OGXbox.com

This is kinda off topic....but is xbox relatedish

Nf Given XD

So I have a question....and it may sound dumb but ill explain and hopefully one of you wonderful lads and gents will have the answer I need....

I had two 1tb 3.5 hdds one got locked to a burned out mobo on a 1.2 xbox...

1.can I format that drive without the hdd key?

2.I don't want the data off of it just want to wipe it.

3.Its a WD Blue series hdd.

Hopefully someone can relay some info on this...

[Mods feel free to put this in the right forum topic as I wasn't sure where this should go]

If the hard drive was locked using Configmagic on the Xbox, you can use an ATA SecureErase app to wipe the drive's content to reuse it for another purpose.  All data will be lost which you say you don't want so all good there.  The SecureErase application will ask you for a MASTER password before it can wipe the drive/reformat it.  With ConfigMagic the MASTER password is TEAMASSEMBLY.  If that password doesn't work, it may be XBOXSCENE as other Xbox hard drive locking applications used it as a MAStER password. 

If those fail and you don't have the motherboard to read the data from the configuration EEPROM or a backup eeprom.bin file for the Xbox the hard drive was installed in, it may be impossible to reuse the hard drive. 

Another possibility, was the HDDKey NULL'd?  If so, you can create an eeprom.bin file with enough data to use XboxHDM23USB's unlock option to unlock the hard drive.

I suggest to first try to unlock the drive using a NULL'd HDDKey eeprom.bin file. If doing so unlocks the hard drive, you can recover the data stored on it.

• Like 1

that happened to me once, the solution was to transplant the eeprom chip to the new motherboard, btw that came with a strange side effect of making it impossible to keep the time and date (kept defaulting to some random date in the 31st century) but one of the options in the xblast bios fixed that

17 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

If the hard drive was locked using Configmagic on the Xbox, you can use an ATA SecureErase app to wipe the drive's content to reuse it for another purpose.  All data will be lost which you say you don't want so all good there.  The SecureErase application will ask you for a MASTER password before it can wipe the drive/reformat it.  With ConfigMagic the MASTER password is TEAMASSEMBLY.  If that password doesn't work, it may be XBOXSCENE as other Xbox hard drive locking applications used it as a MAStER password. 

If those fail and you don't have the motherboard to read the data from the configuration EEPROM or a backup eeprom.bin file for the Xbox the hard drive was installed in, it may be impossible to reuse the hard drive. 

Another possibility, was the HDDKey NULL'd?  If so, you can create an eeprom.bin file with enough data to use XboxHDM23USB's unlock option to unlock the hard drive.

I suggest to first try to unlock the drive using a NULL'd HDDKey eeprom.bin file. If doing so unlocks the hard drive, you can recover the data stored on it.

Thank you for the reply...however I did connect it to my pc....and I think its dead :( 0mb of 0mb cant repartition cant format...hell even fatxplorer says its unlocked