OGXbox.com

Full replacement xbox case

ShinGoutetsu

• 3 weeks later...

There have been quite a few "retro re-shell" projects that I have seen crowd funded in the last year. Have you ever considered trying that route? I know I would back for high quality molded cases.

I mean, the going rate for a OEM blue shell is like $400-$500 right now so I assume there is a market for good replicas.

• 4 months later...

Can some help me im trying to bulid atx back plate in 3d can some tell

On 6/29/2022 at 7:21 AM, ShinGoutetsu said:

So my plan is to design an aftermarket original xbox case that keeps all the original components (mainboard with heatsinks, controller ports, dvd rom, psu, hdd, etc) with the possible exception of the rear fan and metal shielding.

To achieve this I have been 3d modelling all of the internals to ensure everything fits. I have some ideas on the style I want to go for but have some questions.

1. Should I include a place to mount an lcd/oled? 

2. Would you want to keep the xbox jewel?

3. Hdd/lan activity leds?

4. Any other requests

Once I have some feedback the most popular features will be integrated.

For now here are some of the 3d modelled components (to scale)

FB_IMG_1656239561156.jpg

FB_IMG_1656239557451.jpg

FB_IMG_1656239549622.jpg

FB_IMG_1656239553446.jpg

FB_IMG_1656239565360.jpg

I sent you a private message as i need help with my own project i need 3d modal to be made please check your pm.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

It is, just been overloaded with work and also working on other projects such as the slim case.

I'll get back on it as soon as I can

Definitely do. Stainless steel case, xdk case and standard case would all be solid options if I were to choose. :)

Refurb projects could always use a spotless case. If you're able to come up with an inexpensive option to put refurbished parts in, I would buy that constantly... Theoretically 😛

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

More than that for something of this size, approx £50,000 so I'm thinking the ROI wouldn't make it worth doing. I mean how many people actually want a replacement case?

I'd need to sell thousands just to break even.

I was wondering about that... Can you make them yourself 3d printed in smaller batches? Or does that only go so far?... I mean, is that really the only way to get a decent case fabricated and molded?

2 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I was wondering about that... Can you make them yourself 3d printed in smaller batches? Or does that only go so far?... I mean, is that really the only way to get a decent case fabricated and molded?

We'll see, there's the option of 3d printing one and using that to make my own clay mold but I don't have the workspace to do that.

I could try a crowd fund but I doubt it would get the required numbers.

Or I could go to an existing aftermarket case manufacturer and see if they want to take it on.

I'll try 3d printing one anyway and go from there.

18 minutes ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

More than that for something of this size, approx £50,000 so I'm thinking the ROI wouldn't make it worth doing. I mean how many people actually want a replacement case?

I'd need to sell thousands just to break even.

I used to work for an engineering company, they used to make mould tooling, the real cheap simple tools were @ £10k  

Something that simply pressed metal into a shape or stamped a panel, could still be a couple of grand upwards.  

injection mouldings are precision made and usually you meed more than one set, plus they need maintenance and wear out.   Eleflex made the OG cases and they had a whole devision that just made plastic injection mouldings, for various clients.   Some where out there they'll have at least one example of the tooling archived, as thats the kinda thing they would do, can be used as an example for prospective clients and a history thing for them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...