OGXbox.com

Original Xbox v1.0 w/ Aladdin XT Error Code 07

SeanCasey96

Thank you everyone in advance for all the help.

I was given an Xbox and it doens't work, showed error code 07, I assumed dead hard drive so I wanted to do a hard mod.

I have an early revision Xbox, just installed the Aladdin XT hard mod with EvoX BIOS, the install was a success and I get the logo in the top left on boot, followed by an error code 07. I have tried a few different things as I know that is the result of a hard drive time out. I've tried multiple IDE hard drives, known good IDE cable, known good DVD drive, I've unplugged the hard drive data cable and it still shows error code 07. I have a Hexen 2020 disc at the ready burned using Windows built in tool. 

I have ordered a few things; IDE to SATA converter to test with a known good SATA drive, and 80 wire IDE cable. Please let me know what I should try next. I am starting to believe the hard drive is actually fine, because when I unplugged the data cable it did not switch to an error code 8.

Thank you!

Just now, bolofski said:

can you hear the hard drive(s) spin up? check drive jumper settings, check that the molex plug from the xbox psu is actually giving correct power to the hard drive, check the ide connector on the main board for dry joints maybe?

Thanks for the reply! I can hear both the disc drive and hard drive activate, typical dvd drive read noises alongside with brief hard drive sounds but then stops. Jumper settings are always set to cable select. How can I check correct power from molex? Just use a multimeter with the Xbox on? What do dry joints look like on the main board for the IDE connector?

31 minutes ago, bolofski said:

can you hear the hard drive(s) spin up? check drive jumper settings, check that the molex plug from the xbox psu is actually giving correct power to the hard drive, check the ide connector on the main board for dry joints maybe?

The IDE connector on the mainboard looks fine. Checked voltages on Molex, getting a healthy 5V and 11.86V, so the drive is getting proper power.

Check the DVD tray power connector.i had the same issue on my 1.2 and it was very slightly loose and would spin up but wouldn't send data over the ide.if you unplug your hdd and still get this error...its the drive.

"because when I unplugged the data cable it did not switch to an error code 8." 

Sorry disregard you have tried this sorry missed this statement.

Can you boot the hexen disk from coldboot?

Edited by Nf Given XD

1 hour ago, Nf Given XD said:

Check the DVD tray power connector.i had the same issue on my 1.2 and it was very slightly loose and would spin up but wouldn't send data over the ide.if you unplug your hdd and still get this error...its the drive.

"because when I unplugged the data cable it did not switch to an error code 8." 

Sorry disregard you have tried this sorry missed this statement.

Can you boot the hexen disk from coldboot?

Thanks for your reply. I actually noticed the DVD drive power cable was a bit loose on the board so I pushed it back in, but no change. Still error code 7. Interestingly, I have another Xbox with a known good DVD drive that I swapped in, and it still returned an error code 7. I think it's safe to say it's either the motherboard or the power cable itself for the DVD drive. 

I bought an IDE to SATA and it arrived, so I'm going to swap in a known good SATA drive and that should completely rule out hard drive issues.

When I cold boot with the Hexen disc in the drive, it does not boot to disc, goes to error code 7. It sounds like it tries to read the disc but doesn't sound like typical drives, kind of spins up, spins down, spins up, spins down.

40 minutes ago, SeanCasey96 said:

Still error code 7. Interestingly,

Error code 7 indicates an HDD timeout.  The hard drive is not accessible for some reason.  Either it is dead or a bad DVD drive is preventing access to it.  Swap DVD drives with another Xbox and see if the error changes. If not, most likely a dead hard drive.

Try to boot without the dvd drive. Disconnect it from IDE and the Yellow cable. If you still get the error, leav it disconnectet and try the old 40 wire cable (which can work without the DVD drive). Had some trouble my self that the 80 causes problems and lead to an error 16.

One thing more oyu could try is to set up your HDD again with FatXplorer and using different files. You could simply use the ones from the hexen dvd (Use DVDMulleter to unpack Hexen).

And one thing more, that noDVD bios from TruHeXEn 2020 is faulty (DVD cold boot bug). So when you get your xbox up and running, you should consider to reflash your TSOP using a different bios.

2 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Try to boot without the dvd drive. Disconnect it from IDE and the Yellow cable. If you still get the error, leav it disconnectet and try the old 40 wire cable (which can work without the DVD drive). Had some trouble my self that the 80 causes problems and lead to an error 16.

One thing more oyu could try is to set up your HDD again with FatXplorer and using different files. You could simply use the ones from the hexen dvd (Use DVDMulleter to unpack Hexen).

And one thing more, that noDVD bios from TruHeXEn 2020 is faulty (DVD cold boot bug). So when you get your xbox up and running, you should consider to reflash your TSOP using a different bios.

So I've given up trying to save the error code 7 Xbox. Nothing seemed to be working. So I transferred over the modchip to my working Xbox, and currently booting from Hexen 2020, and formatting a new IDE hard drive I put in. 

Could you please elaborate on the cold boot bug? What is this and what causes this? How do I go about flashing the TSOP with a different BIOS? I thought the idea if the modchip was that it replaces the factory BIOS. PLEASE excuse my ignorance, I am extremely new to Xbox modding.

9 minutes ago, SeanCasey96 said:

Could you please elaborate on the cold boot bug?

IIRC, the problem is the BIOSes on the Hexen 2020 disc removed the default file to run off the DVD.   So it will not boot a disc loaded into the DVD tray.  But, I may be wrong.

The Boot Partitions and Executables' DVD field is empty instead of being set to default.xbe as seen below:

1178022859_EvoxM8plus_16EVToolSettingsChangesfromdistroversion.PNG.339e7ebe66b5dd06b810e49de3753952.PNG

• Like 1

Maybe I missed it but as I've read it no dashboard has yet been installed so you're going to get some sort of error at boot although I expect error 13 or 14.

Sometimes I've had to cold boot the installer disc to get it to run when I've replaced the HDD on a chipped machine with a completely empty, new one.

I'd try that if not already done.

It is my understanding from the info provided that the OP has not been able to use HeXEn 2020 ("I have a Hexen 2020 disc at the ready burned using Windows built in tool." ) so the BIOS is not a HeXEn flashed one. It surely can't be anything other than the original 'Aladdin' one.

An installer disc (DVD-R/ImgBurn default settings) or any original Xbox game disc should cold boot on a chipped Xbox. If either doesn't it is most likely there's some other hardware problem involved.

2 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Maybe I missed it but as I've read it no dashboard has yet been installed so you're going to get some sort of error at boot although I expect error 13 or 14.

Sometimes I've had to cold boot the installer disc to get it to run when I've replaced the HDD on a chipped machine with a completely empty, new one.

I'd try that if not already done.

It is my understanding from the info provided that the OP has not been able to use HeXEn 2020 ("I have a Hexen 2020 disc at the ready burned using Windows built in tool." ) so the BIOS is not a HeXEn flashed one. It surely can't be anything other than the original 'Aladdin' one.

An installer disc (DVD-R/ImgBurn default settings) or any original Xbox game disc should cold boot on a chipped Xbox. If either doesn't it is most likely there's some other hardware problem involved.

Thank you so much for everyone's replies, very thorough answers and knowledgeable members, I do believe there is a hardware problem with the motherboard. I literally confirmed all components except for the motherboard are working normally. I will keep that console around for parts, since the power supply, hard drive, DVD drive and shell are in good condition.

I've moved on and switched the mod chip over to my working Xbox and everything is working very well. I installed the dashboard I believe through the Hexen 2020 disc and it is booting into UnleashX. I installed a working 120GB IDE drive and formatted. 

I am struggling a little bit with running ISO files off of the hard drive after FTPing them over. Any advice here? I heard you can extract them, but I'd rather leave the ISOs intact. 

Edited by SeanCasey96

@SeanCasey96 you need to convert them into xiso’s first. Assuming you got them from the internet archive, then you likely have normal iso files. You can extract the data with dvdmueller, you could copy this data directly to your xbox. Or convert it to xiso using qwix.

Not sure what’s needed to run xiso’s directly on your xbox, they have a drawback that they have to be mounted everytime you want to play a game adding a lot of loadtime. It is only beneficial with games that have too long filenames, which is only a handful of games