OGXbox.com

XBOX 1.6b No Power, Dead PSU?

tssfka

Hi everyone, new to the forum but looks like it's the right place for me to visit. 

I have an Xbox 1.6b (2005, Australian 240V model).

Tonight it wouldn't fire up at all, completely dead and unresponsive to the power button. 

I opened it up and there was no obvious damage on the mobo.

All i could measure on the 20 pin molex from the psu were some very low voltage (0.6V) on the 5V pins. 12V was reading 0. Ac input fuses showed good continuity.

The only thing that looks suspect on the psu is the component in R10. I measured across the pins for R10 and its reading open circuit.

I reflowed the solder on the AC input pins, no change.

The xbox has been moldded since purchase but has been working perfectly until tonight. Nothing has been changed in the last 15 years. Still in original case.

The original power cable seems to be intermittent now but other cables tried and no change. 

Any suggestions to help diagnose would be appreciated as I couldn't t find any replacement psu online anymore. 

OG psu is Tuscany rev 1.0.

Tyia,

tssfka

20220728_014702.jpg

20220728_014451.jpg

Can you unplug the Xbox from the mains, disconnect the motherboard power connector, wait at least a minute, then plug it back in and measure the voltage between any red and black wires on the connector?

That R10 resistor should probably not read open circuit. It may be a fusible type and broken open. You can remove the heatshink carefully to see if it looks damaged.

Yeah that doesn't sound good. You can try desoldering the suspect resistor and unwrap it to see its value. See if you can find a replacement and maybe that will fix it.

While you have the PSU out, check the resistance between pins on the heatsinked devices. They are usually 3-pin transistors and these often fail short-circuit. Also measure the resistance of the fuse which is the brown cylinder next to the AC in plug.

Thanks will do. I really appreciate the help. 👍

Also, I have the opportunity to buy a "for parts" xbox but the psu looks like it is from a 1.5 version.

Is it possible to reassign the pins and use a psu cross models?

I haven't seen a post about that being effective. 

Alternatively I'm looking at an atx psu mod.

3 hours ago, tssfka said:

Thanks will do. I really appreciate the help. 👍

Also, I have the opportunity to buy a "for parts" xbox but the psu looks like it is from a 1.5 version.

Is it possible to reassign the pins and use a psu cross models?

I haven't seen a post about that being effective. 

Alternatively I'm looking at an atx psu mod.

There is no 1.5 version

The 1.2-1.4 have the same power supply and the 1.6 has the same 20 pin plug as the 1.2-1.4 but in not compatible.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Further to this last message I did some more checking. Brown fuse is OK. R10 resistor is OK (i had wrong scale set on meter, it's 66kOhm).

I rigged up a temporary power patch using an atx psu and there's some life left in it. It will turn over the fans but I couldn't give it enough power to get it to boot up with the av cable connected.

I did find a discrepancy with the tuscany markings and the pin out diagrams for the v1.6b. The 5v and 5vsb appear swapped in the pin outs I've seen.

Definitely looks psu related so I hope it can be resurrected. This xbox is older than my children (my wife says the xbox is not our child though). 😶

On 7/27/2022 at 6:54 PM, tssfka said:

The voltage black to red was 0.3V initially but quickly dropped to 0.03V and stayed there while reading.

Take the  guts of the console out of the case.

Does it now have the standby 5 Vdc voltage present?  

Be careful to place the PSU on a non-conductive surface and do not touch it when AC power is connected.  You will most likely get a shocking surprise.

If the case is not for a v1.6 motherboard, it may be shorting out the PSU which turns off by the PSUs over-current protection.

Edit: Please post a picture of the bottom of the case showing all of the motherboard mounting posts.

• 2 weeks later...