiple other modchips 😇

The "legal way" is a crap excuse seeing as he supports titan and they are patches based on the old school NOT LEGAL hacked bioses. 

"he is pushing the XBOX into new boundaries"

No. Not so far he isn't, Nothing about Stellar so far is so new and revolutionary that it cant already be done by free, already existing means.

Like I said previous, his product has the potential to be the King of Xbox mods but that will not be the case if he continues to disregard what the community are already doing and using. Trying to force everyone to buy his £100+ chip and into his ecosystem by not supporting existing standards. He is just like Apple in a way. He did a similar thing with the previous HDMI mod and only supported a certain EvoX bios. If you wanted to sue a different bios then you were shit out of luck.

It has potential for expansion and brand new as yet unannounced features but what's the point in any of that if you make your already small potential customer base even smaller by not supporting CURRENT features that they already use. If he would support the features of Cerbios, then i could pop Stellar into my already modded Xbox(s) and use the existing HDD setup without issues. As it goes I would have to start again from scratch HDD wise because he doesn't support Cerbios formatted drives. 

The example you tried to make with your link doesn't work either. Fine, create a new format if you absolutely must but support the existing options too. FFS its a 20+ year old console not a cutting edge piece of tech where everyone is trying to be first and best with their implementations of it. 

Dustin could be making a HUGE contribution to the community with Stellar, but by INTENTIONALLY crippling the product he is just cutting of his nose to spite his face. 

IF he was to change his mind I would buy 3 or 4 Stellar chips AND HDMI mods immediately and I'm sure there are others that would do the same. But i just don't see him budging on it. 

Edited by nikeymikey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

The "legal way" is a crap excuse seeing as he supports titan and they are patches based on the old school NOT LEGAL hacked bioses. 

"he is pushing the XBOX into new boundaries"

No. Not so far he isn't, Nothing about Stellar so far is so new and revolutionary that it cant already be done by free, already existing means.

Like I said previous, his product has the potential to be the King of Xbox mods but that will not be the case if he continues to disregard what the community are already doing and using. Trying to force everyone to buy his £100+ chip and into his ecosystem by not supporting existing standards. He is just like Apple in a way. He did a similar thing with the previous HDMI mod and only supported a certain EvoX bios. If you wanted to sue a different bios then you were shit out of luck.

It has potential for expansion and brand new as yet unannounced features but what's the point in any of that if you make your already small potential customer base even smaller by not supporting CURRENT features that they already use. If he would support the features of Cerbios, then i could pop Stellar into my already modded Xbox(s) and use the existing HDD setup without issues. As it goes I would have to start again from scratch HDD wise because he doesn't support Cerbios formatted drives. 

The example you tried to make with your link doesn't work either. Fine, create a new format if you absolutely must but support the existing options too. FFS its a 20+ year old console not a cutting edge piece of tech where everyone is trying to be first and best with their implementations of it. 

Dustin could be making a HUGE contribution to the community with Stellar, but by INTENTIONALLY crippling the product he is just cutting of his nose to spite his face. 

IF he was to change his mind I would buy 3 or 4 Stellar chips AND HDMI mods immediately and I'm sure there are others that would do the same. But i just don't see him budging on it. 

Agreed. He's basically creating a whole new infrastructure and foundation that is intentionally incompatible with other mods in an attempt to monopolize the market. Xecuter was the best back when. They were a LITTLE shady, but at least their products contributed to the scene rather than splitting it off in two different directions. Once I saw Dustin's argument for not supporting other bioses with their HDMI encoder, I had a different opinion of him. He's engineering hardware for the Xbox and he's expecting us all to believe that the one bios supported by his HDMI encoder is based on non-MS code? Does he think we're stupid? He picked a popular bios at random because he needed people to be able to use his HDMI mod so that he could raise money for the stellar project and further the cause of not supporting anything traditional or mainstream. Period. 

Xecuter was, morally, in a much better position than makemhz is at this point. It's a shame, because stellar looks to be an amazing engineering achievement with a lot of potential.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Agreed. He's basically creating a whole new infrastructure and foundation that is intentionally incompatible with other mods in an attempt to monopolize the market. Xecuter was the best back when. They were a LITTLE shady, but at least their products contributed to the scene rather than splitting it off in two different directions. Once I saw Dustin's argument for not supporting other bioses with their HDMI encoder, I had a different opinion of him. He's engineering hardware for the Xbox and he's expecting us all to believe that the one bios supported by his HDMI encoder is based on non-MS code? Does he think we're stupid? He picked a popular bios at random because he needed people to be able to use his HDMI mod so that he could raise money for the stellar project and further the cause of not supporting anything traditional or mainstream. Period. 

Xecuter was, morally, in a much better position than makemhz is at this point. It's a shame, because stellar looks to be an amazing engineering achievement with a lot of potential.

The things is, he is alienating the very people who can make his project a success. Those who have multiple consoles and have spent time and money to get them setup in a way they like and by not supporting the existing options, his chip is no good to them.

Things would be very different if Cerbios didn't exist or Stellar had come first. Cerbios pushed the scene on with things that were missing form the older bioses, so of course a lot of people jumped at the chance for huge hdd support, custom boot intros and compressed isos. Now Dustin comes along and says "Here's my great product but fuck all you with existing setups that already have the features I am adding to my mod, if you wanna use it then you have to change everything to my standards".

I bet he's an Android user too because "fuck apple and their walled garden". If that's the case then what a hypocrite. He has become the Apple of modchips. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 12:52 PM, SS_Dave said:

Haven't had time to test it yet

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Dang part 2 :)

Social media and YouTube videos for Stellar has been minimal thus far.... Was expecting some YouTube reviews already by now...

My Stellar modchip is still in the mail, not expecting it to arrive in my shores for at least 2 more weeks

I just hope this pushes others to consider what else can be done via the LPC bus with minimal hardware other than Dustin. It's not comparable but just a day or so ago rasteri unveiled his project to support ISA cards via the LPC bus on appropriate PC hardware.

I feel like his stubbornness will be a detriment for Stellar going forward as far as the CCI debate is concerned; not only is his argument shallow and hypocritical but also going back to my earlier point hardware like the Stellar being the only game in town for the time being could potentially cause a rift in Xbox software development for those who choose to cater for it and those who cannot/do not.

Edited by Mu.
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Mu. said:

I just hope this pushes others to consider what else can be done via the LPC bus with minimal hardware other than Dustin. It's not comparable but just a day or so ago rasteri unveiled his project to support ISA cards via the LPC bus on appropriate PC hardware.

I feel like his stubbornness will be a detriment for Stellar going forward as far as the CCI debate is concerned; not only is his argument shallow and hypocritical but also going back to my earlier point hardware like the Stellar being the only game in town for the time being could potentially cause a rift in Xbox software development for those who choose to cater for it and those who cannot/do not.

Very good point. Since the concepts of pushing the lpc to the max have been demonstrated, maybe somebody with better character and genuine intentions can do the same for all of us and give us the REAL new x3 of this age. Now THAT would warm my heart. Let's hope that that's the one good thing to come out of this in the long term. :)

• Like 2