OGXbox.com

Ram Upgrade

Stu2b2

the RAM upgrade in my experienced opinion, is the most beneficial mod on this machine.

Benefits of upgrading the Ram (memory) from 64mb to 128mb:
*Emulators (PS1, N64, MAME, GBA, SNES, NES, Genesis and any other) run smoother and run a lot of games the 64mb Xbox cannot.
*Enables play-ability of some Sega Chihiro games.
*XBMC, UnleashX and other dashboards run faster without lag.
*Video player runs clean and extra RAM allows playback in HD.
*Allows streaming videos via home network reliably.
*Speeds the operation of the LINUX operating system.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 1:03 AM, John7272 said:

the RAM upgrade in my experienced opinion, is the most beneficial mod on this machine.

Benefits of upgrading the Ram (memory) from 64mb to 128mb:
*Emulators (PS1, N64, MAME, GBA, SNES, NES, Genesis and any other) run smoother and run a lot of games the 64mb Xbox cannot.
*Enables play-ability of some Sega Chihiro games.
*XBMC, UnleashX and other dashboards run faster without lag.
*Allows streaming videos via home network reliably.
*Speeds the operation of the LINUX operating system.

this is slightly misleading.
the emulators benefit. but i haven't seen many additional games outside of arcade emulation becoming playable.
i find the majority of emulation has been extremely well configured for the stock console. i was even slightly withdrawn from my raving when i dropped my n64 set on a stock console.... it runs it just as good, the difference is almost imperceptible. MIND YOU, my configuring of emulators is low level understanding, so maybe there is more john has done.

which video player is that?

what are the format specs of the file being played?
from what i've experienced there is a marginal increase in fluidity, without getting granular on file specs, i'd say this is mostly incorrect. and to use the abbreviation "HD" is flat out wrong. even the 1.4ghz cpu consoles seem to have a rough time with 720p, 1080 is entirely out of the question
i double checked my definition of HD with wikipedia for this, 

"High-definition video is video of higher resolution and quality than standard-definition. While there is no standardized meaning for high-definition, generally any video image with considerably more than 480 vertical lines (North America) or 576 vertical lines (Europe) is considered high-definition." 

NOT to be negative John7272, but those are the facts,
if you have information to the contrary, please share it.

EDIT :

I found some self contradicting evidence that suggests im out of line regarding video playback,
https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/XBMC_Features_and_Supported_Formats#Xbox_supported_video_formats_and_resolutions

analyze the chart describing supported formats and resolutions

5c01c602523a6_videoformatresolution.png.cc6e6628ff10cfc2556a4129b7374e89.png

I would never spend the time converting media to have it play smoothly in HD on an xbox. I find the majority of my media in H.264 HD not H.263, but hey. technically.... i was wrong.

Practically, i still feel right because i dont think the ram impacts performance to the extent of making majority of HD content viewable on this console. Also (based on technicality) the console can already handle HD on stock ram.

END OF EDIT

All in all;

The prospect of upgrading ram is so daunting for an electronics rookie (me) that if you are successful...... the fact that your performance gain is only minimal hardly matters.

On 11/12/2018 at 3:30 AM, fox said:

ending the lag on xbmc was worth it to me

this is probably my favorite part of the ram upgrade

xbmc handles the hefty skins alot better, and just does things better. alot less crashing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 9:44 PM, XC-3730C said:

Do emulators need to be patched to take advantage of the extra RAM? Also, does Final Burn Legends also take advantage of extra RAM as far as arcade games, or is it only MAME?

dont quote me on this because i clearly cant keep my crap straight,

but if i remember correctly most emulators already register as being patched for the ram, or the patcher states "no patch executed" or something along those lines meaning the software is already looking for (or open to) the extra ram.

also, just to answer your other question... well i dont really know. but i believe FBL does use it. subtle improvement. in a confined space such as the original xbox tho. any improvement is worth your time. especially for a guy like yourself, modder extraordinaire. you deserve the best. so go and DIY.