OGXbox.com

getting XBMC fatal error / how to boot back to dash

willis

I went and tried to move files around so I could be xbmc emustation on drive E as I had it on F. Now when I boot up the xbox I get a fatal error message

"special://masterprofile/guisettings.xml, Line 0 failed to open file"

Now am I completely ruined or can I just somehow boot back to a dashboard and reinstall xbmc emustation?

Was/is XBMC Emustation your primary dashboard?

Do you have FTP access or can you cold boot an installer/rescue disc.

Rocky5's dashboards etc, like XBMC Emustation, may have some sort of backdoor recovery options. Whether that is correct and applicable in this case I do not know. You'll need advice from somebody who knows XBMC Emustation. 

Are you using Rocky5's softmod? That's important because it is automatically set up to launch XBMC Emustation from C:\, E:\ or F:\. If another softmod was used it is likely the thing was being launched from a shortcut.xbe inside the XBMC folder. If that is pointing at F:\XBMC\default.xbe and the XBMC folder is now on E:\ that would explain the problem.  

It depends on what files you actually moved but I'm thinking that the error message is not indicating just a problem with the guisettings.xml which could be bypassed by tools built into XBMC and its variants. Its basically telling you the installation is messed up.

It is probably going to be quite simple to fix with FTP/disc based file manager because, sweetdarkdestiny has also just posted, all that likely needs be done is to replace everything you moved from F:\ to E:\. You can then get advice on how to move it to E:\ safely if you're still wanting to do that for some reason. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Do you have FTP access or can you cold boot an installer/rescue disc.

Yep and that worked thankfully! Now I'm back up and running, but just need to move some Emustation files off of F and onto E

Thank for you help everyone.

15 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Yes it was so i couldn't boot to anything because of the error

15 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Are you using Rocky5's softmod? That's important because it is automatically set up to launch XBMC Emustation from C:\, E:\ or F:\. If another softmod was used it is likely the thing was being launched from a shortcut.xbe inside the XBMC folder. If that is pointing at F:\XBMC\default.xbe and the XBMC folder is now on E:\ that would explain the problem.  

When I installed XBMC Emustation it put in on F:\ and I want to move it to E:\ because based on another post by Rocky5 he stated it's best to run Emustation from E:\ and have the emulators, media and roms folder on something like F:\ as to not slow down seek times when accessing games.

So now that it has been installed on F:\ what is the easiest/painless way to shift Emustation to E:\ while leaving emulators/media/roms on F:\

• Like 1

That will depend on your softmod and exactly how it is launching XBMC Emustation.

Iif you're using a Rocky5 softmod he puts almost everything on C:\, protected by using a Virtual/Shadow C. So how and the path it uses to boot the main dash is very different from, for example, SID/AID. By default that installs (vanilla) XBMC on E:\ ie. in its own folder and boots the default.xbe in the XBMC folder  by using a shortcut XBE: E:\evoxdash.xbe.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, willis said:

Yeah, its a Rocky5 softmod

Could it be as easy as just using the tools disk and running the file manager? Just moving the things I need to E:\ and then restarting?

Yes, just move the XBMC-Emustation to the root of E from F and restart. 

if you ever get stuck, hold Start + Y on boot to enter a recovery menu that will give you FTP access.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I moved the folder that is XBMC - Emustation over to E:\

So it's on the root of E:\ ----> E:\XBMC-Emustation

inside that is the default.xbe and the system folder along with the emustation folder containing gamelists, scripts, synopsis, themes.

Over on F:\ is the ----> F:\XBMC-Emustation\emustation that holds the emulators, media, roms

Take a look in the dashloader log file to see why it skipped running E:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe.

IIRC, it is in the C:\dashloader subfolder.

Edit: I did NOT remember correctly.  For the Xbox Softmodding Tool, it's in a different location than the hardmod version of the dashloader:

• /E/UDATA/21585554/000000000000/nkpatcher settings/dashloader/Dashloader.log

This is what the Dashloader.log says

Dashloader Build 1.3

------------------------------------------------
Prep Dashboard
Loading Prep Dashboard - E:\Prep\Default.xbe
Dashboard doesn't Exist

Softmod Quick Update/Upgrade Dashboard
Loading Quick Update Dashboard - E:\Quick Update\Default.xbe
Loading Quick Upgrade Dashboard - E:\Quick Upgrade\Default.xbe
Dashboards don't Exist

ShadowC Partition Integrity Check
Checking ShadowC image integrity
ShadowC image is loaded

Dashboard Locations
Loading C:\XBMC-Emustation\Default.xbe
Dashboard doesn't Exist

Loading E:\XBMC-Emustation\Default.xbe
Dashboard doesn't Exist

Loading F:\XBMC-Emustation\Default.xbe
Dashboard doesn't Exist

Loading C:\XBMC4Gamers\Default.xbe
Dashboard doesn't Exist

Loading E:\XBMC4Gamers\Default.xbe
Dashboard doesn't Exist

Loading F:\XBMC4Gamers\Default.xbe
Dashboard doesn't Exist

Loading C:\XBMC4Xbox\Default.xbe
Dashboard doesn't Exist

Loading E:\XBMC4Xbox\Default.xbe
Dashboard doesn't Exist

Loading F:\XBMC4Xbox\Default.xbe
Dashboard doesn't Exist

Loading C:\XBMC\Default.xbe
Dashboard doesn't Exist

Loading E:\XBMC\Default.xbe
Dashboard doesn't Exist

Loading F:\XBMC\Default.xbe
Dashboard doesn't Exist

Loading C:\Dashboard\Default.xbe

I'd be looking at the actual folder path and file names in a file explorer too. In particular, especially if you've renamed anything yourself, check for accidental spaces that have been added between or after characters/names.

I noticed that in your earlier post here (although probably just a typo) you typed "XBMC - Emustation" rather than "XBMC-Emustation". It could be something like that.

Other thing is: where exactly is the "default.xbe"?

I ask because I have an uninstalled zip of XBMC Emustation and when unpacked on PC it is set up like this: XBMC-Emustation (folder) and inside that > .emustation (folder), system (folder), default.xbe (file), splash (logo image file). I would assume that is how it installs. If your installation does not match then that could be the problem. 

9 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

And, you are sure that this file exists?  

Xbox filenames are NOT case sensitive.:  Default.xbe, default.xbe, DeFauLT.Xbe, etc. can all be used to access the same file.

Yeah, the file does exist because I go into the file manager and launch XBMC Emustation from there. I'm checking into what HDShadow mentioned next to see if that gets it going.

4 hours ago, HDShadow said:

I noticed that in your earlier post here (although probably just a typo) you typed "XBMC - Emustation" rather than "XBMC-Emustation". It could be something like that.

You know what, that is all that it was ha! I went in and removed the spaces and it works fine now. I'm not even sure how those got in there to begin with as I don't remember renaming it at all.

Thanks for all the help!!

• Haha 1

So this kind of brings me into a new set of questions. Maybe I could move this part to another thread, but what is the difference between the file/drive layout when I view it through the dashboard file manager and the file manager through XBMC Emustation?

Regular first, then XBMC Emustation

I ask because through xbmc emustation there is a 'Q' and 'S' drive

dashboard1.jpg

dashboard2.jpg

Q and S are two virtual/mapped drives that XBMC-Emustation created.  

For all XBMC-based apps, XBMC,XBMC4Xbox,XBMC4Gamers or XBMC-Emustation, Q is mapped to the folder where its default.xbe is executed from.

For XBMC-Emustation, the S drive is mapped to ... hmm, I don't have XBMC-Emustation installed to see which folder it gets mapped to.

While XBMC-Emustation is running, FTP to the console and download the file Q:\system\xbmc.log.  Open it on your PC in a text editor and look for the mapping entry in the log file.  I suspect it is mapped to the scripts folder.

Edit: Found a backup I'd made of one of my Xbox's.  It's not the scripts folder but from the log file's entry:

•   Mapping drive S to Harddisk0\Partition6\Apps\XBMC-Emustation\emustation\themes\

its themes folder.

• Thanks 1