OGXbox.com

How Do I Use Chimp To Extend My Partitions Without Losing My UnleashX Setup?

XboxMon

I successfully cloned my 100GB Maxtor to a Seagate 1TB drive using CHIMP.  All my data, games, skins, etc were intact on the new drive.  Then I went to use CHIMP to extend my partitions on my master drive (the Seagate) so it would recognize all 1TB but much to my chagrin when I rebooted I seemed to lose everything, including my skins, my emulators, and my Xbox games (there were about 100GB worth).  The menu shows the categories and a barebones UnleashX skin but nothing inside them.  How do I extend my partitions on my cloned drive so I get the full 1TB without losing my current UnleashX setup?

AFAIK you can't.  No one ever wrote - released - an app to convert a 16KB cluster size partition to a 32KB or 64KB one.

It doesn't extend partitions.  Data is written to fixed locations on the HDD and the larger HDD will be using a different cluster allocation. 

To do what you want, first FTP download all the files from your current HDD's extended partitions (partition 6 and/or 7 - drive letter F and/or G, respectively) then upload the files back to the new HDD's larger extended partitions.

Update: Hold Up, just a minute...

Chimp 261812 has two methods of cloning.  Sector-by-sector which makes the new HDD have the same sized partitions as the original drive. 

There's also a selective clone option by the partition numbers or is it by drive letters...this may create the new larger sized partitions to fit the new drive's size then it copies the files from the current drive to the new larger sized partitions.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, that first sector-by-sector Chimp 261812 option is what I did and I ended up with a 1TB HDD basically the same size as my Maxtor 100GB.  That selective clone option seems promising.  Has anyone here used it to transfer their data, games and files from a much smaller HDD to a much larger one and still managed to have the extended partition recognized without FTPing everything over?

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Check these video tutorials by Rocky5.  From what I recall, he mentions to always to use the selective clone option instead of the sector-by-sector (update: actually b

Well, that definitely points me in the right direction.  I figure I should select the "split space evenly between :F & :G" option then I'll have plenty of room for future games and that massive XVGM skin with all the media files I recent;y downloaded ;)