OGXbox.com

Already have a mod chip, Considering removing for a Tsop flash

clueless

I have a modchip - currently unknown, I did it 10 years ago...  Considering simplifying things and doing a tsop flash instead.  

So I know that the mod disables the onboard tsop (d0) so without enabling the chip, and disabling the mod, I cant access the tsop.  But with the mod disabled, I cant boot unsigned, and therefore none of the flashing tools.

So, am I correct is saying that once the mod is removed, I will need to soft mod, then flash?  Is there another way?  Switch on the d0 line maybe?  boot to flasher, unplug mod (pin header install, and disconnect d0.  is that even possible?

Open to suggestions...  Or..  I could just leave it alone...

5 hours ago, clueless said:

Switch on the d0 line maybe?  boot to flasher, unplug mod (pin header install, and disconnect d0.  is that even possible?

Open to suggestions...  Or..  I could just leave it alone...

Once the Xbox has booted from a mod chip it can not read/write to the on board bios chip, The Xbox needs boot from the onboard chip to flash it or remove the bios eeprom (Thin Small Outline Package) and use a external chip flasher.

Unless the current mod-chip is a old un-flashable type I would just re-flash it.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Had some thing similar a while back. I ended up just soldering the links on the board, soft modding then TSOP flashing the thing. The mod chip was an early one that just didn't seem to want to flash to anything useful. The box has now got an HDMI compatible bios and a large drive, so everything one usually needs.

Edited by big F

That's exactly what I did to my console, an OpenXenium is useful but if you're only using one BIOS it makes sense.

The easiest way is to softmod the system and do it that way or use SDD's BIOS flashing package so skip softmodding altogether. You'd need an exploitable game of course but that's not difficult to get ahold of.

6 hours ago, Prehistoricman said:

If you have a modchip and FTP access, is there any need for an exploitable game? I don't see any because you should be able to just run the softmodding tools directly with the modchip installed.

True but if the mod chip is old or un-updateable, and its not a 1.6 then unless you need the extra features of say LCD or other stuff then TSOP is the only way needed.  I stripped mod chips out of all mine except two that have Mod chips that run LCDs then dropped them into 1.6 boxes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 9:44 PM, Prehistoricman said:

If you have a modchip and FTP access, is there any need for an exploitable game? I don't see any because you should be able to just run the softmodding tools directly with the modchip installed.

Do you have any links or guides for doing this?