OGXbox.com

[Released] Watch YouTube on Original Xbox!

Hello guys. I'm happy to release new YouTube plugin for Original Xbox. Yes, it's now again possible to watch YouTube on this dated hardware. I'm using Invidious for fetching data from YouTube. Here is a video that shows this plugin in action.

Some features of this plugin are:

• Trending Videos
  • Popular Videos
  • Searching
  • Channel view
  • Channel searching
  • Subscribtions
  • Import subscriptions from local YouTube account
  • Suggested channels
  • Suggested videos

Limitations:

• Videos length - currently I don't understand how adaptive streams works and how to use them on Xbox. Because of that I'm using formated streams which means that whole video must be loaded in RAM memory. Because of that on Xboxes with 64MB RAM you can watch video of max 1 hour lenght and on 128MB RAM Xboxes videos of max 3 hours length. I hope I will fix this in the next release.
  • Used of Gateway - OpenSSL 0.9.8 which is latest for our Xbox doesn't support newer versions of TLS encyption. Because there is no public Invidious instance that support older versions of TLS we must use simpe PC application that acts as a gateway between Xbox and Invidious. When I get time, I'll try to host my own Invidious instance that support older versions of TLS or even unencrypted HTTP. Keeping that in mind, when I host my own Invidious instance or someday someone host public instance that support older versions of TLS only one line in plugin code needs to be changed to remove dependence of PC Gateway.

If you encouter any issues please open Issue at GitHub page.

Video Preview

Download Link

Github

spacer.png

Setup_Guide.pdf

Edited by antonic901
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

New release is available at link. Now you can use YouTube solely on Xbox without need of PC Gateway. Thanks to Mr. Rochemont from YouTube now we can watch YouTube on OG Xbox without PC Gateway. He is hosting Invidious Instance without HTTP security protocols like TLS.

Chanelog:

• User now can switch between direct and proxy connection to Invidious Instance inside plugin setttings.

So in the other word, you can decide if you want to use PC Gateway between Xbox and Invidious or you want direct connection to Invidious. By default, direct connection is enabled and it's using Instance that Mr. Rochemont is hosting. Hovever, this is the only one known public instance that have disabled HTTP security protocols. In the other words, you can use this direct connection only with instances that doesn't require TLS1.2 encryption. But, while Instance from Mr. Rochemont is online you shouldn't worry.

How to install:
Extract downloaded zip file. Copy YouTube from Xbox folder to Q:\plugins\video.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Hey man I had finally got my xbox fixed but have been mostly trying to get Linux up and running on it. Finally got around to testing this and wow! Amazing work! Testing it now on a 128mb box running at 824mhz overclocked. Watching movie trailers! John Wick 4 looks like it's gonna be awesome.

• Like 1

Oh wow you can bump the resolution up to 720p! And options to change video from mp4 to avi and mp3, also sync with subscriptions? But that button seems to not do anything. Trying different settings the only thing that seems to work for me is 360p videos and mp4, nothing else will launch.

Edit: nevermind some videos work in 720p but I guess if it doesn't have 720p for that video it just doesn't load and gives no feedback. Getting 15fps with 720p mp4 on 824mhz avi is about 4fps slower so mp4 is the container to use it seems like

Edited by dust08
  • Like 1

720p can only be used on Xboxes with 1.4GHz CPUs and even then video can stutter. So stick with 360p. MP4 container is audio + video, MP3 is only audio. So if you want only to listen music MP3 should be used because it's using less CPU power. But I didn't test that and I don't know does all YT videos have MP3 version. YouTube plugin have some stupid bug which I don't know how to fix. Sometimes videos of 3 hours playing fine, but sometimes after couple of minutes it freezes Xbox or just stops playing. I hope that this bug isn't related to XBMC, but some mistake made by me.

• 3 weeks later...

You are getting this error because public instance that I was using is offline and there is no other public instance that allows communication over plain HTTP. You must use PC Gateway to make connection with official public instances because they require HTTPS with TLS1.2 which Xbox doesn't support. Read the setup guide on how to setup this PC Gateway.

I'm reimplementing this plugin using xbmcswift2. I hope this will fix freezing issues. Also I  created simple Gateway/Proxy which I will be hosting on some cloud server like DigitalOcean so end users won't have to deal with proxy. Until I figure it out how to compile Python with newer OpenSSL this is the best I can do. Anyone can use this proxy to make plugins and end users like you won't have to deal with setting up proxy. For you it will be only "install plugin and use it" :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, antonic901 said:

I'm reimplementing this plugin using xbmcswift2. I hope this will fix freezing issues. Also I  created simple Gateway/Proxy which I will be hosting on some cloud server like DigitalOcean so end users won't have to deal with proxy. Until I figure it out how to compile Python with newer OpenSSL this is the best I can do. Anyone can use this proxy to make plugins and end users like you won't have to deal with setting up proxy. For you it will be only "install plugin and use it" :)

Will this getaway/proxy also be used in some way for the streaming movie and TV series script you made?

Edited by shadowthzero04

No, we don't have TLS problem in this script. This proxy is only used for connecting to APIs that requires TLS1.2+. PC API in this script is used for streaming movies and tv shows from torrent and that is illegal. I can't make that to the public because of illegal content.

Edited by antonic901

New version is released! Plugin is completely rewriten using xbmcswift2. You can download new v0.5.1 release from here. Tutorial on how to install it to Xbox can be found here.

Changelog: 

• Builded from scratch using xbmcswift2
  • Fixed freezing bug #6
  • Added multilanguage support
  • Added option to unsubscribe from channel
  • You don't need to setup proxy on your local network! Just install it on Xbox and start using it!

If you find any bug please open an issue on GitHub! Be sure to find and report all bugs. Thanks in advance!

Please don't read first post. That version is old, it requires Proxy and it has bugs. It is deprecated! The best would be if admins can edit first post and add this. 

Edited by antonic901
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1