OGXbox.com

[SOLVED] Problem with F drive on soft modded xbox

Lo2301

Hi HDshadow,

13 hours ago, HDShadow said:

There's a possibility with XBMC not launching that it is a skin or user data problem.

Yes I thought also that was a skin related problem since I saw an error about skin loading in xbmc.log of the old version.

Did you delete the existing XBMC installation (in fact I'd suggest renaming it to XBMCOrg in preference to deleting it) before copying in the new installation.?

If you used the Copy option it should overwrite/replace existing files but it would not delete some UserData and other files which [b]may[/b] be what are preventing it launching.

Normally leaving the UseData files untouched is desirable as the most common reason for copying in a new version of XBMC is to update an existing installation. But if that installation is faulty in some way then the new installation will likely experience the same problem.

At first I copied to a folder named xbmc 3,5,3, but then I deleted the old versions and renamed the folder as xbmc (in case there was a hard-coding of xbmc folder somewhere. I know i should have kept the old files but I didn't think too much (a little bored maybe) and i simply removed both folders under E/Apps

An alternative solution would be to try XBMC Error Recovery Mode but doing that will reset to default all your previous user settings which is why I suggested renaming the existing installation instead before copying in a fresh XBMC one.

How can i do that ?

BTW this forum is far more active than the XBMC4Xbox one and whilst you might be lucky and get a solution from a genuine XBMC guru whose knowledge on the such matters is the size of a planet chances are the only person there who'd actually reply would be me under a different name. :) KaosEngineer here is pretty much as good as it gets on all Xbox matters so you're getting some of the best trouble shooting advice already.  

Lol ! 🙂 xbox world is small ! ;-). Thank you very much to both of you !

• Like 1

An alternative solution would be to try XBMC Error Recovery Mode but doing that will reset to default all your previous user settings which is why I suggested renaming the existing installation instead before copying in a fresh XBMC one.

How can i do that ?

The method is in the hyper-link Error Recovery Mode.

I'd try launching XBMC from its default.xbe using the UnleashX file manager and use the method described: holding down L3 and R3 during boot. As warned it will delete all your previous settings whatever they are.

6 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

The method is in the hyper-link Error Recovery Mode.

Yes I saw it after having posted my answer. Actually, I already saw that somewhere and tried it (pressing Y and whte button during startup and it does absolutely nothing.

8 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

I'd try launching XBMC from its default.xbe using the UnleashX file manager and use the method described: holding down L3 and R3 during boot. As warned it will delete all your previous settings whatever they are.

I don't understand what is L3 and R3. I pressed Y and white buttons.

R3/L3 are the two joystick buttons - you click down on the joysticks at the same time during XBMC's boot and it should reset everything to default. I've only needed to do it once myself years ago (a skin issue) but I think you get a dialogue box which asks whether you wish to proceed before it actually does it.

On 8/9/2022 at 2:56 AM, HDShadow said:

R3/L3 are the two joystick buttons - you click down on the joysticks at the same time during XBMC's boot and it should reset everything to default. I've only needed to do it once myself years ago (a skin issue) but I think you get a dialogue box which asks whether you wish to proceed before it actually does it.

I've just did it (i've seen the confirmation message) but it does nothing new regarding my problem : still the logo and then stuck.

One other strange thing is the 'last modified date' of xbmc.log. I'ts shifted two hours in the future with respect to the date/time I've set in unleashX. When I look inside the xbmc.log, the hour/minutes are the right ones (no shift).

Edited by Lo2301
clarification

I think bypassing the shortcut and the existing installation of XBMC entirely as a further test is the way to go. You need to install another fresh copy of XBMC4Xbox using a different source for the download too.

Your F:\ drive is now working, yes?

If so I'd create an "Apps" folder on that (F:\Apps) and put the fresh copy of XBMC in there. Reboot and try to launch it from its "default.xbe" using UnleashX's filer manager. It will be using the default XBMC settings so there is no reason I can think of for it not to work.

If it doesn't then there must be something preventing it, something specifically to do with the XCalibur softmod. This returns us full circle to the need to have advice from somebody who actually knows that softmod.

EDIT

I've just downloaded and installed the XBMC v3.5.3 copy found at Digiex (Google). Make sure you "Download XBMC4Xbox v3.5.3" not one of the other download options that might pop up there.

Just unpack the XBMC4XBOX-3_5_3 (65MB) zip directly on PC and you should have a single level "XBMC" folder (109MB). FTP or transfer by other means that to F:\Apps and test it as described.

It is using the blue themed Confluence skin by default which a lot of people seem to like and it launches perfectly on the SID/AID softmodded Xbox I use for testing stuff like this.

Hopefully it will work as easily for you as that and if it does then we can think about getting it installed as a main dash.       

35 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Your F:\ drive is now working, yes?

yes

36 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

I've just downloaded and installed the XBMC v3.5.3 copy found at Digiex (Google). Make sure you "Download XBMC4Xbox v3.5.3" not one of the other download options that might pop up there.

Done

36 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Just unpack the XBMC4XBOX-3_5_3 (65MB) zip directly on PC and you should have a single level "XBMC" folder (109MB). FTP or transfer by other means that to F:\Apps and test it as described.

Done

37 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Reboot and try to launch it from its "default.xbe" using UnleashX's filer manager.

Done.

I've launched it with the 'Boxplorer' application of my unleashX installation. There is a splash screen of Xcalibur then the Xbmc4xbox logo and then gets stuck.

I've tried also with X-Commander application. When clicking of X-commander there is this Xcalibur splash screen then X-commander running then I lauch the default.xbe of xbmc and gets xbmc logo and then stuck again.

If it is this I won't be surprised: don't launch it with either of those ancient old crocks of file managers.

Just use the built in UnleashX dash file manager (File Explorer as it is usually listed). It should be in the main menu somewhere but that may depend on the softmod. If the XCalibur softmod has omitted it for some reason then: shame on the creator(s).

D1I3TWv.thumb.jpg.97b94a5ae7864bdbe6873104cdc32c03.jpg

Sorry about this pic - not my own, but it shows the default UnleashX dash skin and menu which is the important thing.

Edited by HDShadow
typo

29 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

Just use the built in UnleashX dash file manager (File Explorer as it is usually listed). It should be in the main menu somewhere but that may depend on the softmod. If the XCalibur softmod has omitted it for some reason then: shame on the creator(s).

Here is my main screen in UnleashX :

image.thumb.jpeg.df16770eeab01c19a59367fda125541c.jpeg

Now, I used the "Explorer le disque dur" item (which can be translated as "File Explorer") and I have the same result (logo then stuck)

Edited by Lo2301
typo

Damn! I was so hoping that was it.

Thinks: what on earth is preventing XBMC from launching? Running out of ideas.

Let's go back to basics:-

What region is the Xbox set too ie. NTSC or PAL?

What AV cable type are you using for the Xbox - AV Composite, SCART, RGB SCART, Component?

If Component/NTSC: what resolution ?

1 hour ago, HDShadow said:

What region is the Xbox set too ie. NTSC or PAL?

Yes, I was thinking also that it could be a region/resolution related problem.

The region is PAL

image.thumb.jpeg.4401ceac55ae7c01494919910935029f.jpeg

What AV cable type are you using for the Xbox - AV Composite, SCART, RGB SCART, Component?

I use AV composite with a RGB scart/AV Composite adapter

image.thumb.jpeg.b469d2e90a233eed4962a93120f05b71.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9830cf1914b367d32362f4f225fcf8a5.jpeg

Edited by Lo2301
clarification / typo

4 hours ago, HDShadow said:

This returns us full circle to the need to have advice from somebody who actually knows that softmod.

I'ver posted a message on the forum geux-forum.net. Hoping that someone will know the tricks related to Xcalibur there ...

I already tried before but could not validate my registration on the forum because of my email address (google mail). I have changed to protonmail and could registrate (i say it in case you want to registrate also on this forum).

Of course I will post here the solution if i find it on that forum.

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Download the xbmc.log and xbmc.old.log files.  Upload them to pastebin.com then share the links to them.

Voila. It's done. Thank you very much for you, r feedback, Kaos and hdshadow.

Edited by Lo2301

Whatever the problem is I don't think it is a regional one. By default XBMC is set to Auto so as long as the skin being used has not been mucked around whatever regional setting and resolution XBMC should be displaying it correctly.

I was hoping you were using RGB SCART and NTSC rather than a SCART AV Composite adapter because some TVs (predominantly EU ones) don't support RGB with NTSC. I had a 20" Grundig 4:3 CRT which had that problem. A TV resolution support issue doesn't really fit in with the other evidence anyway.

The TV does have Component inputs and if you can get hold of a Xbox Component cable and swap the Xbox to NTSC you'll get far better picture quality than the present AV Composite via SCART arrangement. But that's just a side comment, it doesn't help with the XBMC problem.

Lets hope the XBMC logs tell us something.  

9 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

What's done?

I uploaded the log files to paste.bin. Here they are (E:\Apps\xbmc\):

xbmc.log : https://pastebin.com/5YUysAqc

xbmc.old.log : https://pastebin.com/8UGZyZXx

F:\Apps\Xbmc\:

xbmc.log https://pastebin.com/0jjdci1z

xbmc.old.log https://pastebin.com/C7Z3hs9k

Note that the xbmc.log on F shows errors (database related) after the "loading skin" notice. Is it because I have no video file and no video file folder yet ?

PS: I've noticed that the dates/times of these files are shifted 2 hours in the future wrt date/time set in the parameters of the box. times in the files are correct though.

Edited by Lo2301
typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HDShadow said:

The TV does have Component inputs and if you can get hold of a Xbox Component cable and swap the Xbox to NTSC you'll get far better picture quality than the present AV Composite via SCART arrangement.

thank you for the hint. i keep it in mind for the future.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lo2301 said:

PS: I've noticed that the dates/times of these files are shifted 2 hours in the future wrt date/time set in the parameters of the box. times in the files are correct though.

Is the timezone where you live - UTC/GMT-2?

I believe the log file entries are stated using the current GMT time, not offset by your consoles timezone and any Daylight Savings time offset.

KE: Can you see anything obviously amiss in the logs provided?

Lo2301: I'd suggest trying this: delete the E:\CACHE, X:\, Y:\ and Z:\ drive content ie. not the actual folders. It won't do any harm; sometimes the temporary stuff there can interfere with other Xbox functions. Then boot using the F:\XBMC\ default.xbe again.

I'm not optimistic but worth a go.

I'd suggest trying this: delete the E:\CACHE, X:\, Y:\ and Z:\ drive content ie. not the actual folders. It won't do any harm; sometimes the temporary stuff there can interfere with other Xbox functions. Then boot using the F:\XBMC\ default.xbe again.

Done it. It still doesn't work.

xbmc.log https://pastebin.com/Ns53a0jq

xbmc.old.log : https://pastebin.com/NEM5fJM6

I think we're coming down now to the only explanation being something to do with the XCalibur softmod itself. But what? I won't even speculate.

It is a bit of a cop out, and I hate not being able to work out what the problem is, but my solution now must be to buy a new HDD, install a fresh alternative softmod on it by one means or another. Then use Chimp or other methods to lock it to the Xbox in question.

You still have the original XCalibur softmod installation on the existing HDD so the content, if needed, is still available. But with the tools there are, even using XSelect if you're wedded to that type of set up, you can get the new softmod to do everything the previous one did and actually work 100% without the hassle you've had in this case.     

• Like 1

install a fresh alternative softmod

Which alternative softmod would you recommend ?

I don't understand clearly one thing : what's the risk if i remove the ndure softmod (there is an option to do it on xcaliburc cd). Will i loose all i have on f partition ?

I still have some hope though since I have an answer from gueux-forum.net. It's not the kind of answer that I expected though. They send me back to the Xcalibur Manual.

So I'm explaining to them step by step everything I do to install Xbmc, give them the xbmc.log and expect from them to tell me what I'm doing wrong and more importantly what I should do to make it work.

Edited by Lo2301
added question

• KaosEngineer changed the title to [SOLVED] Problem with F drive on soft modded xbox
  • KaosEngineer locked this topic