OGXbox.com

OG Xbox Flashing Green Rings

Jimward

Hello all,

New to the forum, but have been reading through, and it seems like this may be the best place to the find the answer.  Late last week my OG Xbox stopped reading discs, and now, the disc drive won't even open.  When I boot the console, I get rapid blinking green lights on the eject button.

I opened up the console and cleaned off the censor on the disc drive, but that didn't seem to work.  I had originally gotten this console from a yard sale, but best I can tell, it had never been opened prior.

Below is a screenshot of the motherboard, wondering if a more discerning eye would notice anything out of the ordinary.

https://ibb.co/JtMSYSs

My assumption is that the DVD drive went, but I wanted to rule out anything else.

Thanks!

I would try replacing the load belt ( Black rubber band looking part at the front of the DVD mech) in the DVD drive 1st, As a test you could try boiling the belt and if it starts working then replace it. The other otion is a DVD drive from another OG Xbox but you might be getting the same problem.

I see the clock cap is still in the board and has leaked, You need to remove and clean both sides of the board with 95% or higher ISO and a brush ( Tooth brush is good)

In the red hexagon.

20220715-163228.jpg

It is also looking like the 3 filter caps near the heat sink are about to fail.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thank you both for your feedback! I sincerely appreciate it.  I'll see what I can do about getting a replacement belt, I'm sure I can find one on EBay somewhere.

As far as the board, had no idea I was missing the clock cap leak, but had heard a bunch about that before heading to this forum.  I will remove that, clean the board, and see what happens.

As far as the 3 filter caps go, what gives away that they're about to fail? I have a very limited understanding of MOBOs in general, and have never done any sort of sawdering.

19 hours ago, Jimward said:

Thank you both for your feedback! I sincerely appreciate it.  I'll see what I can do about getting a replacement belt, I'm sure I can find one on EBay somewhere.

As far as the board, had no idea I was missing the clock cap leak, but had heard a bunch about that before heading to this forum.  I will remove that, clean the board, and see what happens.

As far as the 3 filter caps go, what gives away that they're about to fail? I have a very limited understanding of MOBOs in general, and have never done any sort of sawdering.

The capacitor just under the heat sink clip looks like it's top is just starting to curve upward, when you replace one in that location you need to replace all three.

As you say you have not done any soldering don't use you Xbox to learn and in my view you are better off paying some one with experience to replace them.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

On 7/17/2022 at 6:11 AM, SS_Dave said:

The capacitor just under the heat sink clip looks like it's top is just starting to curve upward, when you replace one in that location you need to replace all three.

As you say you have not done any soldering don't use you Xbox to learn and in my view you are better off paying some one with experience to replace them.

Cheers

SS Dave

It took a bit to get all the necessary materials, but I just took out the mobo today, cleaned it, removed the clock cap, and replaced the belt in the drive...

and it works!

I jacked up the disc drive a bit trying to get it out, but it seems like I can fix it (it won't fully close without my assistance, but it seems like one side is off the rails somehow).

Can't thank you enough for your help! Ended up only costing me around $15 to fix everything.

• Like 1