OGXbox.com

1.4 no power

Smuddge

Was given a few broken xboxes.

The one im having trouble with is a 1.4.

No power at all.

History: was told they replaced the power supply on this one and "something blew up". I see absolutely no signs of anything blowing up.  

What i have tried: another known working power supply.  Another case (incase power button was problem).  Changed all the caps to new ones although they looked to be in like new shape.  Checked bottom for tracerot from clock cap (which was already removed).  Looked over whole board for any previous work (none everything is stock except clock cap was removed).

I don't want to give up on it.  It is the best looking one of the three I was given.  Just not sure what to check or change.  I haven't removed the heatsinks to check gpu and cpu.

Any input from anyone would be great.

I have a multimeter and can check things as suggested.

Thanks in advance.

It does have a 2x10 ATX-style power connector and a Focus video encoder?

Make sure the 3.3Vdc standby voltage level is present at the power supply connector on the motherboard when AC power is connected.  Measure by connecting the red (+) multimeter probe to the gray or purple wire location of the connector and the black (ground) probe to the metal RF shielding or one of the black wire locations of the connector.

psu12-15delta.gif.43d92f536a944a58f14211c096083e91.gifpsu12-15foxlink.gif.df0ccfff7798509cef4cf28a81299ee8.gif

oops not a 1.4  its 1.2 or 1.3  not sure which one.

it does not have focus video encoder.

it has 2 X 10 atx power connector.  it has a foxlink power supply in it.  however this may not be the original power supply.  they said one of them they ordered another power supply for it.  so I have no idea if this is the correct one for the xbox.  it has 0.0 standby voltage.

PXL_20220823_180132251[2].jpg

Use caution when measuring voltages on the Xbox's open-frame power supply.  Touching the exposed metal parts can lead to a shocking experience.

Disconnect AC power.  Remove the power supply from the case. Check the AC power connector solder joints.  Are they cracked and/or charred from sparking?

Take a picture of the connector's solder joints and post it in a reply.

If cracked, add additional solder to repair the joints.

Reconnect AC power. Switch the multimeter to measure Volts AC.  Make sure the AC input power is reaching the power supply and making it past the fuse. 

If not, test the fuse - disconnect AC power and measure the resistance across the two connections to the fuse.

What resistance value does the multimeter show?  

Edit: I swapped the order of the additional checks to perform and added the fuse continuity / resistance test.

I've had the pleasure of a shocking experience before.  touched a molex connector on a microwave while it was running and the metal part slid through the plastic on the connector.  my thumb luckily was touching metal also so the shock just blew my thumb open and shot me across the room.  no more microwave repair for me.

ac solder points look good to me. however there is no power going thru this power supply tested the 12v rail nothing tested the molex connector for the hard drive nothing.  fuse tested fine.  I took it for granted that when they said that the power supply was tested with a known working one it still didn't power on.  

as for testing this i have no idea where to start.  I have no spare power supplies except from v1.6 can that be used?

PXL_20220823_193443567.jpg

ya I didnt think so.  ok so how can I determine what component is bad on the power supply?  the other 2 I received have bigger problems.  one looks like someone tried to do the lpc rebuild, there is solder on the relevant pads. it turn on and off continually.  the other one has a bad hard drive can hear the drive heads.  i ordered a modchip for it.

2 hours ago, Smuddge said:

I've had the pleasure of a shocking experience before.  touched a molex connector on a microwave while it was running and the metal part slid through the plastic on the connector.  my thumb luckily was touching metal also so the shock just blew my thumb open and shot me across the room.  no more microwave repair for me.

ac solder points look good to me. however there is no power going thru this power supply tested the 12v rail nothing tested the molex connector for the hard drive nothing.  fuse tested fine.  I took it for granted that when they said that the power supply was tested with a known working one it still didn't power on.  

as for testing this i have no idea where to start.  I have no spare power supplies except from v1.6 can that be used?

PXL_20220823_193443567.jpg

Can you post a pic of the top ( component side ) of the PSU?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing