OGXbox.com

Full replacement xbox case

ShinGoutetsu

So my plan is to design an aftermarket original xbox case that keeps all the original components (mainboard with heatsinks, controller ports, dvd rom, psu, hdd, etc) with the possible exception of the rear fan and metal shielding.

To achieve this I have been 3d modelling all of the internals to ensure everything fits. I have some ideas on the style I want to go for but have some questions.

1. Should I include a place to mount an lcd/oled? 

2. Would you want to keep the xbox jewel?

3. Hdd/lan activity leds?

4. Any other requests

Once I have some feedback the most popular features will be integrated.

For now here are some of the 3d modelled components (to scale)

FB_IMG_1656239561156.jpg

FB_IMG_1656239557451.jpg

FB_IMG_1656239549622.jpg

FB_IMG_1656239553446.jpg

FB_IMG_1656239565360.jpg

• Like 5

This is a great idea. Adjusting the mounting trays to account for 80mm fan support would be ideal. I love the look of the original case, so I think as close to that as possible would be good. Something like the development kit, where it looks like a regular console but thicker. This would give lots of room for round cables, ogx360, etc. You gotta keep the jewel. 

• 4 weeks later...

This is sweet, would you mind sharing these models? I had the idea to do something similar a while back but without an optical drive and some other stock components. For this though, I agree with KaosEngineer about the A/V IO, I'd also love some support for intake fans and maybe somewhere to mount an OGX360 installation. Definitely keep the jewel if it looks good with your design.

On 8/4/2022 at 8:04 AM, SoftMachine said:

This is sweet, would you mind sharing these models? I had the idea to do something similar a while back but without an optical drive and some other stock components. For this though, I agree with KaosEngineer about the A/V IO, I'd also love some support for intake fans and maybe somewhere to mount an OGX360 installation. Definitely keep the jewel if it looks good with your design.

Sorry I won't be sharing these models, it's taken hours of work to create them. I will however freely share the case design once finalised.

5 hours ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

Sorry I won't be sharing these models, it's taken hours of work to create them. I will however freely share the case design once finalised.

Maybe a little further down the road share them on Thingiverse or similar, you can set a fee for downloading.  Your models are far better than anything else on there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, will update once I'm back from working away. 

So far from the feedback I think I'll be doing an xdk height case with jewel, reminiscent of the original case but with some more modern style cues.

I'm also thinking of a removable rear panel that can either have the outputs that have been requested or blanked off (two separate plates).

I may raise the hdd and dvd rom trays/brackets to allow more space below for ogx360's and other mods, however that would require a longer IDE cable and possibly extensions for the hdd/dvd rom power. Another option is to have the ogx360 above the dvd rom.

There will be at least one front usb port and I'll do an lcd version and a non lcd version of the case.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...