OGXbox.com

New to OpenXenium - How to update to MakeMHz XeniumOS 2.3.5?

SaturnX

Hey everyone!

Not new to the OG Xbox scene, but am new to using OpenXenium chips. 

I’ve just done an install on my Crystal 1.6 - rebuilt LPC with a Chimeric Systems QSB - and everything is working fine. 

However, I’m trying to update to the “unofficial” MakeMHz XeniumOS to address the “lines” issue when using component out on a 1.6. 

When I attempt to use the MakeMHz updater tool, it throws back the error:

”Unknown XeniumOS Detected”

The supplier that I got my chip from seems to have loaded the XeniumGold OS 2.3.1 - as when I boot into XeniumOS I have a “Xenium 24k Gold” skin. 

How would I go about reinstalling XeniumOS 2.3.1 (as per the recommendation on the MakeMHz GitHub) so that I can update to 2.3.5?

I’m sure this is a stupid/noob question - but just wanted to be sure so I don’t brick/soft brick the chip.

Thanks for the help!

Ah, that's the reason why it won't update, xeniumOS Gold version installed on the Openxenium.  The firmware updater is checking the hash of the BIOS and it doesn't match what it is looking for.  I suggest using @Ryzee119's xeniumtools.xbe Xbox Application to write a non-gold dump of XeniumOS 2.3.1 to it.

Edit: Hmm, I thought I have the dump handy but didn't find it.  I'll do some more searching for it and add a link to download it in another post.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Ah, that's the reason why it won't update, xeniumOS Gold version installed on the Openxenium.  The firmware updater is checking the hash of the BIOS and it doesn't match what it is looking for.  I suggest using @Ryzee119's xeniumtools.xbe Xbox Application to write a non-gold dump of XeniumOS 2.3.1 to it.

Edit: Hmm, I thought I have the dump handy but didn't find it.  I'll do some more searching for it and add a link to download it in another post.

I had a feeling that was the case - just a question regarding the use of Xenium-Tools - so I select the “Write a 2.3.1 OS Update” or “Write a raw flash .bin”?

Also would the link you posted be different from the Xbins version of XeniumOS 2.3.1 (which is the recovery.bin)

Thanks again! I feel like I’m being overly cautious… really just don’t want to mess this up. 

@KaosEngineer so I did a super quick hex compare between the TruHexen flash.bin and the dump you provided. 

Seems like the following is the case:

00000000-000FFFFF - different (first 1MB is stored bioses, so to be expected)

001FC000-001FFFFF - different (non-volatile settings, so to be expected)

The remaining content appears to be same across both dumps, so I guess that leads me to believe I’m good to flash either.

Yes, either should work.

I know the dump from my Xenium modchip works. IIRC, two evox M8 BIOS flashed to it are M8 for v1.0-1.4 and M8 for v1.6.  They can be removed and new Launch Items added to flash the BIOSes to the modchip that you want to use.

I don't know from where or what BIOSes are present in the TruHexen flash dump.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Yes, either should work.

I know the dump from my Xenium modchip works. IIRC, two evox M8 BIOS flashed to it are M8 for v1.0-1.4 and M8 for v1.6.  They can be removed and new Launch Items added to flash the BIOSes to the modchip that you want to use.

I don't know from where or what BIOSes are present in the TruHexen flash dump.

Excellent - finally had a moment to sit down and do a more detailed compare, running the MD5 checksums on the block range 100000-1FBFFF is exactly the same between your dump and the TruHexen dump. Further the CRC32 of your dump/TruHexen match the expected CRCs checked against the MakeMHz updater for the XeniumOS block (0x100000-0x17FFFF) and the expected Bootloader block (0x180000-0x1BFFFF).

I won't bother digging any further, I'll go ahead and flash over your dump and then proceed with the upgrade to the Unofficial 2.3.5 from MakeMhz.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

Just a quick update and in case anyone is in the same boat as I am - everything went smoothly with updating to 2.3.5 with the following steps. 

1. Flashed a “Raw 2MB Flash Dump” of XOS2.3.1 provided by @KaosEngineer in the thread linked above (not from the TruHexen Installer) using the latest release of Xenium Tools

Note: After flashing, my system LEDs pulsed amber several times then stopped on red. I was a little concerned at first, let it sit then powered it down. Upon powering back up, I was greeted with the fresh XOS2.3.1 message, so all went well!

2. Grabbed the latest MakeMHz XeniumOS (2.3.5 at the time of posting) - followed the instructions provided (copy over recovery.bin to E:\ and run the updater xbe)

The updater detected the correct XOS version and proceeded to update the OS and Bootloader. Reboot when done!

3. Enjoy the v1.6 without any component video issues when in XeniumOS

• Like 1