OGXbox.com

1.0 dead ethernet no lights with good cables

nerdbombing

@miggawhatStarted a thread back in 2019, with issues about ethernet port not working right. I have an ethernet problem as well, but different. This is new to me, never had any network problems of this type before.

I bought an ebay "as-is" untested box, luckily it booted up, cd worked, and after 20 years of life, the clock capacitor was in "like new" shape (no leakage or anything, but of course, I still removed it). It had never been opened before, and oddly there was a HDD screw floating around the HDD tray that had come loose, just as an anecdote. Anyway, I took the G & CPUs's heat-sinks out to re-thermal compound them. I plan on making this my first TSOP, getting my feet wetter, so to speak. After softmodding in my normal fashion, I attempted to FTP over the C, eeprom, and MS backups to my master backup storage drive.

Unfortunately, I wasn't getting an IP showing up in the dash, even and after confirming I had all the network settings correct:

1. FTP enabled
  2. Set to static
  3. 192.168.0.2
  4. port 21
  5. 4 users allowed
  6. User and pw both : xbox
  7. Known good x over cable, and double checked on another box (as I describe below)

I was able to copy the C and eeprom's to USB/mem card and transfer to a working 1.6 softmod. I then FTP'd, from the working 1.6, the contents of the memory card. So I can technically upgrade the HDD externally, and add the games and emulators I want. However, I'm more into system link stuff, and a non functioning ethernet port/network stuff isn't desirable.

On the rear of the box, I get NO lights whatsoever. I gave it a little wiggle and jiggle, but nothing would light up and no IP address would show up on the dash. I checked and cleaned the port with swabs/qtips and iso, the swabs came out basically clean. All the pins/tabs looked to have good contact surfaces, none bent or missing, etc.

I'm considering getting a solder pump finally, and trying to swap out the physical port for another one, but swapping ports depends on what advice you fine folks might provide, which I thank you for greatly!!

Anyone else have an issue like this?

V1.0, Unleash X (Ebay #3)

Edited by nerdbombing
Added my own refrence name of xbox

If you have emery cloth it might be worth trying to clean the top of contacts in the port (very lightly, you just want to expose metal not sand them down), and make sure that they're at least a little springy... Before bothering with swapping the port.

Thinking about it... An emery board nail file might fit in an rj45 socket pretty well to do this.

Edited by Yoinx
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yoinx said:

If you have emery cloth it might be worth trying to clean the top of contacts in the port (very lightly, you just want to expose metal not sand them down), and make sure that they're at least a little springy...

Roger that, she's clean as can be, and springy for sure. But before I retest it after this triple cleaning:

I went and tried to ohm things out, but I'm getting counterintuitive results. I thought I could probe each "spring" in the port and check the 8 solder connections below the port. However, after checking 2 xboxes to confirm my findings, I've found that the springs aren't directly going to the solder points. Maybe there's resistors or something in the port itself, cause I'm getting null readings. I even plugged in a cable, to make sure those "springs" weren't depending on a cable actually being in it, but I got no continuity between any of the cable ends and the solder point on the board. Unless I got two bad ports, I'm starting to think it's something farther down the line, but I don't know how that circuit is laid out, what other components are involved, etc.

I'm still going to TSOP flash this while I have it out, then I'll throw it all back together and retest the port then. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks again.

2 hours ago, nerdbombing said:

I'm still going to TSOP flash this while I have it out, then I'll throw it all back together and retest the port then. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks again.

Let's close this thread :(

Tried a TSOP flash, but apparently, I can't handle this simple task. I'm sticking to softmods, as I just ruined a semi working machine just to have a few extra "features". I'd rather jump back and forth with fatxplorer and other programs to deal with hard drive issues, then get a "3 start trys then flashing red and green ring". I don't consider myself a novice with the soldering iron, I've handled quite a few soldering tasks in lots of different things. I've even soldered electronics in the woods with a screw driver, torch, flux and plumbing solder like a cave man that needs to solder. At least this xbox wasn't up to snuff w/ the Ethernet issue, otherwise I'd be real upset.....

but I can confirm, the extra cleaning and testing of the ethernet port did not work, as I had a chance to check it before she fragged.

Thanks for your help folks!

On 7/20/2022 at 11:24 AM, prtscn said:

You must use DHCP instead of static.

Thanks, I will give that I try (but I believe I did). The last time I worked on this, it was fragged. Somehow, it's un-fragged itself, I threw it back on the test bench last night and she booted up w/o issue, so maybe I had isopro still soaked under a chip or something last time. I was even able to get the TSOP to work on it. So she is back to life with a dead ethernet port.

On ALL of my other builds (getting up into the double digits now), I always set it to Static and assign it 192.168.0.2, 4 users, port 21, and make sure FTP is set to active. I use a x over cable, that I just made a few days ago, and is tested out great with my other boxes.

Occasionally, I use a network switch to link my PC to xbox for FTP, but I tend to opt for the x-over cable. Trying the switch didn't change anything, still no IP showing up and not connecting. I never use my home network for connecting to them, it's exclusively an independent network.

When set to DHCP I still get nothing and no lights at ethernet port. Under network settings "Link Status":No Link whether I'm static or DCHP.....

28 minutes ago, nerdbombing said:

Thanks, I will give that I try (but I believe I did). The last time I worked on this, it was fragged. Somehow, it's un-fragged itself, I threw it back on the test bench last night and she booted up w/o issue, so maybe I had isopro still soaked under a chip or something last time. I was even able to get the TSOP to work on it. So she is back to life with a dead ethernet port.

On ALL of my other builds (getting up into the double digits now), I always set it to Static and assign it 192.168.0.2, 4 users, port 21, and make sure FTP is set to active. I use a x over cable, that I just made a few days ago, and is tested out great with my other boxes.

Occasionally, I use a network switch to link my PC to xbox for FTP, but I tend to opt for the x-over cable. Trying the switch didn't change anything, still no IP showing up and not connecting. I never use my home network for connecting to them, it's exclusively an independent network.

When set to DHCP I still get nothing and no lights at ethernet port. Under network settings "Link Status":No Link whether I'm static or DCHP.....

use DHCP, because it will automatically give correct IP address. Never use static if you don't know what it does.
Where do you connect your XBOX. Router, direct to PC with crossover cable, switch?

Ok i read that you use direct connection to PC. So you do it correct. When you use routers, swtich boxes, always use DHCP.

Edited by prtscn

1 hour ago, prtscn said:

use DHCP, because it will automatically give correct IP address. Never use static if you don't know what it does.
Where do you connect your XBOX. Router, direct to PC with crossover cable, switch?

Ok i read that you use direct connection to PC. So you do it correct. When you use routers, swtich boxes, always use DHCP.

Thanks!

I can't find my source atm, but it's been ingrained for me to use static for the FTP process, and/or to use a static IP that doesn't conflict with any other IP's if I were on a home network. But there's a tutorial somewhere, written or video, that taught me to use static, and thus far has never let me down. In fact every box I work on has either 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.3 as the static IP, and weird thing is, they all system link together without ever needing to change those network settings. If I had to guess, once in a game, the default.xbe file turns it to DHCP and assigns IP's from the host box. I thought the first time I system linked some of my modded boxes, I would have to change them all to DHCP, but I have never needed to, weird... Not sure If i mentioned it already, but I've ensured the DNS, gateway and masks are all set to the same thing I use successfully on other boxes: Masks:255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.100* and DNS 's set to 0.0.0.0 (Which should be suitable for basic system link play with no internet needed)

Just to confirm, DHCP is dynamic and allows for the IP to change based on other connected devices so there's never an IP address conflict with 2 or more devices with the same IP. That's a basic generalization right?

As far as the ethernet port issue, what's next in the circuit that I should check? I assume there's no other settings or software stuff I can try or change around that I haven't done already. Could one of the LEDs be burned out and causing issues, or is there info on where the traces from the port's solder points go so I can ohm stuff out? To me, it seems like it has to be a hardware/mechanical issue (but I'm still learning...).

temp net1.jpg

temp net2.jpg

*The screen shot shows the gateway as 191.168.0.100, but I've changed that to be 192.168.0.100. Just consider the screen shot to be a little old and that's been changed since taking the pic. I had it there and bumped the scroll last time I manually entered it, but have performed all tests with it as both numbers I just listed. Same thing with users, but that shouldn't affect anything besides how many 'users' can FTP into the machine at a given moment. I also tried the "Autodetect" option as "yes" and "No" with no difference in results. PASV Port and Min/Max ports are identical to my other mods, same with HTTP options...

Edited by nerdbombing
screen shot comment

TBH it shouldn't matter if you use static or DCHP. If the port works the xbox will connect with either. 

I have a 1.0 with a dead port myself currently and have exact same symptoms as you

. Before you go down the road of swapping the ports, practice on some old dead electronics as removing that port can be quite difficult. I made a right mess the first time I tried , ended up killing 2 boxes that day :(

It is 100% possible to swap as I did manage to do it at the second attempt on another xbox and am considering doing it again with the current one i have that has a dead port.

Nothing in software is going to help you with the issue. If the port is dead then its dead and thats it. :)

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 3:26 AM, nikeymikey said:

Nothing in software is going to help you with the issue. If the port is dead then its dead and thats it. :)

I agree, I don't think this is a software issue. For all i know it could be a bad cap, or other component in the 'ethernet' circuit. What I'm curious about is what's inside that port, as I don't have continuity from the pins to the solder points, which makes me think there's resistors or something in it.

And I hear you about practicing, undoubtedly good advice. I finally bought a solder sucker recently and have been practicing, I hope it does the trick of making this an easier chore. I'll let ya know what I find.

It doesn't seem to be the port itself in my case. I changed it out with one from another parts xbox and nothing changed. Still no lights and no connections starting. I also found that in the back of the port is a small circuit board with smd caps and inductors, explaining why when I probed the internal tabs and the solder points, I got confused.

There must be a bad component farther upstream. As time permits, I'll further tinkering with it.

temp net1.jpg

On 7/30/2022 at 9:06 PM, nerdbombing said:

It doesn't seem to be the port itself in my case. I changed it out with one from another parts xbox and nothing changed. Still no lights and no connections starting. I also found that in the back of the port is a small circuit board with smd caps and inductors, explaining why when I probed the internal tabs and the solder points, I got confused.

There must be a bad component farther upstream. As time permits, I'll further tinkering with it.

temp net1.jpg

Let me know if you find the fault. I'd love to fix the one I have.

• Like 1