OGXbox.com

[SOLVED] The right bios for 2tb Hard Drive

noz1380

I have been trying many combintations based on info found here, but still cannot get the dash to see G: Drive.

I have a 1.6 with an original X2.6 Install, and a 2tb drive with the Origin Image (Only becuase I wanted to get things setup and back into OG Xbox)

I have been using bios' downloaded from the right sources, and uploading them via ethernet with flashbios always on bank 1&2.

I have tried the following either modified with EVTool (for 256k) or X2ool for the Xecuter bios (5035 512k)

I try to mod the bios for LBA support, but its not happening.  I think there maybe an issue with the programs above and compatability/admin rights??

So far I have tried:

x2_5035_v16plus_512k modified with X2ool

M8plus_16 modified with EVTool (1.0.8)

M8_16_LBA48_IGR_C-06 modified with EVTool (1.0.8)

The last one I really expected to work......I've not played with any partition tools as I was concerned that I might loose data.  Finally, I've not tried any of the installation DVD's as the drives dont seem to be working.....

Thank you for the upload.

I have tried both bios that you sent, combined with flashbios 3.0.3 on bank 1&2 and your bios on 3&4.

Still the same result.  F=0GB G=Unavailable.

I have a startech adapter, 80pin cable.

Really unsure what is happening.

Kinda glad to repeat with your bios, something must be off with my setup.......

3 hours ago, noz1380 said:

Thank you for the upload.

I have tried both bios that you sent, combined with flashbios 3.0.3 on bank 1&2 and your bios on 3&4.

Still the same result.  F=0GB G=Unavailable.

I have a startech adapter, 80pin cable.

Really unsure what is happening.

Kinda glad to repeat with your bios, something must be off with my setup.......

Run XBPartitioner v1.3 on your Xbox. 

What does it show for the configuration of the two extended partitions 6 and 7 (F and G drives)?

21 hours ago, noz1380 said:

This is the odd one....The drive size is different when I move the selection over it.

2 tb_1.jpg

You need a BIOS, Evox M8plus_16 that has the LBA48 v3 patch applied.  The xbins distribution version does not included the LBA48 v3 patch and the default BIOS configuration is F up to 137GB and G takes the rest.  The LBA48 v3 patch reads a partition table written by XBPartitioner v1.3 used to set custom partition sizes and the proper cluster size for them.   

Edit: Wait, XBPartitioner v1.3 shows that the BIOS does have the LBA48 v3 patch applied. 

Which application was used to format the two extended partitions?

6 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Already postet one (two, noDVD/yesDVD) above.

After I posted my reply, I noticed that XBpartitioner v1.3 shows that the BIOS in use has the LBA48 v3 patch.  So, the application used for format the extended partitions 6 and 7 did so improperly.  It used the default LBA48 setting of the BIOS - partition 6 up to 137GBs and G takes the rest.  And, there must be no partition table present on the hard drive.

Edit: Oh, X3 BIOS see my next post. 

• Like 1

I think the issue might have come about when initially trying to setup the drive with my x3. I believe some of the bios setting for partitions can screw things up??

I have re done the image and will test it later. 

thank you all for the input tho. Glad to see I wasn't doing things wrong in the first place with patching bios etc. 

9 hours ago, noz1380 said:

I think the issue might have come about when initially trying to setup the drive with my x3. I believe some of the bios setting for partitions can screw things up??

I have re done the image and will test it later. 

thank you all for the input tho. Glad to see I wasn't doing things wrong in the first place with patching bios etc. 

Ah ha, you are using the X3 BIOS on your X3 modcip. Yes, yes. You need to make sure that the Use Saved Partition Table option is Enabled in the Disk ToolsNew Hard Drive Upgrade submenu:

Imgur photo album guide: X3 BIOS - Large Hard Drive - Use Saved Partition Table

Use XBpartitioner to format the two extended partitions, not the X3 BIOS.  The X3 BIOS will not properly format them.  It only supports using 16KB clusters and the extended partitions on a 2TB hard drive require 64KB clusters which XBPartitioner v1.3 can do when it actually works. Sometimes you have to re - partition/format the extended partitions a couple of times for the operation to take hold after they were original formatted using 16KB clusters.

X3 BIOS improperly partitioned 2TB hard drive using 16KB clusters. Note the ER text to the left of partition 7's size.

Partitions 6 and 7 should both be 927.78GBs and report using 64KB clusters when you highlight / select it.

• Thanks 1