OGXbox.com

Recapping 1.2 motherboard

Johny white

Well they are Nichicon HM series 3300 microFarad 6.3 Vdc max operating voltage 105°C max operating temp, Ultra-low ESR aluminum electrolytic capacitors.  However, Nichicon no longer produces them.  There are many companies that make similar capacitor that are close to all of the other particular specifications of the original caps.  Even Nichicon doesn't make a cap that that meets the original capacitors specifications.

Since those 3 look like they do, there are 2 more of the same value capacitor by the PSU connector that also need to be replaced. 

Suggested replacements inlcude 3300 uF 6.3Vdc low-ESR caps by Panasonic or Rubycon:

I don't recall how high/tall the current capacitors are.  I thought they were 20mm; however, both of the suggested replacements are 25mm which may be too tall.   But, I may be remembering that dimension wrong since Nichicon did make 3 different HM series 3300uF caps.  Each with slightly different dimensions (3rd column- diameter x height):

534157909_NichiconHMSeries3300uF6.3VdcUltra-lowESPCapacitors.png.e50b7168b763422ed01d194084b13359.png

The 4th column is the ESR rating in milliOhms max at 20°C / 100kHz and the last column the max ripple current rating in milliAmps RMS at 105°C / 100 kHz.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

Well they are Nichicon HM series 3300 microFarad 6.3 Vdc max operating voltage 105°C max operating temp, Ultra-low ESR aluminum electrolytic capacitors.  However, Nichicon no longer produces them.  There are many companies that make similar capacitor that are close to all of the other particular specifications of the original caps.  Even Nichicon doesn't make a cap that that meets the original capacitors specifications.

Since those 3 look like they do, there are 2 more of the same value capacitor by the PSU connector that also need to be replaced. 

Suggested replacements inlcude 3300 uF 6.3Vdc low-ESR caps by Panasonic or Rubycon:

I don't recall how high/tall the current capacitors are.  I thought they were 20mm; however, both of the suggested replacements are 25mm which may be too tall.   But, I may be remembering that dimension wrong since Nichicon did make 3 different HM series 3300uF caps.  Each with slightly different dimensions (3rd column- diameter x height):

534157909_NichiconHMSeries3300uF6.3VdcUltra-lowESPCapacitors.png.e50b7168b763422ed01d194084b13359.png

The 4th column is the ESR rating in milliOhms max at 20°C / 100kHz and the last column the max ripple current rating in milliAmps RMS at 105°C / 100 kHz.

Thanks for that, can you reference with a picture of the other 2 caps by the PSU that need replacing? The board I got has only 1 capacitor next to the power connector, this one is 10v 3300uf. There's another space for another capactior next to it but this is blank (nothing was fitted).

Edited by Johny white

1 hour ago, Johny white said:

Thanks for that, can you reference with a picture of the other 2 caps by the PSU that need replacing? The board I got has only 1 capacitor next to the power connector, this one is 10v 3300uf. There's another space for another capactior next to it but this is blank (nothing was fitted).

Sorry, my mistake saying there are two capacitors by the PSU connector to replace too. Those are on v1.0, v1.1 and v1.6 motherboards, not v1.2, v1.3 or v1.4s.

See console5.com's wiki listing electrolytic caps by location and value on the motherboard versions:

Microsoft Xbox - TechWiki (console5.com)

The 1.3 list is for v1.2 and v1.3 Xbox motherboards..

Edit: They also sell recapping kits for the Xbox motherboards and PSUs.

Microsoft Xbox Original Cap Kit - v1.0 through v1.6 - OG Xbox (console5.com)

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2022 at 3:43 PM, KaosEngineer said:

I can definitely vouch for the Panasonic FR caps, they work well. one thing to note is the lead spacing on them is short, so they'll stand up taller when you put them in the holes due to the 1cm or so of exposed leads. Wouldn't cause an issue i'm sure, as i've been using them. But it's something to note. 

Edit: this was the case at least with the ones i bought on DigiKey. Actually now that i looked, i bought FR-A caps. still works fine. 

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/panasonic-electronic-components/EEU-FR0J152LB/2504173

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/panasonic-electronic-components/EEU-FS0J332/7381215

• Like 1