OGXbox.com

Box art / screenshots not showing?

willis

Back again with another question, still tweaking the XBMC Emustation and something else popped up. Is there any reason for the box art and screenshots of games not showing? I've downloaded the artwork from the downloader and all the roms names match with the specific artwork, however they don't show up in the carousel with the games listed. The preview movies will show up when I press the 'y' button in the carousel menu, but none of the artwork will show.

Now by default when I first installed XBMC Emustation it was pointing to the Q:\ drive but since all my roms/media/emulators are on F:\ i switched the file paths in the advanced settings/custom asset paths to point to the proper folders on F:\.

Alright, I have the paths set for all the emulators/media/roms as shown in the first pic. However when I downloaded artwork from the downloader, the artwork goes into the file location but won't show up. I made sure the rom and artwork are named exactly the same, but the boxart and screenshots won't show up. The preview movies do though however.....

Wondering if there is something else I'm missing that I need to do in order for it to display artwork.

0912221316.jpg

0912221317.jpg

0912221318.jpg

I should have everything needed, at least that what I see on my end. For example I downloaded the artwork for the 32X from the downloader and all the artwork shows up when I look at them in the file manager and the box art, logos, screenshots, etc are where they should be. Now when I press the white button to change artwork type the only thing that shows up are logos and mix. All other options don't display anything.

Hey Rocky5,

I went into the xbmc.log file and it kicked this out:

21:56:38 M: 35639296   ERROR: PICTURE: Error loading image F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\sega32x\boxarttempo.jpg
21:56:39 M: 36179968   ERROR: Keymapping error: no such action '-' defined

Shouldn't it be this?

F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\sega32x\boxart\tempo.jpg

Is there maybe a script file that needs tweaked to include the correct folder path?

I'm also seeing this as well, anything I need to do?

22:05:46 M: 37355520   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting Q:\system\plugins\programs
22:05:46 M: 37355520   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/system/plugins/programs
22:05:46 M: 37355520   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting Q:\system\plugins\programs
22:05:46 M: 37355520   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/system/plugins/programs

......Now noticed the Atari 7800 is doing it too
22:14:02 M: 35811328   ERROR: PICTURE: Error loading image F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\atari7800\boxaace of aces.jpg

Edited by willis

18 hours ago, willis said:

Hey Rocky5,

I went into the xbmc.log file and it kicked this out:

21:56:38 M: 35639296   ERROR: PICTURE: Error loading image F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\sega32x\boxarttempo.jpg
21:56:39 M: 36179968   ERROR: Keymapping error: no such action '-' defined

Shouldn't it be this?

F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\sega32x\boxart\tempo.jpg

Is there maybe a script file that needs tweaked to include the correct folder path?

I'm also seeing this as well, anything I need to do?

......Now noticed the Atari 7800 is doing it too
22:14:02 M: 35811328   ERROR: PICTURE: Error loading image F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\atari7800\boxaace of aces.jpg

There is your issue. The path is wrong for the artwork. 

what I normally do is have a folder on F called XBMC-Emu Files and inside I have emulators, media and roms folders. Inside those are all the system folders “nes, snes etc…”

So fix up your folders to match above and change the custom paths to above then rescan in your systems. (Auto scan) that should fix your issue. 

artwork paths are dynamically loaded based on where your custom paths point to. So something is wrong there, if doing the above doesn’t fix this issue, then we will need to do some more digging. Maybe do a fresh install. 

Edited by Rocky5
  • Thanks 1

The paths should be good as seen by the pic above. When I used the downloader, it placed all the media in the proper folders as well.

I have other artwork working just fine - snes, nes but not the 32x or atari 7800

from the log for some reason it looks like its running things together -> boxarttempo.jpg rather than boxart\tempo.jpg

the art is in there and the custom path is pointing to them. I'm curious because some work and some don't

Also wondering what is going on with these as well.

ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting Q:\system\plugins\programs
ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/system/plugins/programs
ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting Q:\system\plugins\programs
ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/system/plugins/programs

I may just have to do a fresh install and start over

Here are pics of the structure of the media and inside the boxart.

screenshot.png

screenshot1.png

Also does this have anything I need to be concerned about?

23:37:03 M: 30748672   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting Q:\system\plugins\programs
23:37:03 M: 30752768   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/system/plugins/programs
23:37:03 M: 30781440   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting Q:\system\plugins\programs
23:37:03 M: 30781440   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/system/plugins/programs

Edited by willis

8 hours ago, willis said:

Here are pics of the structure of the media and inside the boxart.

screenshot.png

screenshot1.png

Also does this have anything I need to be concerned about?

23:37:03 M: 30748672   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting Q:\system\plugins\programs
23:37:03 M: 30752768   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/system/plugins/programs
23:37:03 M: 30781440   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting Q:\system\plugins\programs
23:37:03 M: 30781440   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting special://home/system/plugins/programs

All looks ok 🤔

as for those other errors no, they don’t matter. Just make the folder and they will vanish. If I remember I will fix that in the xbe. 

• Thanks 1

I've noticed that the sega 32x, atari 7800, genesis, colecovision, gamegear all have weird paths when reading in the log. Why would it be doing that? The paths are clearly there, but why would emustation do that while other systems are fine.

23:28:28 M: 27201536   ERROR: PICTURE: Error loading image F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\genesis\boxartbattletoads-double dragon.jpg

23:40:29 M: 34852864   ERROR: PICTURE: Error loading image F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\colecovision\bmotocross racer.jpg

23:53:25 M: 35082240   ERROR: PICTURE: Error loading image F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\gamegear\boxarbattletoads.jpg

Something is definitely strange because I named a rom wrong on purpose and it clearly shows the entire folder path correctly leading up to the boxart for the gameboy.

23:54:34 M: 35078144   ERROR: PICTURE: Error loading image F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\gb\boxart\metroid ii - return of samus (world).jpg

I have confirmed the Nes, Snes, turbografx16, gameboy are all working fine. While those listed above are all not.....

Are you sure the paths you set don't happen to have some special characters in them that are messing with the resultant path being used?

When you set the paths, did you happen to enter a couple of backspaces to fix a typo then enter the rest of the path?

Try resetting the paths by clearing the current entry then typing in the path or copy / paste it so you don't use any backspace characters when typing it in.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, willis said:

I've noticed that the sega 32x, atari 7800, genesis, colecovision, gamegear all have weird paths when reading in the log. Why would it be doing that? The paths are clearly there, but why would emustation do that while other systems are fine.

23:28:28 M: 27201536   ERROR: PICTURE: Error loading image F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\genesis\boxartbattletoads-double dragon.jpg

23:40:29 M: 34852864   ERROR: PICTURE: Error loading image F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\colecovision\bmotocross racer.jpg

23:53:25 M: 35082240   ERROR: PICTURE: Error loading image F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\gamegear\boxarbattletoads.jpg

Something is definitely strange because I named a rom wrong on purpose and it clearly shows the entire folder path correctly leading up to the boxart for the gameboy.

23:54:34 M: 35078144   ERROR: PICTURE: Error loading image F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\media\gb\boxart\metroid ii - return of samus (world).jpg

I have confirmed the Nes, Snes, turbografx16, gameboy are all working fine. While those listed above are all not.....

Which display resolution are you using?  If 1080i, disable it.  Use 720p.

How much free memory does XBMC-Emustation have available?

6 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Are you sure the paths you set don't happen to have some special characters in them that are messing with the resultant path being used?

When you set the paths, did you happen to enter a couple of backspaces to fix a typo then enter the rest of the path?

Try resetting the paths by clearing the current entry then typing in the path or copy / paste it so you don't use any backspace characters when typing it in.

Is there a way to set or check individual paths? I thought you just set the main path through the settings to point to media.

Its strange because the ones that don't work are the boxart, however the screenshots do show up when I check the "use fan art" option. Also the movie files work, just not the boxart

Move the three folders that are inside the Emustation folder too.

F:\XBMC-Emu Files\

(media, roms and emulators folders in there)

now set the paths again to point to each folder and check if it’s fixed. (You don’t need to rescan)

I have never seen or had this issue 🙈 but try above. 

• Thanks 1

Rocky5!

Just switching those folders to a new directory F:\XBMC-Emu Files\ worked! Not sure what was oging on in the first place, but that seems to have cleared it up as all artwork is now showing. I wish there was a valid explanation as to what was causing the issue in the first place so we could have peace of mind and understand what to do if it pops up again or with someone else.

I greatly appreciate the help from everyone here, thank you!

• Like 1