OGXbox.com

.Xpr File Packers

On 8/11/2022 at 2:10 AM, GreenHawk said:

Just download the XPR Express.zip. Works with Windows XP, I use virtualbox.

https://github.com/Rocky5/XBMC4Gamers/tree/master/Other/Tools

I don't believe that XPR app works for anything other than creating the Textures.xpr file for XBMC4Xbox or its variants.

However, I could be wrong.

You will have to install a leaked XDK on a PC or Virtual machine running Windows XP or Windows 2000 OS to have access to the XPR tools it should include.  I don't have the XDK installed on any computer to know if it does or does not include such application(s).

• 2 weeks later...

Can XPR Express actually pack XPR's? Yes, I think so.

I have Rocky5's updated version with 64bit OS support and it unpacks things like the XBMC Textures.xpr without issue using Windows 7 64bit.

But packing I thought not .......................it actually says in the GUI "Compressing N/A".

It does have a Compress option tab but I found initially if you use it with the same Win7 Pro 64bit OS you received error messages at some point during the compression. However (and I've just checked to confirm this) I found that if you took a typical XBMC skin Textures.xpr and unpacked it then used the Compress button option it would repack it as long as you used the desktop as the destination for the new Textures.xpr.

I've unpacked that test XPR too and all the items (PNGs) inside open as they should.

In the past with the Xbox font maker I've found the tool used does not like too many folder levels to be involved in the final destination path. It is better to use the desktop as the location for the new file. So I thought that might be the problem and it looks like it is with XPR Express too.

So it does work with Win7 Pro 64bit.

I did a quick test with WinXP (Mode) - the free to install Win7 Pro cut down XP (32bit) OS and I couldn't get XPR Express to work at all. To begin with it reported it needed a missing DLL - MSVCP71.dll, which is a sister .DLL to the MSCRVR71.dll that is often missing from post WinXP OS and the cause of Xplorer360 reporting a missing .DLL error. I installed both on the XP VM and tried again.

This time XPR Express (32bit) started to unpack the same Textures.xpr I'd used before but stopped with another error message relating to a temporary file issue.

As I had XPR Express working with Win7 Pro 64bit I did not bother to pursue this any further.      

Edited by HDShadow

• 1 year later...
On 8/11/2022 at 2:10 AM, GreenHawk said:

Just download the XPR Express.zip. Works with Windows XP, I use virtualbox.

https://github.com/Rocky5/XBMC4Gamers/tree/master/Other/Tools

Commenting on this post for anyone else trying to use this software. XPR Express works fine on Windows 10 64-bit if you install the .NET 1.1 runtime and .NET 1.1 SDK.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1596167/where-to-download-microsoft-visual-c-2003-redistributable

Edited by Rachmaninoff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1