OGXbox.com

If I have a SATA HDD in my Xbox and I want to replace it with an SSD, how would I do this?

Skyrider2

Hey guys, my softmodded 1.6 box with a SATA adapter in it is taking a while to boot up and I'm wondering if the drive is on its way out. I'd like to be able to clone the drive to a SATA SSD I have lying around but every drive cloning tutorial I see out there involves hotswapping an IDE drive.

How would I accomplish this?

If you currently have a SATA hard drive/IDE-to-SATA adapter combo, you'll need a second IDE-to-SATA adapter to connect the SSD drive.  Hotswap the IDE connector from the DVD drive to an SSD/IDE-to-SATA adapter when Chimp 261812 prompts you to do so.

SSD's adapter set to SLAVE when cloning the current hard drive's content to it.  After cloning when you swap the SSD for the hard drive, the adapter is set to MASTER.

SSD in og xbox is waste of money. Good CMR based HDD will be as good. I use CMR based HDD and I have good boot times. If you don't want to hotswamp, you can buy 3 in 1 HDD USB 3.0 adapter, safer and better, plus you loading HDD with games will be a breeze. Even coinops loads games fast.

And using fatxplorer you can create copy of C, E drives. fatxplorer backup tool is good, it keeps original date and time for files and folder when doing simple copy, not raw image, for those who are purists :D.

Buying SATA/PATA/IDE to USB 3.0 adapter will be a good future investment.

@prtscnbuying a good CMR HDD while you have a SSD lying around is literally a waist of money ;)

For the rest it’s indeed debatable whether an SSD is worth the extra cost. You get a slight load time improvement in certain games on UDMA2. It’s unclear whether UDMA5 give a bigger improvement, in theory it might, but the gain is again seconds.

This works great for direct cloning of xbox drives. Ive used it many times myself. Doesn't even need to be connected to a pc, direct drive to drive clone. Wouldnt recommend for drives of different sizes tho.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076H5P6Z1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by nikeymikey

On 7/28/2022 at 4:30 AM, nikeymikey said:

This works great for direct cloning of xbox drives. Ive used it many times myself. Doesn't even need to be connected to a pc, direct drive to drive clone. Wouldnt recommend for drives of different sizes tho.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076H5P6Z1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does this work if the drive is locked though?

1 hour ago, Skyrider2 said:

Does this work if the drive is locked though?

No, the Xbox hard drive will need to be unlocked to clone it in the docking station. If your console is softmodded, you will need to have the eeprom.bin backup so you can lock the hard drive before installing it back into the Xbox.

The latest release of FATXplorer 3.0 Beta includes Xbox hard drive locking and unlocking operations.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

No, the Xbox hard drive will need to be unlocked to clone it in the docking station. If your console is softmodded, you will need to have the eeprom.bin backup so you can lock the hard drive before installing it back into the Xbox.

The latest release of FATXplorer 3.0 Beta includes Xbox hard drive locking and unlocking operations.

Ooh, this is a VERY nice development.