OGXbox.com

Replaced blown caps on v 1.4. Now doesn't boot

russlb

2 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Oh mate, I don't want to sound or be rude in any way but, you assumed you have burned the "traces or vias" and you post a picture of the top of the mainboard. 

How ever, if I see right, you have a 1.4 mainboard. And the 3 caps in front of the CPU should be 3300uf 6.3v. What I see are 1500uf 6.3v? 

Yeah sorry the pictures wouldn't upload; they were too big and I had to shrink them down.  The three CPU caps I replaced with 3300uf 10v which should be fine.

Cap Replace 1.png

Pic upload : https://imgur.com/upload

And right from above isn't the best option to take a photo. How ever, they are goog enough to say *outch* but to bad to say something more. And it looks like you soldered without flux which isn't to good because it helps the solder to flow nice and even and it also helps to transfer the heat from your iron to the pads/vias/parts/etc.... :)

9 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Pic upload : https://imgur.com/upload

And right from above isn't the best option to take a photo. How ever, they are goog enough to say *outch* but to bad to say something more. And it looks like you soldered without flux which isn't to good because it helps the solder to flow nice and even and it also helps to transfer the heat from your iron to the pads/vias/parts/etc.... :)

I'm going to desolder and give it another try, with flux this time.  I have it but didn't use it.

10 hours ago, russlb said:

Yeah sorry the pictures wouldn't upload; they were too big and I had to shrink them down.  The three CPU caps I replaced with 3300uf 10v which should be fine.

Cap Replace 1.png

Definitely needs a better picture. Lighting without the flash would be much better due to the glare it causes.

But, wth is going on with those faces over by that screw hole on the right? Did you pool solder on top of them in the left bend?

14 hours ago, Yoinx said:

Definitely needs a better picture. Lighting without the flash would be much better due to the glare it causes.

But, wth is going on with those faces over by that screw hole on the right? Did you pool solder on top of them in the left bend?

Yeah overall I did a poor job.  Redoing it this afternoon and I will report back.  I hope I can salvage this board.  It's got Cerbios 2.0.2 TSOP flashed on it. I was using it with a 3TB laptop drive

• 8 months later...

Wow sorry for the late reply.  Life got the better of me, including selling my place and buying a new one and focusing on a couple of 1.6 boards that I have updated with the Xenium Hub.  I still have to get back to trying to resolder those capacitors.

I've also been hesitant because I fear my soldering skills are not up to the task.  I have a local place that does that kind of work so I might give it to them to try.  Is it possible that when I removed the old capacitors I damaged the motherboard so the new ones didn't make contact?  

You could have damaged the traces with too much heat during de-soldering. Its a common mistake when new to the task.  To be fair I have damaged a board or two doing it and I have literal decades of experience.  That said most things can be fixed.  

My advise to you get hold of some junk electronics, old appliances are a great source. Practice on them that way it wont matter if it breaks as its already junk.

Practice  removal and reapplying components, you’ll soon grow in confidence.

if you can get hold of a few cheap hobby electronics kits for a few dollarbucks, or what ever your currency is.  The kind of thing that flashes a light sequence or makes a timer or such. Practice on them and you can remove and reapply. 

On 5/5/2023 at 12:07 AM, russlb said:

Wow sorry for the late reply.  Life got the better of me, including selling my place and buying a new one and focusing on a couple of 1.6 boards that I have updated with the Xenium Hub.  I still have to get back to trying to resolder those capacitors.

I've also been hesitant because I fear my soldering skills are not up to the task.  I have a local place that does that kind of work so I might give it to them to try.  Is it possible that when I removed the old capacitors I damaged the motherboard so the new ones didn't make contact?  

The Xbox motherboard is a 4 layer PCB and if you have ripped the plated hole that's connected to the middle traces from the board there is no coming back.

xn-Ol-I-B5o-GOIy-T.png

The best thing you can do when learning to solder is find old electronic circuit boards and practice

I also recommend you have a read of this tutorial 

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guide-excellent-soldering/common-problems

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 3:14 PM, Yoinx said:

Hehe... Screw hole.