OGXbox.com

[SOLVED] Why did I try to TSOP a 1.4??

nerdbombing

I should have learned from my past mistake of trying to TSOP flash a V1.0....

I tried TSOP flashing a V1.4 this time. I triple checked my solder point for continuity at connected via's to insure my solder job was good. It checked out fine.

I followed this tutorial to the letter as it's got the same Winbond TSOP and version as I, with the exception that I used Hexen 2018 and I think thewheelman282 uses an earlier Hexen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v+GjgIuvQWrgM (youtube search for How To: Xbox TSOP Flashing Explained -Part 2)

I was able to reflash the TSOP and all seemed fine. I encounter differences then he had in his video.

1. After installing new flash, the box turned off, and when I restarted it, it went to the new unleashx dash, not booting to disc. D drive shows up in file explorer as 0kb size. I ejected and reinserted the disc and it populated the drive. So i went to file explorer and booted up the default.xbe of D drive to get back into Hexen.

2. Once there, I went to clean up the C drive from softmod. Upon doing so, the operation began. I walked away to do a 10 minute chore, and came back the xbox was off, which is different then in his video. Ok, so I ejected the disc to try to go back into Hexen, but now the eject and power button only fire up the HDD, no video output, no CD spinup and I have an orange flashing ring. Nothing else happens.

I left things powered off for a good 10 minutes, and retried starting one more time. Now it boots up to the IND bios, and takes me to the TSOP'd unleashx dash. But if I try to get back to hexen to unlock the drive, again D drive is empty in explorer. I ejected the disc and put it back in and it autoloaded it. Now I'm getting a blank black screen and orange ring flash again. I tried waiting it out, but it went on for at least 10min before i turned things back off.

At this point, I will NEVER TSOP flash again, NEVER NEVER NEVER! IT doesn't seem to boot any faster then a softmod, I'm convinced that (at least for me) a TSOP is not worth any effort that's involved with it, it's far more likely to break something, I'm done with anything but a softmod, there's enough PC stuff to handle HDD locks and unlocks, and I'd rather bash my head with that, then issues with TSOP's (and by extension hardmods/modchips).

I tried once more. Now when the disc is ejected, the tray ejects and I go straight to a black screen with flashing orange ring.

-How do I make sure the softmod is removed?

-Should I unsolder the 2 points on the board I soldered? (R7D1 and R7D10)

-Without Hexen loading, can the drive be unlocked safely/usable by way of PC and then reinstall it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Like 1

I'm not entirely with you on the TSOP hate. I've TSOPed two Xboxes including a v1.4 Winbond without any problems but I understand your pain.

I almost gave up on an Aladdin chip install too when the LPC soldering didn't go well.

But the fact is: I've never had a problem with a softmod and so, the main negative: it requires a locked HDD, has been utterly irrelevant. If you have the eeprom backup and/or a locked backup HDD you're pretty much covered if there is any trouble.

It sounds to me that in your case there is an intermittent DVD drive issue, something unrelated, just coincidental to the TSOP but if that is correct the only way to resolve it is likely by TSOPing or chipping so you can use a no DVD check BIOS.     

• Thanks 1

You don't need to use hexen. Simply use apps like configmagic - to lock, unlcok, dump eeprom, etc., use ftp to upload it to local drive.

It takes long time to load CD's.

You successfully TSOPed your xbox.

I highly recommend to use fatxplorer, it can mount individual partitions to be use with windows, lock drive, format HDD, preload xbox partitions with system files, other data, like games and many more.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

...It sounds to me that in your case there is an intermittent DVD drive issue, something unrelated, just coincidental to the TSOP...

Yes, you are correct. I will reform my TSOP hate a bit now.

After removing and reconnecting my 80wire IDE cable, the CD issues are resolved. I no longer get a yellow blinking light due to CD stuff. I was even able to load Hexen again. In which, I tried to ensure my C drive was clean of softmod stuff, but I get the following error: *** something about "batch" and "no TSOP/chip"

I then unlocked the drive as in the video, using Hexen.

I still won't TSOP ever again, but I can reform my hate by saying, that in the most part, my issues here today are not related to the TSOP, and the CD stuff is coincidental to the reflashing. 

****Nope, I'm taking back a lot of what I just typed. After throwing the disc back in to check what the error message really was, I now am getting the yellow blinking light when I turn on the box by ways of the eject button. However, maybe it's because it had said "you won't be able to use the hexen disc again". But even just hitting the power button gets me the yellow blink: I get a flubber and IND bios splash but it goes right to a yellow light. Maybe the unlock didn't work, the TSOP was incomplete or something else???

After 10mins just went by, I tried yet again and now I'm at the TSOP dash (unlock seems to be fine i guess). It's fine for about 5 mins then it turns back off and yellow flashing again. I noticed the temps are extremely high, if the temp reading of the dash is to be trusted, the CPU is running at over 80 degrees Celsius!!! I had removed the clock cap and reapplied thermal compound to the CPU and GPU, as I have with any other xbox I've worked on. I remember noticing temps while i was still simply softmodded to be around 30-40 range.

I now think the yellow blinking is due to thermal shutoff protection...... and it didn't exist before the TSOP

6 minutes ago, prtscn said:

You don't need to use hexen. Simply use apps like configmagic - to lock, unlcok, dump eeprom, etc., use ftp to upload it to local drive.

You successfully TSOPed your xbox.

I highly recommend to use fatxplorer, it can mount individual partitions to be use with windows, lock drive, format HDD, preload xbox partitions with system files, other data, like games and many more.

Good info, thanks my friend!

As far as "successfully", I'm not convinced as it's seemingly overheating after doing the TSOP.

Yes, between FATXplorer and xboxhdm23usb, I've had success previously. Both seem to have their advantages but I haven't been able to get FATXplorer to work as a standalone program. It either doesn't find the device, or it won't lock and unlock. I would have to use the xboxHDM to unlock/lock, then I could discover the device in FATX to browse files, etc.

Thanks for the input!!!

4 minutes ago, nerdbombing said:

I'm an idiot today. I didn't plug the fan back in after all my mods!!!

As far as "successfully", I'm not convinced as it's seemingly overheating after doing the TSOP.

And it's not the TSOP's fault that I forgot this!

Temps are now reading around 40c

Edited by nerdbombing
add temp readout

Just now, nerdbombing said:

Yes, you are correct. I will reform my TSOP hate a bit now.

After removing and reconnecting my 80wire IDE cable, the CD issues are resolved. I no longer get a yellow blinking light due to CD stuff. I was even able to load Hexen again. In which, I tried to ensure my C drive was clean of softmod stuff, but I get the following error: *** something about "batch" and "no TSOP/chip"

I then unlocked the drive as in the video, using Hexen.

I still won't TSOP ever again, but I can reform my hate by saying, that in the most part, my issues here today are not related to the TSOP, and the CD stuff is coincidental to the reflashing. 

****Nope, I'm taking back a lot of what I just typed. After throwing the disc back in to check what the error message really was, I now am getting the yellow blinking light when I turn on the box by ways of the eject button. However, maybe it's because it had said "you won't be able to use the hexen disc again". But even just hitting the power button gets me the yellow blink: I get a flubber and IND bios splash but it goes right to a yellow light. Maybe the unlock didn't work, the TSOP was incomplete or something else???

After 10mins just went by, I tried yet again and now I'm at the TSOP dash (unlock seems to be fine i guess). It's fine for about 5 mins then it turns back off and yellow flashing again. I noticed the temps are extremely high, if the temp reading of the dash is to be trusted, the CPU is running at over 80 degrees Celsius!!! I had removed the clock cap and reapplied thermal compound to the CPU and GPU, as I have with any other xbox I've worked on. I remember noticing temps while i was still simply softmodded to be around 30-40 range.

I now think the yellow blinking is due to thermal shutoff protection...... and it didn't exist before the TSOP

Good info, thanks my friend!

Yes, between FATXplorer and xboxhdm23usb, I've had success previously. Both seem to have their advantages but I haven't been able to get FATXplorer to work as a standalone program. It either doesn't find the device, or it won't lock and unlock. I would have to use the xboxHDM to unlock/lock, then I could discover the device in FATX to browse files, etc.

Thanks for the input!!!

HDD must be unlocked to work with fatx.

Unlock HDD with your xbox, then connect to PC.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, prtscn said:

HDD must be unlocked to work with fatx.

Unlock HDD with your xbox, then connect to PC.

Right, but FTAX is supposed to be able to unlock the drive, and I've yet to get it to work. It acts as though it's unlocking the drive, but it doesn't. I had to use the xboxHDM to get it unlocked, then go back to fatx to explore it.

Just now, nerdbombing said:

Right, but FTAX is supposed to be able to unlock the drive, and I've yet to get it to work. It acts as though it's unlocking the drive, but it doesn't. I had to use the xboxHDM to get it unlocked, then go back to fatx to explore it.

Yes, but i had no detection problems with locked drive. I think locked hdd has to be unlocked when PC bios loading, not in windows, otherwise HDD software will not allow HDD to work.

Edited by prtscn
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nerdbombing said:

but now the eject and power button only fire up the HDD, no video output, no CD spinup and I have an orange flashing ring. Nothing else happens.

Flashing orange eject ring means the System Management Controller is detecting an overheating condition.  Is everything plugged in inside the console?

Edit: I see you forgot to plug the fan in.  :)

• Thanks 1

@KaosEngineercan we(you) add a [SOLVED] to the title? I can't seem to finger it out :P

@Lenox, you're dead on. I was the problem, and let me formally apologize to TSOP flashing:

I'm sorry I was so mad at you because I was being a dumb@ss, it's not your fault, and sorry for throwing you under the bus like that. In the future, I may just go back on my words and try having a relationship with you again. However, for safety sake, I may just stick to softmodding, but I will at least come up with a checklist since I was to incompetent with the basics that were simple mechanics involved in clock cap removal/mobo removal.

I also need to thank you folks for finding time to quickly help me figure out my mistakes!

One last question though. It's evident that my box turned off due to overheating while doing the "Clean C part. after TSOP flash" part of the process, and attempting to repeat it gets me "Batch process failed. The last item was: No TSOP/chip dash found.. Action: rename" I'm not sure this is a problem as everything loads up the IND Bios Dash of UnleashX, but I just want to make sure I should be good. Thanks again.

Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 20-58-57 Voice - (484) 886-1764.png

• KaosEngineer changed the title to [SOLVED] Why did I try to TSOP a 1.4??
  • 1 month later...