OGXbox.com

Bad Aladdin XT Plus?

Heatvent

So I had modded my v 1.4 Xbox with an Aladdin XT Plus and was working fine.  Can't recall what I did but the Xbox started FRAGing with the D0 grounded and modchip installed.  I also have a v 1.0 that I subsequently modded.  I can't get either of them to work with the Aladdin.  I even ordered another one (both are from Aliexpress) to see if it was an issue with the Aladdin chip.  Both boot fine with D0 not grounded and both reboot 3 times and FRAG with D0 soldered to ground and the Aladdin installed.

• I have reflowed and checked my soldering.  D0 has continuity to ground on both the front and back of the board.
  • I have tried both Aladdins in both Xbox's with the same result.
  • I did notice that the D0 pad on the Aladdin does seem to have continuity with ground when plugged in?????  Same thing on both modchips.
  • I also tried reflashing the SST chip manually with a XGPro flasher to see if it was the bios.  No change.
  • BT is soldered to ground on the Aladdins and has continuity to ground when plugged in.
  • I have looked at a number of other threads where there was a similar issue/symptoms but didn't see any with a fix or resolution.

I am at a loss here.  Either I am just absolutely missing something here or the Aladdins no longer work with the Xbox. Although my 1.4 was working not sure what changed .. maybe there are bad components on the modchips?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

It sounds like a install problem, possibly a bad solder joint or a damaged trace.

Can you post a high res pic of the solder work and the PCB around the LPC port.

You upload a pic to one of the many pic share sides (Postimages.com as an example) then add the link here

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I removed the pin header and installed a new pin header. Somewhere (you were correct) there must have been a bad connection / solder or some buried flux under the pin header causing problems or something like that because it is now working.  Thanks for the help!  Now I just need to polish my solder skills.

Thanks!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heatvent said:

I removed the pin header and installed a new pin header. Somewhere (you were correct) there must have been a bad connection / solder or some buried flux under the pin header causing problems or something like that because it is now working.  Thanks for the help!  Now I just need to polish my solder skills.

Thanks!

Some flux and a good touch up should have done it but hey you got her going.  Good shit.

I guess I should say the v1.4 is working, I still need to disassemble the v1.0.

So the 1.4 started acting flakey today. I tried turning on and was met with a blank screen.  After fiddling a bit, it finally booted but then cutout during downloading artwork for XBMC and wouldn't boot back up.  The DVD was making some noises so I swapped out the DVD from the v1.0 and it booted right up.  However, it cut out again (crashed) when doing a download so not sure it's the DVD.  Maybe its the HD or it's overheating or something.  I did replace the thermal paste so I would think that is OK but back to troubleshooting.

UPDATE:

So after a number of tries it booted.  Temps are fine under 60C.  I was able to use it for a while with no issue.  I tried download artwork and afer a minute or two the screen garbled and then went blank.  The eject button is showing orange.

UPDATE2: 

It booted up the first time after crashing. I installed config magic and wanted to make sure my HD was unlocked.  It wasn't so I unlocked it and it about the time it took the screen started getting garbled and then went blank. Maybe this is an issue with the GPU.

UPDATE3:

OK I think I found the issue. I was using a HDMI adapter off of Amazon or Ebay or something and I think the adapter was flaking out and then the Xbox lost video and the ring turned orange.  I have put in an original Xbox video cables and seems to be holding together for now.

Edited by Heatvent