OGXbox.com

IR remote power switch DIY

Prehistoricman

This is just a show and tell post.

While doing my other Xbox research, I am powering on and off the Xbox a lot. I also do the power + eject sequence to load the backup bank on the Xecuter X3 a lot. I was thinking this would be slightly more convenient if I had a remote control so I found some spare IR receivers and a small board with a microcontroller on it and got to work.

The install is pretty stealthy. It's on the left of the front panel.

image.thumb.jpeg.c8f0a29cb3b71b51f3416e1a4d6b2912.jpeg

Microcontroller is on the back of the board. Connected up with thin enamelled wire from a transformer. Board is held in with Earth's greatest material: hot glue.

image.thumb.jpeg.5976c5f48b49afd107c496e67a7a8490.jpeg

I used the spare pin on the front panel connected to carry 5V to power the thing. Series resistor to limit the current or act as a fuse in case it shorts out.

image.thumb.jpeg.a0cd0dd5a747660aec4e265233e34eba.jpeg

I programmed it to use volume up and down on a generic remote for power and power+eject. This sounds inconvenient but I never use those buttons.

• Like 2