OGXbox.com

My Xbox (1.0) destroying my wall socket

Aublak

I'm new to Xbox modding. And I've been hard modding my Xbox. I have a 1.0 Xbox with a Duo X2 installed. I planned on doing a lot of modding to it eventually.

Anyways, I was fooling around with my Xbox trying to get UnleashX installed on a 512gb SSD. As I was pulling the SSD from its sata adapter I suddenly heard a pop sound coming from the wall. No more power was coming from that socket, as well as another socket not too far away. The unit was turned off but still plugged into a power strip when it happened. Maybe I touched something that I shouldn't have on the PSU. Or the PSU is bad. I really don't know. The PSU looks fine on inspection.

I wasn't using the Xbox surge protector unfortunately. Just a simply two prong power cable.

What I really want to know is, "What did I do wrong?"

Is the Xbox still alright? Do I just have to scrap the PSU? What can I do to not let this happen again?

The original Xbox power supplies have a problem with not having enough reinforcement of the AC power plug to prevent it from breaking the solder joints on the bottom side of the PSUs printed circuit board.  With AC power disconnected, remove the PSU from the case and look at the AC power connector solder joints.  Are they cracked or charred from sparking occurring at the solder joints?

Here's an example of a very charred solder joint on a FoxLink PSU:

spacer.png

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/b5lmun/foxlink_psu_socket_repair/

Read the post for more pictures and how to repair it.

Your Xbox's AC socket may be different than this one.  There's even a more problematic design than the one pictured above see it in the video linked below.

This design problem is the reason Microsot sent out free replacement safety power cords to cut power if the connection sparked.  Sounds like it sparked on you when moving the console and threw a circuit breaker or blew a fuse in your home's AC power distribution panel.  They put a band-aid on it but that does not fix the real problem.

yeah, that must be it. I actually remember watching an Xbox repair video at some point and them mentioning that was an issue with some of the earlier models. I totally forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.

Also the wall sockets are fine, just had to flip the breakers back.

Agh! Now the Xbox won't start!

I took the machine apart. Pulled out the PSU and started giving it some love by reinforcing the joints in the video shown by KaosEngineer.

I took this as an opportunity to finally desolder the clock capacitor I've been meaning to get rid of. I also reinforced an SMD nearby (C7G8) because it looked kind of rough, likely corrosion. I also removed the heatsinks to reapply thermal paste.

I fit everything back in and try to start it. The fans spin twice briefly before spinning continuously on the third try. There's power running through it, but no output.

Now what's the problem? PSU or the mobo?

IMG_20220830_212428.jpg

10 hours ago, Aublak said:

Shoe goo? I'm not sure I understand.

it's an adhesive for repairing soles in shoes, the stuff is sold under different names too, it cures into a tough epoxy-like hardness, I only recommend it because it also has a tiny degree of flexibility, so unlike epoxy there's no chance of it breaking off from the thing it's applied to if it ever comes under extraordinary strain

I guess you could use other things to keep the PSU connector in place though

IMG_9022.JPG

btw sorry if I wasn't being clear so far (too much coffee),  my point was that you can prevent the connector from wiggling around on those older model PSUs and causing problems if you fill the back of it with epoxy or some other strong adhesive

okay I'm done

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

What color is the eject ring?  Is it flashing between two colors or one solid color?

flashing between green and orange

47 minutes ago, fox said:

btw sorry if I wasn't being clear so far (too much coffee),  my point was that you can prevent the connector from wiggling around on those older model PSUs and causing problems if you fill the back of it with epoxy or some other strong adhesive

okay I'm done

okay, I see

Looked it up how it works, the hdmi mod gives more insight.

https://github.com/MakeMHz/xbox-hd-plus/blob/master/manual/Installation Manual (XboxHDMI 1.0 - 1.5).md?ref=w9_zngec1o_ 

step 5 describes it. basically it shorts 11-12 and 13-14 pins of the av connector. I assume that on the cable side this is done inside the connector.

Check if your cable is properly connected, might need to be pushed in slightly further. Check both sides of the AV cable and connector. If you don’t have a spare cable you could try to short these points yourself with a simple wire 

7 hours ago, Aublak said:

flashing between green and orange

An Xbox AV cable is not being detected by the System Management Controller (SMC). 

Is an AV cable connected to the AVIP connector on the back of the Xboxe?

Edit: I see you answered later in the thread that one is.

Make sure the contacts inside both the Xbox's AVIP connector and the AV cable end are not corroded or caked with gunk preventing an electrical connection.

If so, clean the contacts.

The situation has now changed.

I tried testing it again.

Now I get...

flashing green lights... system stops.... flashing green lights... system stops.... altering green and red lights... system continues

No video output of course

The MCPX X3 chip gets so hot its impossible to touch. Damn.