OGXbox.com

Noob needs help with modchip + 3TB HDD

igorsvetlana

Hello all,

I've just dusted off my old Xbox and have some questions about it, I've tried to Google it but the people writing answers is on a whole other level of knowledge.

I'm looking to install a 3TB HDD in my Xbox and I have some questions. I have a Xenium modchip, and I'm wondering if I can follow along this guy from 24:18 and forward?

Can I use Cerbios with my Xenium modchip? When I boot the Xbox now it says Xecuter2 under the Xbox logo, I've tried every tool in my dashboard but no one seems to tell me the BIOS that I run now. I think I have a revision 1.4 because I've a Focus video chip, I've also looked for soldering on those pins for TSOP flash, but they don't seem to be touch (just read about a guy that managed to flash TSOP and brick his device).

I just want someone to verify that I can upgrade the BIOS so that I can utilize the 3TB HDD before I manage to brick it.

Second question that I have is this little switch that's connected to the modchip itself, what does it do? There seems to be no difference where it put it, it has two "modes" front and back. 

Thanks in advance

Capture.JPG

Untitled.jpg

10 hours ago, igorsvetlana said:

I've tried every tool in my dashboard but no one seems to tell me the BIOS that I run now.

Which dashboard are you running now?

If UnleashX, press the (Y) button on the controller to open up a System Info window.  Look for the Kernel version value displayed in it.

if the stock Xbox dashboard, select Settings > System Info. Wait for the K and D lines displayed at the end of the copyright scroller before it repeats.

What values did you find?

10 hours ago, igorsvetlana said:

Second question that I have is this little switch that's connected to the modchip itself, what does it do? There seems to be no difference where it put it, it has two "modes" front and back. 

Which switch the one you outlined in red on the LED printed circuit board picture you attached or on the modchip itself?

I thought the one on the LED board is used to set the brightness of the LED on the board.  One direction it lights up brighter than the other.

The switch on the modchip itself selects normal or recovery mode.  Recovery mode looks for a XeniumOS recovery.bin file in the root folder of the E drive.  Recovery mode is used to repair or upgrade the Xenium OS on the modchip.

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Which dashboard are you running now?

If UnleashX, press the (Y) button on the controller to open up a System Info window.  Look for the Kernel version value displayed in it.

if the stock Xbox dashboard, select Settings > System Info. Wait for the K and D lines displayed at the end of the copyright scroller before it repeats.

What values did you find?

I think I'm running EvoX? I'm totally new to this... BIOS: Unknown, Kernel: 1.00.4983.06

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Which switch the one you outlined in red on the LED printed circuit board picture you attached or on the modchip itself?

I thought the one on the LED board is used to set the brightness of the LED on the board.  One direction it lights up brighter than the other.

The switch on the modchip itself selects normal or recovery mode.  Recovery mode looks for a XeniumOS recovery.bin file in the root folder of the E drive.  Recovery mode is used to repair or upgrade the Xenium OS on the modchip.

The switch I outlined just seems to change the brightness of the LED on the "outside" circuit board, but do I need this, can I unplug it out of the modchip itself?

When I start the Xbox with the "eject disk"-button I get to a screen where it says Xenium, is this the recovery mode? Or when do I need to flip the switch on the modchip itself?

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Edited by igorsvetlana

10 minutes ago, igorsvetlana said:

I think I'm running EvoX? I'm totally new to this... BIOS: Unknown, Kernel: 1.00.4983.06

4983.06 is the Team Xecuter's X2 4983 BIOS with the LBA48 setting is configured for F only (partition 6).

The switch I outlined just seems to change the brightness of the LED on the "outside" circuit board, but do I need this, can I unplug it out of the modchip itself?

It is not required for the modchip to work.  Yes, you can unplug it. 

It is simply an additional LED that can be installed a short distance from the modchip and the connector on the other end of the PCB is used to daisy-chain, I believe, up to 8 of those LED PCBs.

When I start the Xbox with the "eject disk"-button I get to a screen where it says Xenium, is this the recovery mode? Or when do I need to flip the switch on the modchip itself?

Using the Eject button to power on the console starts the Xenium OS.  The Xenium's own control software.  Recovery mode is accessible by moving the switch on the modchip and rebooting the console or selecting Recovery Mode from the Xenium OS's menu.  Recovery mode looks for the file E:\recovery.bin on the Xbox's hard drive and loads it to repair or update the current Xenium OS version installed on the modchip.

Which version of the XeniumOS is installed on the modchip?

11 minutes ago, igorsvetlana said:

Xenium OS V2.0 Pre-Release, my RCA to HDMI was so slow had to record it with slowmotion.

Ok, the latest TeamXodus release of the Xenium OS is v2.3.1.

I suggest upgrading to that version using Recovery Mode then if the current Launch Menu items/BIOSes are wipeout out during the process, add them back.

To upgrade the Xenium OS, download the Xenium OS 2.3.1 HDD version's RAR archive, extract its content then upload the Recovery/recovery.bin file to the top-level / root folder of the E drive.  Select the Recovery menu option to update the OS.

Edit: Added the link for the Xenium OS RAR archive to download it.

Edit2: Fixed a couple of typos and reworded content.