OGXbox.com

S Type Controller Analog Stick with no output "+" in tester

AtariSoul

Hello friends

I have bought a couple of faulty controllers off ebay to repair.

The first one I succesfully replaced the sticks with XBOX360 ones, added pots and successfully calibrated precisely to the centre the sticks using XBCD from https://www.s-config.com/xbcd-original-xbox-controllers-win10/ 

The second controller when testing there is no "+" on the left stick (as attached). I've replaced the sticks, but its still the same. The controller had been opened so it could be a botched upgrade. The strange thing is I have searched Google for hours and I cannot find a single post with any type of controller with this issue!

The traces look OK except a couple of pads on the 3 legged pot control. When soldering a new stick I quickly checked the traces to the soldered legs and I get continuity. I will investigate this further, but normally with botched upgrades you do get a signal with the "+" usually stuck on the edge of the square.   

Is there anything obvious I could check first?

Thanks in advance

:)

Capture.png

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t want to derail the discussion, but is there any added benefit in changing the sticks to the x360? Reason I’m asking is that the standard sticks have a very big dead zone and have a small range as a consequence. They sometimes feel more digital then analogue 🙃 especially if I compare it to my PS5. 

2 hours ago, coldasijs said:

Don’t want to derail the discussion, but is there any added benefit in changing the sticks to the x360? Reason I’m asking is that the standard sticks have a very big dead zone and have a small range as a consequence. They sometimes feel more digital then analogue 🙃 especially if I compare it to my PS5. 

ps2, xbox, xbox 360, uses same ALPS analog sticks, sometimes color different and that's it. Probably you have third party analog stick installed with wrong potentiometer value.

Every analog stick is 8bit resolution, even current controllers. So they must act the same. Only difference is mechanical mechanism, softer springs, etc.

Edited by prtscn