OGXbox.com

Brand new X3 panel woes!

Bowlsnapper

Boy, I sure am having a woeful evening.

I just put my X3 console into a brand new spotless case, with a brand new never used X3 panel, and boy, does it look beautiful. Just like the box I built in 2004! I was very nostalgic and happy. All the lights were strong and bright and the screen is immaculate. Well, that was too good to last. After 4 hours, the switch panel lighting started turning off and on and making me nervous. Now it's just practically off, and only a couple leds are very, VERY dimly lit. Is this something that happens with the panels sometimes? Do I need to open this thing all the way back up and reseat the LED panel jack in the chip? I have a feeling that it's NOT going to be the problem, of course it's worth a shot. God, I hope this brand new X3CP isn't DOA...

I'll check the cable tomorrow, but any advice is VERY welcome. This console has a lot of sentimental value to me, based on what it represents.

Thanks, guys!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, hastings298 said:

I had a similar issue once, the little wheel on the X3 chip was just pushed too hard one way, just tweaking it back and forth until the screen lit back up fixed it. Hope you fixed it in the mean time if not.

I DID inspect it, and I think that one of the positive wires got the insulation scraped off (of the ribbon leading to the switch panel) from rubbing against the edge of the hole I ran it through on the RF shield. It was probably grounding out. Now, bank selection is schetchy and certain combos show an intermittently changing indicated bank selection when in X3CL. Sometimes it will stay on the proper setting for what buttons I have pushed in if I push in and hold down switch 3 and DON'T FUCKING MOVE ONE MICROMETER... Also, the LED for switch 4 does not illuminate anymore. I'm hoping this can be remedied by either using the older bank switch PCB from the panel I switched out, or the older molex cable linking it to the chip. If I fried some sort of controller on the chip I'm gonna be PISSED.

I believe you two are talking about different things. Hastings is talking about the LCD contrast (or backlight?) and the control pot on the X3 chip. Bowlsnapper is talking about the X3 switches and status LEDs which are unaffected by the potentiometer.

I also have a stability issue with the X3 controls, but it's with the small black one that you stick to the front of a normal panel, not the whole custom front panel. I believe it's the wires breaking after too many stresses and bends. Mine has flickery or dim LEDs very often but rarely boots from the wrong bank.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Prehistoricman said:

I believe you two are talking about different things. Hastings is talking about the LCD contrast (or backlight?) and the control pot on the X3 chip. Bowlsnapper is talking about the X3 switches and status LEDs which are unaffected by the potentiometer.

I also have a stability issue with the X3 controls, but it's with the small black one that you stick to the front of a normal panel, not the whole custom front panel. I believe it's the wires breaking after too many stresses and bends. Mine has flickery or dim LEDs very often but rarely boots from the wrong bank.

I think he was just trying to be supportive of another fellow Control Panel owner :)

• Like 1