OGXbox.com

Install ssd to softmodded xbox

Igenius

2 hours ago, Igenius said:

Do I need a 2.5 to 3.5 inch bay?

You don't have to have one but it does keep the SSD drive from sliding around inside the HDD carrier while you are moving the console and possibly disconnecting the IDE-to-SATA adapter.

Amazon.com: DSLRKIT 2.5" SSD to 3.5" SATA Hard Disk Drive HDD Adapter Caddy

You don't really need one that sophisticated - a simple 2.5" HDD to 3.5" drive bay adapter caddy is all that is required.

I use an Akasa two stack in one Xbox box but also have SSDs mounted in 3.5" PC bays with even cheaper types like this:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIXES-Black-Metal-Internal-Mounting/dp/B00HFSMHDI/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=2.5"+caddy+internal&qid=1662726970&sr=8-12

NB. If you're going from the original IDE HDD to a SATA device of any sort you'll need an adapter of course. Its physical dimensions might affect your choice of caddy because the Xbox HDD caddy is not like a PC drive bay. It is essentially a flat tray and there is not enough height to fit some IDE > SATA adapters.

With the Akasa caddy you can just use the top mount position. With the PC mentioned I used PC case motherboard hex standoffs to raise the SDD for cooling reasons but some solution like that may well be needed with a single position caddy like the other one if used in a Xbox.