OGXbox.com

.EXE to .XBE

Felipe_Desenvolver

14 hours ago, Felipe_Desenvolver said:

How do i convert a .EXE executable to .XBE Or Dump a .EXE into .XBE?

have you got the executable source code? if not then have you got a debug version of the executable?

The other question is what copyright and/or user agreement is on the exe?

Edited by corona2222
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, corona2222 said:

você tem o código fonte executável? se não, então você tem uma versão de depuração do executável?

A outra questão é que copyright e/ou acordo de usuário está no exe?

I have the game's source code only

I don't have debug version of the executable

I believe I have the copyright on the executable

When the XDK compiles a program for the Xbox on a PC, it firsts creates an EXE file that then gets converted to an XBE file for the Xbox.  There must be an application in the XDK to do this conversion.  It has been too long since I worked with the XDK on a PC to compile XBMC that I don't recall exactly how the conversion was done.  I currently do not have a PC with the XDK and Visual Studio 2003 installed to compile XBMC to see what happens.

The compilation process of a program for the Xbox, XBMC4Xbox in this case, is set in the project file for Visual Studio as seen in this dot vcproj file:

https://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/xbmc4xbox/repository/xbmc4xbox/revisions/33032/entry/trunk/xbmc.vcproj

and the Build.bat file:

https://redmine.exotica.org.uk/projects/xbmc4xbox/repository/xbmc4xbox/revisions/33032/entry/trunk/Build.bat

17 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

CXBX does just the opposite. It attempts to convert an XBE file to an EXE to run it on a PC.

I coulda' sworn that in the old version of CXBX (Caustik's version, not CXBX-R) There were both options; EXE to XBE and XBE to EXE in the "File" dropdown menu. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly? I know that it would automatically convert an XBE to EXE when trying to run an game.

So this guy's just missing the last step in the process of compiling that involves the XDK creating an XBE out of the executable tht's created in VS 2003. Got it. 

37 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I coulda' sworn that in the old version of CXBX (Caustik's version, not CXBX-R) There were both options; EXE to XBE and XBE to EXE in the "File" dropdown menu. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly? I know that it would automatically convert an XBE to EXE when trying to run an game.

So this guy's just missing the last step in the process of compiling that involves the XDK creating an XBE out of the executable tht's created in VS 2003. Got it. 

So dude he actually converted .EXE to .XBE just tested, And yes I saw a comment from "Caustik" in a forum a long time ago where he confirmed that CXBX was not made to be an emulator but a converter but he still does not open on Xbox I believe that because it does not contain the KERNEL nor the MICROSOFT DIGITAL SIGNATURE But I know there is a program that simulates this signature but I don't remember the name now and the KERNEL encoded in the file I already know how Vlw helps Dude!!!

40 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Eu poderia jurar que na versão antiga do CXBX (versão de Caustik, não CXBX-R) havia as duas opções; EXE para XBE e XBE para EXE no menu suspenso "Arquivo". Talvez eu esteja lembrando incorretamente? Eu sei que converteria automaticamente um XBE para EXE ao tentar executar um jogo.

Então esse cara está perdendo a última etapa do processo de compilação que envolve o XDK criando um XBE a partir do executável que foi criado no VS 2003. Entendi. 

20221003_224436.jpg

12 minutes ago, Felipe_Desenvolver said:

So dude he actually converted .EXE to .XBE just tested, And yes I saw a comment from "Caustik" in a forum a long time ago where he confirmed that CXBX was not made to be an emulator but a converter but he still does not open on Xbox I believe that because it does not contain the KERNEL nor the MICROSOFT DIGITAL SIGNATURE But I know there is a program that simulates this signature but I don't remember the name now and the KERNEL encoded in the file I already know how Vlw helps Dude!!!

Interesting. So the emulator could run an XDK built .exe but not modify it in a way that could be run on the xbox?

11 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Interessante. Então, o emulador poderia executar um .exe construído pelo XDK, mas não modificá-lo de uma maneira que pudesse ser executado no xbox?

I believe so, from what I understand it's the same

I believe it is not fulfilled for not having the Xbox KERNEL

Edited by Felipe_Desenvolver

6 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Maybe so.  It has been a long time since I looked at Cxbx. 

Let me take a look at the latest release available on the xbins mirroring website.

There are Import Exe and Save Xbe menu options.

1891752856_Cxbx0.8.0-Pre2Screenshot.png.a18b2cff5085632d23eb2876857b6b69.png

However, I don't believe its as simple as this makes it seem to convert a PC Exe file to a working Xbox Xbe.  Without linking the library code for various Xbox operations/functions, a PC Exe file is not going to magically run on an Xbox.

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

however, I don't believe its as simple as this makes it seem to convert a PC Exe file to a working Xbox Xbe. 

agreed. I'm not familiar with CXBX but I would assume you would need a lot of luck how the EXE was built. e.g. If it uses Direct X vs Open GL, if it uses WinAPI or other third party libs which may not be identified by CXBX.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:04 PM, Felipe_Desenvolver said:

I have the game's source code only

I don't have debug version of the executable

I believe I have the copyright on the executable

Cool source code is a good start. Debug version is not needed as you have source code.

My approach is to rebuild the EXE from source code into an XBE - a sure way but long way compared to the other guys on this thread suggesting CXBX -if CXBX method works it will save a lot of work. The long approach I would use: 

1. get a PC setup for XBOX development, if I recall correctly someone on this forum created an updated Xbox development kit install, alternatively find the article on xbox dev (if i recall win2000, VC2003, XDK).

2. sort an XBOX debug kit  - (convert a retail kit).  I'm unsure how good the xbox emulator is, maybe it can be used - who knows.

3. examine the source code, get an idea what language(s) was used, what libs are uses, figure out the equivalent XDK calls. Possibly rewrite some bits from scratch or use an existing xbox engine source / lib.

4. modify all the code as needed to run as expected on xbox (lots of debugging and coffee) 

The complete work size depends on code base size, quality, complexity and your programmers ability.

Not impossible but depends how much time, effort and cost, you want to put in going this. Fingers crossed CXBX may do a quick job and save all the work. 

Edited by corona2222

3 hours ago, corona2222 said:

concordou. Não estou familiarizado com o CXBX, mas suponho que você precisaria de muita sorte como o EXE foi construído. por exemplo, se usa Direct X vs Open GL, se usa WinAPI ou outras bibliotecas de terceiros que podem não ser identificadas pelo CXBX.

Código fonte legal é um bom começo. A versão de depuração não é necessária, pois você possui o código-fonte.

Minha abordagem é reconstruir o EXE do código-fonte em um XBE - um caminho certo, mas longo em comparação com os outros caras neste tópico, sugerindo CXBX - se o método CXBX funcionar, economizará muito trabalho. A abordagem longa que eu usaria: 

1. obter uma configuração de PC para o desenvolvimento do XBOX, se bem me lembro alguém neste fórum criou uma instalação atualizada do kit de desenvolvimento do Xbox, ou encontre o artigo no xbox dev (se me lembro do win2000, VC2003, XDK).

2. classificar um kit de depuração XBOX - (converter um kit de varejo). Não tenho certeza de quão bom é o emulador de xbox, talvez possa ser usado - quem sabe.

3. examine o código-fonte, tenha uma ideia de quais linguagens foram usadas, quais bibliotecas são usadas, descubra as chamadas XDK equivalentes. Possivelmente reescreva alguns bits do zero ou use uma fonte / lib do mecanismo xbox existente.

4. modifique todo o código conforme necessário para rodar como esperado no xbox (muita depuração e café) 

O tamanho completo do trabalho depende do tamanho da base de código, qualidade, complexidade e habilidade do programador.

Não é impossível, mas depende de quanto tempo, esforço e custo, você deseja investir nisso. Dedos cruzados CXBX pode fazer um trabalho rápido e salvar todo o trabalho. 

Ok

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...