OGXbox.com

Xbox wont play burned DVDs

2smoker

Hi guys, just installed an Aladdin XT Plus 2 mod chip on my Xbox to fix an error 16 code.

Now it plays Xbox game disks fine so I assume I could go the splinter cell route to get my dash back, however I would much prefer to burn a disk and run hexen/ slayer whatever to fix this.

I remember on softmod it did have trouble booting from ISO burned disks but I did have it work a few times.

So far tried just about everything, 4x speed, multiple different DVD burners, different types of DVDs, just cant get it to work.

probably gone through about 20 disks trying everything, 99% sure I am burning them correctly (just tried this: https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3041-iso-burned-discs-wont-work-on-modded-xbox/&do=findComment&comment=19438 ), unfortunately no luck.

I believe I have a 1.4 Xbox with a Phillips drive.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

I think we just about covered everything in that other thread but the fact your Philips DVD drive was already unreliable with burned discs does not auger well.

As said in that thread DVD-R (almost any brand seems to work) + ImgBurn "Write Image file to disc" ^ option should produce bootable discs from an installer XISO file or a XISO created from installer files using Qwix or the C Xbox Tool.

I've used multiple burning programs apart from ImgBurn like BurnAware, DiscJuggler, CDBurnerXP, InfraRecorder all successfully so that is unlikely to be the cause of the problem.

The only thing that you don't mention is the DVD-RW disc burning device: twice I've come across similar problems where replacing the PC's DVD-RW drive solved it.

DVD-RWs age like anything else and the lasers can weaken not producing good burns, at least not good enough for Xbox use.

My favourite internal burners are the Samsung SH-SS2* range but they're not manufactured any more. I've used Asus and Liteon (iHAS124) ones for burning Xbox discs, in fact it is my standard test for any DVD-RW I've bought to burn a bootable AID v4.53 disc. The Asus ones are significantly noisy and feel/sound far less well made than the Samsungs but they passed the test OK on two PCs.

Samsungs are still available used too and often very cheap but even if treated well, the laser could still be past its best. You're always taking a risk with secondhand PC equipment in my experience.

Edited by HDShadow
  • Like 1