OGXbox.com

OGX360i-4CH :)

dtomcat

6 hours ago, booyabeetz said:

I don't understand.  The clamshell adapter is too large? In what way?

Spacing inside to too large and pins on chip too short so one side can make contact… other side falls through 🤦🏼‍♂️

pins spacing is just over 12 mm (barely) and tip to tip pin spacing on atmega is 12mmx12mm. 

3 hours ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Spacing inside to too large and pins on chip too short so one side can make contact… other side falls through 🤦🏼‍♂️

pins spacing is just over 12 mm (barely) and tip to tip pin spacing on atmega is 12mmx12mm. 

That's weird.  This is the one I bought and the pins appear to align properly: https://www.ebay.com/itm/383556932163

I looked for the test socket based on the package type for the ATMEGA32U4 which appears to be 44TQFP...

the OGX360i's are DONE!!!!  (most likely never again!).  going to take a break and will try to get all the documentation up on my git next week.  A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into this!  But, I got lots of information out of it and after I post, many more should be able to make these a lot easier than with the current information posted online.  I'll post an update when it's online.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

the OGX360i's are DONE!!!!  (most likely never again!).  going to take a break and will try to get all the documentation up on my git next week.  A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into this!  But, I got lots of information out of it and after I post, many more should be able to make these a lot easier than with the current information posted online.  I'll post an update when it's online.  

fantastic.  I will probably make another attempt this week with the test socket I have.  I have a zip lock bag full of parts ready to go for a ogx360i-2CH.  I am sure your findings will help a lot when I start putting that together.

12 hours ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Looking forward to it! Thanks for your hard work, it looks amazing!

I took another crack at setting up the clamshell socket for burning the bootloader and thankfully this time it works.  Like suspected my wiring was way off because I relied on the pin markings on the clamshell for how I should land my wires.  Next step for me will be to start soldering the smd components for the 2CH.

In the meantime it dawned on me that I don't understand how the 4CH gets the ogx firmware uploaded to each chip.  The 2CH has the 2 micro usb ports so I imagine the process is similar to how the regular ogx360 gets programmed.  The 4CH however has no micro usb ports from what I can tell.  In that case how does each chip get the ogx programming?

I think I figured out how to make the JST jumper cable. It was not anything special like I had previously imagined.  Right now with the 2CH hooked up to the console I am able to get it working in bypass (i.e. flipping the micro switch to allow wired controllers to communicate to the console).  In this mode the wired controllers (as connected directly to the console) work as expected.  Beyond that however I am not getting much luck in getting the wireless mode to work.  I am testing with a known working 360 wireless receiver however the green "enabled" LED on the mini board with the microswitch does not turn on regardless of what I do.  The wireless controllers are pairing properly to the wireless receiver however manipulating the buttons on the controller has no affect on the console (this is with the microswitch set to either position).  

To troubleshoot further I flashed Ryzee's debug firmware to the master Atmega32u4 and all the tests passed.  This also confirms that the 2CH board can see and communicate properly with the wireless receiver.

So at this point I am stuck and unsure of what to do...

EDIT: I also have a 6 pin JST cable port on the 2CH that is not connected to anything.  I have not yet figured out what this is for. 

Edited by booyabeetz
Added mention of 6 pin JST port

1 hour ago, Dtomcat18 said:

I have added my first findings for the ogx360i-4ch onto my GitHub. It’s not much yet… but is critical for making your own kit!

Wiring pinout

there will be more to follow 

Excellent!  Great Work!  In the meantime I had a look at the schematic for the 2CH and realized that I probably soldered the LED on the mini-board in the wrong orientation.  Having flipped it around now gives the me the expected green light when the enable switch is flipped.  Apparently I don't have enough experience to figure out which way a diode needs to point unless its explicitly spelled out on the pcb itself lol.  I'll reconnect this back into the console in the morning to see if everything will work.  Per the schematic it also appears that the extra 6 pin JST cable port is intended "to be used for future expansion board".  I am not that good at reading schematics but I think it might be a method to daisy chain two of the 2CH units.

image.thumb.png.233eadb95f46974f8d47efb9c2683273.png 

So the 2CH appears to be working great after I reversed the position for the LED on the mini board.  I also mistakenly had the 12 pin JST cables reversed (from controller ports to ogx and ogx to xbox).  Apparently wired controllers will still function as expected in bypass mode even with these cables reversed, however the wireless controllers will not work.  In any case this means I can move on to the next project.  The 4CH is on my todo list.  I have the PCBs ready but I likely need to stock up on more components.  I definitely cooked one or two ATMEGA32U4's from when I tried to burn the boot loader's with my bad breadboard setup...