OGXbox.com

1.6 xbox vs hdd question..

Nf Given XD

With the BIOS currently on the modchip, you will only only be able to setup the hard drive with the following extended partition sizes:

F = ~123GBs and G the rest of the available space on a 1TB drive.  When formatted by UnleashX, it will not properly format the G  drive - extended partition 7.  It will have to be reformatted by XBPartitioner v1.3 to use 64KB instead of 16KB clusters.

If it was a 2TB hard drive, you will not be able to use all the free space since the maximum size a partition can be is 1TB using 64KB clusters. 

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

With the BIOS currently on the modchip, you will only only be able to setup the hard drive with the following extended partition sizes:

F = ~123GBs and G the rest of the available space on a 1TB drive.  When formatted by UnleashX, it will not properly format the G  drive - extended partition 7.  It will have to be reformatted by XBPartitioner v1.3 to use 64KB instead of 16KB clusters.

If it was a 2TB hard drive, you will not be able to use all the free space since the maximum size a partition can be is 1TB using 64KB clusters. 

Okay thank you so much @KaosEngineeras always a huge help and very informative XBPartitioner 64kb cluster for max space it is again thank you :)

7 minutes ago, Nf Given XD said:

Okay thank you so much @KaosEngineeras always a huge help and very informative XBPartitioner 64kb cluster for max space it is again thank you :)

At least, I believe the M8plus or M8 BIOS on these unflashable Aladdin modchips is set to use partitions 6 and 7.   Use Evoxdash to create a backup set of information files for your Xbox.  In the Backup folder you will find a bios.bin file.  Download it then Open... it in EVTool v1.0.9.  Which LBA48 setting does it display as the default for the BIOS?

310939600_EvoxM8plusLBA48Settings-Screenshot2022-07-16172107.png.8ea1fffdff0f5fd2c8676cee10176042.png

2 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

At least, I believe the M8plus or M8 BIOS on these unflashable Aladdin modchips is set to use partitions 6 and 7.   Use Evoxdash to create a backup set of information files for your Xbox.  In the Backup folder you will find a bios.bin file.  Download it and load it into EVTool v1.0.9.  Which LBA48 setting is shown:

310939600_EvoxM8plusLBA48Settings-Screenshot2022-07-16172107.png.8ea1fffdff0f5fd2c8676cee10176042.png

Can I use that to change it?or is that the part thats RO?

11 hours ago, Nf Given XD said:

Also...to that same post...would fatxplorer be able to format it correctly for a preload or no?

I not quite sure about that.  I've only used it to format a 2TB hard drive. It splits the free space after the stock partitions - 1 thru 5 (E, C, X, Y, and Z respectively) - equally between the 2 extended partition, 6 and 7 (F and G drives), each 927.78 GBs in size. It also writes a partition table to the first sector of the hard drive like XBPartitioner v1.3 which with a BIOS patched to support LBA48 v2 or later overrides the BIOS's default LBA48 setting.

12 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

I not quite sure about that.  I've only used it to format a 2TB hard drive. It splits the free space after the stock partitions - 1 thru 5 (E, C, X, Y, and Z respectively) - equally between the 2 extended partition, 6 and 7 (F and G drives), each 927.78 GBs in size. It also writes a partition table to the first sector of the hard drive like XBPartitioner v1.3 which with a BIOS patched to support LBA48 v2 or later overrides the BIOS's default LBA48 setting.

Ty for that info ill stick with XBPartitioner  and then dump the eeprom to unlock the hdd after and then load it...again thank you 😊 highly appreciate it and you.

On 8/23/2022 at 2:22 AM, Nf Given XD said:

Ty for that info ill stick with XBPartitioner  and then dump the eeprom to unlock the hdd after and then load it...again thank you 😊 highly appreciate it and you.

so update on this.I have the hdd formatted with all space on F and it shows it and all....However....FatXplorer wont see the drive correctly and error code 2...but the drive can be seen in explorer++ on windows 10...could this be caused by a partition size limit imposed on fatxplorer?

update:Tried the suggested partition setup and still have the same results error code 2.

Edited by Nf Given XD

4 hours ago, Nf Given XD said:

so update on this.I have the hdd formatted with all space on F and it shows it and all....However....FatXplorer wont see the drive correctly and error code 2...but the drive can be seen in explorer++ on windows 10...could this be caused by a partition size limit imposed on fatxplorer?

update:Tried the suggested partition setup and still have the same results error code 2.

If explorer++ can access the hard drive's content, it is not formatted with the XBOX's FATX filesystem.  Did you let Windows format the hard drive when it prompted you to after connecting it to your PC?  CANCEL that operation.  You must use FATXplorer 3.0 Beta to format the hard drive with the correct Filesystem for the Xbox.

16 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Does the hard drive already work in the Xbox?  It has been locked.

If so, for FATXplorer 3.0 Beta to be able to access the hard drive, you must have the eeprom.bin backup and use FATXplorer to unlock the hard drive before it can format it.

See thats the thing it works in the Xbox all works fine...it is locked to the eeprom...the problem is fatxplorer shoots a something montools error code 2 when I try to check the security sector to unlock it

SmartmonTools ?

I believe FATXplorer 3.0 Beta uses a patched version of smartmontools.org's smartctl.exe application to unlock the hard drive.

This application is also used by XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 and 3.  Not all USB-to-HDD Interface adapters are directly compatible with it.

It is a command-line tool that you run from a Windows Run as Administrator started cmd.exe window.

smartctl.exe -g security /dev/sd?  where the ? is a letter for the drive to be accessed.  You can figure out which letter should be used based on the PHYSICALDRIVEN.

wmic diskdrive get model,name

The output of this command looks like the following:

Model                 Name
SanDisk SDSSDH3 1T02  \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
WDC WD80EB-28CGH2     \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1

each Numbered Physical Drive name has to be translated to the Linux style drive name to access it with smartmontools' smartct.exe program.

• N = 0, ? = a
  • N = 1, ? = b
  • N = 2, ? = c
  • etc.

So it fhe Xbox hard drive is at \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1, the device name to access it with smartctl.exe is /dev/sdb

smartctl.exe -g security /dev/sdb will return the current lock status of the hard drive:

smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-w64-mingw32-win8] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

ATA Security is:  Disabled, frozen [SEC2]

Some adapters however require an additional option on the command line for it to find the adapter.

-d sat, -d usbjmicron, or one of a few others available.

You need to find the USB adapter's idVendor and idProduct values to determine if and which option it requires.

usbview.exe (mediafire.com download or attached below) is a standalone Windows application that can run to find those values.

usbview.exe

942871748_usbview.exe-Screenshot2021-11-02163949.png.dbc2ed209a6e0fde4c8088092485433f.png

Go to smartmontools.org's Supported USB devices web page to find your adapter based on the values found and find what additional command-line option to use.

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

SmartmonTools ?

I believe FATXplorer 3.0 Beta uses a patched version of smartmontools.org's smartctl.exe application to unlock the hard drive.

This application is also used by XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 and 3.  Not all USB-to-HDD Interface adapters are directly compatible with it.

It is a command-line tool that you run from a Windows Run as Administrator started cmd.exe window.

smartctl.exe -g security /dev/sd?  where the ? is a letter for the drive to be accessed.  You can figure out which letter should be used based on the PHYSICALDRIVEN.

wmic diskdrive get model,name

The output of this command looks like the following:

Model                 Name
SanDisk SDSSDH3 1T02  \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
WDC WD80EB-28CGH2     \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1

each Numbered Physical Drive name has to be translated to the Linux style drive name to access it with smartmontools' smartct.exe program.

• N = 0, ? = a
  • N = 1, ? = b
  • N = 2, ? = c
  • etc.

So it fhe Xbox hard drive is at \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1, the device name to access it with smartctl.exe is /dev/sdb

smartctl.exe -g security /dev/sdb will return the current lock status of the hard drive:

smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-w64-mingw32-win8] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

ATA Security is:  Disabled, frozen [SEC2]

Some adapters however require an additional option on the command line for it to find the adapter.

-d sat, -d usbjmicron, or one of a few others available.

You need to find the USB adapter's idVendor and idProduct values to determine if and which option it requires.

usbview.exe (mediafire.com download or attached below) is a standalone Windows application that can run to find those values.

usbview.exe 82.82 kB · 22 downloads

942871748_usbview.exe-Screenshot2021-11-02163949.png.dbc2ed209a6e0fde4c8088092485433f.png

Go to smartmontools.org's Supported USB devices web page to find your adapter based on the values found and find what additional command-line option to use.

If I unlock the drive.....because my xbox is chipped....and I have a few hdds to run it with....will that allow me to format it ?

Cause if thats the case ill prep it with fatxplorer specifically to avoid issues in the future...as the app sees my 4tb just fine with the same "usb adapter" (mybook pro external taken apart to use as adapter)

It just seems that this 1tb just ain't having it

Just now, Nf Given XD said:

If I unlock the drive.....because my xbox is chipped....and I have a few hdds to run it with....will that allow me to format it ?

Cause if thats the case ill prep it with fatxplorer specifically to avoid issues in the future...as the app sees my 4tb just fine with the same "usb adapter" (mybook pro external taken apart to use as adapter)

It just seems that this 1tb just ain't having it

Also to note I have a recovery disk(hexen2022) so if I could just full format the drive eeprom and all there I feel like that may be more ideal for what I'm planning to attempt

3 hours ago, Nf Given XD said:

It has to be the fatxplorer app not liking the adapter as I used a dummy drive I prepped and it did the same thing..

Download and run usbview.exe that I linked and attached in an earlier post.  Determine which of the listed devices is the USB-to-HDD interface adapter it lists then look on the right-hand pane for the idVendor and idProduct values.  What are they?

Next look at the smartmontool's supported USB page to see if smartctl.exe requires an additional commandline option to work with this adapter.